Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    Someone help me with the whole preferred walk-on thing. What does that actually mean? You get an invite to try out and that's it? I saw a recruit being pursued by most of the LSC committed to Sam Houston State as a preferred walk-on. Made me wonder what the benefit was if he had scholarship offers at multiple D2 schools
    No scholarship, basically just an agreement that they will walk on and make the team.

Comment

Someone help me with the whole preferred walk-on thing. What does that actually mean? You get an invite to try out and that's it? I saw a recruit being pursued by most of the LSC committed to Sam Houston State as a preferred walk-on. Made me wonder what the benefit was if he had scholarship offers at multiple D2 schools
      If and its always an if because D2 only has 36 scholarships to offer and most are broken up. But, if he did have an offer on the table and chose the walk on route either A) he has a very high self esteem or B) not the sharpest knife in the drawer because a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush so to speak. Likelihood of his seeing any playing time or getting a D1 scholarship any time soon is very minimal. Finally C) all of the above. So I guess its all depends on what the offers were.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Seemed like a no brainer to take the scholarship if available. Most likely a practice dummy at a D1 if only given a walk-on

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

If and its always an if because D2 only has 36 scholarships to offer and most are broken up. But, if he did have an offer on the table and chose the walk on route either A) he has a very high self esteem or B) not the sharpest knife in the drawer because a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush so to speak. Likelihood of his seeing any playing time or getting a D1 scholarship any time soon is very minimal. Finally C) all of the above. So I guess its all depends on what the offers were.
          You missed, what I consider, the mist important factor.....Academic reasons.EXAMPLE: If, by chance, he wants to enter Law Enforcement, no better school to pick than SHSU.

Players decide on programs for many different reasons.....here are a few: Some players aspire to play pro football; some just want their college paid for; some players want specific schools regardless of $$ offeted; some players just have enormous ego; some just wanna be close to home. AND according to you Tech, many decide their entire future based on how "snazzy and nifty" the unis are....hahaha..707.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Seemed like a no brainer to take the scholarship if available. Most likely a practice dummy at a D1 if only given a walk-on
            I know of several players who were PWOs and wound up with full rides.....getting significant playing time or becoming starters. Some NFL stars were PWOs....just naming two off hand Santana Moss & JJ Watt.

So taking a partial or tiny DII scholly is not always the best. AND om the flip side, sometimes selecting a DII over a FCS is the better move. Each players situation is different.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

You missed, what I consider, the mist important factor.....Academic reasons.EXAMPLE: If, by chance, he wants to enter Law Enforcement, no better school to pick than SHSU.

Players decide on programs for many different reasons.....here are a few: Some players aspire to play pro football; some just want their college paid for; some players want specific schools regardless of $$ offeted; some players just have enormous ego; some just wanna be close to home. AND according to you Tech, many decide their entire future based on how "snazzy and nifty" the unis are....hahaha..707.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                Waiting for the one that says "WT finally has a place kicker."
                https://twitter.com/h_hillp18

https://twitter.com/h_hillp18/status...06236777066502

Comment

https://kohlskicking.com/player-prof...ip-hunter-hill

Looks like a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                    Looks like a keeper to me. Wonder if he will handle punting also?
                    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

I watched his highlights on hudl. 1/3 scholarship for a kickoff man. 1/3 scholarship for a place kicker. 1/3 scholarship for a punter. If I'm Coach Hughes, especially after our sorry ass kicking last year that definitely cost us the Angelo game and maybe the Commerce game, this kid gets a full ride!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I watched his highlights on hudl. 1/3 scholarship for a kickoff man. 1/3 scholarship for a place kicker. 1/3 scholarship for a punter. If I'm Coach Hughes, especially after our sorry ass kicking last year that definitely cost us the Angelo game and maybe the Commerce game, this kid gets a full ride!!!
                        Yes, he can handle all 3 aspects. BUT my question is whether we were able to sign his holder too?? :-)
                        https://twitter.com/h_hillp18/status...84265286012931

Comment

Originally posted by ras619 View Post

Yes, he can handle all 3 aspects. BUT my question is whether we were able to sign his holder too?? :-)
                          https://twitter.com/h_hillp18/status...84265286012931
                          Yes, I saw that. If he's smart he'll bring her with him.

Comment

I will literally sleep better tonight!

Comment

Regardless of where they play or how "snazzy and nifty" their unis are, the vast majority of college players don't have a fairy tale ending. Especially that of PWOs like JJ Watt or Santana Moss.

Regarding picking based on "snazzy and nifty" unis, Jimmy G. didn't and look where it got him!!!!! 707

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X