Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNM brings back Rocky Long as DC

https://golobos.com/news/2020/1/27/f...ordinator.aspx

UNM finally pulls its head out and realizes that they need to run a unique program. They hired a new HC who learned under Long's system, Gonzales has begun his staff hiring by bringing in more Long disciples.

Shockingly enough he was able to talk his old HC into comming back to UNM to be DC.

This excites me as Long had built his teams emphasising finding the hidden talent in New Mexico. He built up a great rep with nm hs coaches and always held spots for in state walk ons.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Long's retirement from SDSU surprised me. Especially when I read that he had gone back to New Mexico. Was he just tired of being a head coach? It seemed like a strange mood to quit, then take an assistant job.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
      Long's retirement from SDSU surprised me. Especially when I read that he had gone back to New Mexico. Was he just tired of being a head coach? It seemed like a strange mood to quit, then take an assistant job.
      From what I gather...

Rocky had the same problem at SDSU that he ran into at UNM impatience, SD was wanting Alabama results on a much smaller budget, he was quite successful, arguably more successful than previous coaches but they wanted more now. Rocky long left with second most wins in school history and with the highest career win percentage in school history.

He owns the most wins in UNM foitball history.

He alo has said that he was just wanting to go back to recruiting and being a DC.

He is a native NM graduated from UNM so there is that, I really think he has never given up his desire to see his alma mater gain respectable notoriety.

Comment

I lived at UNM for 3 weeks playing in a basketball tournament back in the day. LOVED that place. I always said if I was going to go out of state for school, that's where I would have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          I think I would rather live in Albuquerque than South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post

I think I would rather live in Albuquerque than South Dakota.
            Well....the mens and women's basketball teams are not shining examples of that, 3 girls quit over team conditions, and another one just got shot last night at a house party at a house rented by an athlete to throw the party.

San Diego State Univ. =SDSU but I think you already know that and are being cute....

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
              I lived at UNM for 3 weeks playing in a basketball tournament back in the day. LOVED that place. I always said if I was going to go out of state for school, that's where I would have gone.
              Easily one of the best college basketball venues, I didnt say the best just one of them.

20k fans, indoors, UNMvNMst it's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Easily one of the best college basketball venues, I didnt say the best just one of them.

and underground.....very awesome playing in The Pit

Comment

Well....the mens and women's basketball teams are not shining examples of that, 3 girls quit over team conditions, and another one just got shot last night at a house party at a house rented by an athlete to throw the party.

San Diego State Univ. =SDSU but I think you already know that and are being cute....
                  I'll have to be honest. I saw that and thought South Dakota State University. After acknowledging my error, I must say that he can not be very smart. Who in their right mind would leave San Diego for Albuquerque? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post

I'll have to be honest. I saw that and thought South Dakota State University. After acknowledging my error, I must say that he can not be very smart. Who in their right mind would leave San Diego for Albuquerque? ;-)
                    A man who is on a mission.

Comment

Air Force used to be great as well when their men's team was good. All concrete, super steep, nowhere for sound to escape. They had some great games against UNM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                        The area surrounding UNM is not the best, great campus though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X