Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pac 12 looking to Private Equity to close the $$$ gap

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    To do what? DirecTV is a transmittor of content, not a producer.
    Seriously Herb?

Who owns DirecTV?

Does that parent company own any content producing companies?

Think it through slowly. Ask a friend to explain it to you if need be.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Well, since I am the only TU or Longhorn defender on here, I'll give it a try.

In UT's defense, do any of you think if ESPN had gone to A&M, OU or any other school with it's own network, they wouldn't have jumped at it? Really you all need to think about that before you answer it because the answer is they would take the money and run in heartbeat. The "woe is us" I hear from Aggie fans and UT haters is laughable to say the least. And I think it's funny how people take shots at Texas and their demands when they are one of the biggest revenue drivers in college sports, so they should have a little bit more of a say so vs a firkin KU or Baylor. You all sound like a bunch whinny Liberal Nancy Pelosi Democrats asking for the big bad wolf to pay more or bend over more because he makes more. Lenin and Castro would be proud of some of you.

I agree Deloss Dodds was a prick and I'm glad he's gone. In his place is now a big picture kind of guy in Chris Del Conte and he's done a good balancing act of trying to pacify the blue blood money people like Red McComb who by life expectancy will not be in their positions of influence at the university for too much longer. And he trying and succeeding at getting new money and broader support system in place and UT folks have responded. The gameday atmosphere is night and day compared to pre DelConte for example. I will say this with full confidence that if there is one person among Big 12 AD's right now that is looking way down the road about the future of the Big 12, it's Del Conte. And judging from what I've heard from some people in the know, if it involves a reproach to the LHN among other things, it will be on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        Well, since I am the only TU or Longhorn defender on here, I'll give it a try.

In UT's defense, do any of you think if ESPN had gone to A&M, OU or any other school with it's own network, they wouldn't have jumped at it? Really you all need to think about that before you answer it because the answer is they would take the money and run in heartbeat. The "woe is us" I hear from Aggie fans and UT haters is laughable to say the least. And I think it's funny how people take shots at Texas and their demands when they are one of the biggest revenue drivers in college sports, so they should have a little bit more of a say so vs a firkin KU or Baylor. You all sound like a bunch whinny Liberal Nancy Pelosi Democrats asking for the big bad wolf to pay more or bend over more because he makes more. Lenin and Castro would be proud of some of you.

I agree Deloss Dodds was a prick and I'm glad he's gone. In his place is now a big picture kind of guy in Chris Del Conte and he's done a good balancing act of trying to pacify the blue blood money people like Red McComb who by life expectancy will not be in their positions of influence at the university for too much longer. And he trying and succeeding at getting new money and broader support system in place and UT folks have responded. The gameday atmosphere is night and day compared to pre DelConte for example. I will say this with full confidence that if there is one person among Big 12 AD's right now that is looking way down the road about the future of the Big 12, it's Del Conte. And judging from what I've heard from some people in the know, if it involves a reproach to the LHN among other things, it will be on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
          Seriously Herb?

Who owns DirecTV?

Does that parent company own any content producing companies?

Think it through slowly. Ask a friend to explain it to you if need be.
          Last edited by Herb Street; 01-01-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Comment

Putting Mizzou and Colorado in the same category as Aggy and Cornhusker is problematic. Those two have never been athletic powers, save for a few years here and there and never will.

Comment

Comment

ya
                  Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  Putting Mizzou and Colorado in the same category as Aggy and Cornhusker is problematic. Those two have never been athletic powers, save for a few years here and there and never will.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Herb Street; 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Comment

To do what? DirecTV is a transmittor of content, not a producer.
                            They are both via AT&T owning them and Time Warner. That was the only point I was making.

The media landscape has changed since the Pac-12 Network was created, but the Pac-12 has not kept up. Perhaps this is where a for-profit investor can help out.

Insiders at the Pac-12 headquarters say Scott (Pac-12 Commissioner) could have, and should have, got a distribution deal done with DirecTV. Scott locked up cable companies early. And then, he engaged DirecTV in a standoff that one high-ranking conference official called, "a staring contest."

Cable companies have always been willing to pay premium rates for sports content that viewers in their footprint care deeply about. Not everyone loves to watch the Pac-12, though. The advantage cable companies had was that they could turn on/off the programming, creating packages that worked for their subscribers. DirecTV could not at the time, and as a result it needed rates that wouldn't be costly to subscribers who were not interested in the Pac-12 Network.

Trouble is, discount provisions in the contracts Scott negotiated with the cable companies and Dish Network would kick in if he discounted the rates for DirecTV. Basically, he'd have to unwind the contracts and give money back.

Scott had a dilemma: He could either have eyeballs of millions of DirecTV households or he could hold the line on rates.

Said one conference executive: "The thinking was that Pac-12 fans would raise so much noise that DirecTV would eventually have to agree to a deal. I think Larry overestimated how rabid the Pac-12 fan would be about calling DirecTV to raise hell.

"SEC fans would have gone into DirecTV with molotov cocktails."

AT&T now owns DirecTV. It's in the content business and now it's not only refusing to cut a distribution deal with the Pac-12 Conference, it's removed the programming from U-Verse service.
                            The end result is
                            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Comment

Agree 100%

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X