Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

I've got a kiddo headed to Oklahoma State in the fall and they are packed to the gills, no drop off there

its a long ways to August my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
      At Tarleton currently, a student pays a $220 (max 10 hours x $22) athletic fee per semester. Beginning in the fall, a Tarleton student will pay $360 ( max 10 hours x $36). So a Tarleton student will see a maximum increase of $140 per semester for the athletic fee.
      So essentially, a student is paying $720 per year for some semi-pro sports. How many students show up at a typical basketball game at Tarleton? A few dozen at the most?

This whole thing is a charade and COVID is going to expose it as students are now figuring out they can get their degrees online.

The coming months will be interesting for the landscape of the current college athletics model.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

So essentially, a student is paying $720 per year for some semi-pro sports. How many students show up at a typical basketball game at Tarleton? A few dozen at the most?

This whole thing is a charade and COVID is going to expose it as students are now figuring out they can get their degrees online.

The coming months will be interesting for the landscape of the current college athletics model.
        I have had this discussion with dozens of WT friends of mine the last few years wanting to go D1. They keep thinking attendance at football and basketball games is going to be overflowing every game with a D1 move. Problem is the average fan isnt going to be stoked about Houston Baptist, Rio Grande Valley, etc. coming to play home games in basketball and same for football with Incarnate Word or a Northern Colorado.

Houston Baptist plays basketball in an elementary type gym with 3 benches on each side and even Stephen F. Austin who beat Duke earlier this year struggles to fill half their attendance during the week with conference games.

Comment

D2 programs are funded primarily by student fees, way more than all other revenue sources combined. Any other revenue isn't even a close 2nd.
          Isn't this money used to fund all athletic programs at a school, not JUST football?

Just looked at West Liberty's fee schedule and don't see any "athletic fee" or even general "student activity fee." Only fee that could arguably be construed as going to athletics is a $75/semester "Special Equity Fee" which according to the school is "A fee used solely for the purpose of complying with the provisions of Title IX." But according to the description, none goes to the football program...or any men's program for that matter.

Comment

Hardly call the 1306 who attend Tarleton home basketball games a few dozen.

Comment

So, how do you teach yourself Calculus 2, 3 &4 online? How do you teach yourself Accounting and Finance online? How do teach yourself Quantum Physics or Pharmacology? Science Labs? Hands on ?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

So, how do you teach yourself Calculus 2, 3 &4 online? How do you teach yourself Accounting and Finance online? How do teach yourself Quantum Physics or Pharmacology? Science Labs? Hands on ?
                Workplaces everywhere have turned to zoom and my girlfriend has been using it for her classes 100% on-line for over a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Hardly call the 1306 who attend Tarleton home basketball games a few dozen.

how many of those fans are under the age of 50? Let's get real here.

Comment

Isn't this money used to fund all athletic programs at a school, not JUST football?

Just looked at West Liberty's fee schedule and don't see any "athletic fee" or even general "student activity fee." Only fee that could arguably be construed as going to athletics is a $75/semester "Special Equity Fee" which according to the school is "A fee used solely for the purpose of complying with the provisions of Title IX." But according to the description, none goes to the football program...or any men's program for that matter.

this isn't just a football problem. The entirety of the college athletics finance model is going to be exposed in the coming months.

Comment

this isn't just a football problem. The entirety of the college athletics finance model is going to be exposed in the coming months.
                      Ahhh...So you think all college athletics should be shut down. GOT IT!!

Are you in favor of holding other academic and student activity programs to the same profit/loss standard you are holding athletics to??

Comment

Ahhh...So you think all college athletics should be shut down. GOT IT!!

Are you in favor of holding other academic and student activity programs to the same profit/loss standard you are holding athletics to??
                        I don't know that I ever posted what I "think" should be done, nor what I am "in favor" of. I personally don't like this b.s. I personally think this entire COVID thing is blown completely out of proportion and is ruining our economy. I personally think the leaders of our country are counting only the benefits of our draconian mitigation steps, and not the cost. But I'm not in charge.

Comment

I don't know that I ever posted what I "think" should be done, nor what I am "in favor" of. I personally don't like this b.s. I personally think this entire COVID thing is blown completely out of proportion and is ruining our economy. I personally think the leaders of our country are counting only the benefits of our draconian mitigation steps, and not the cost. But I'm not in charge.

Remember to hold that thought just in case you or a family member ends up on a ventilator.
                          Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 04-10-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanghai Mule View Post

If you or a family member catch it and have to go on a ventilator, I doubt that you'll be thinking about the economy.......just a guess.

Comment

Patience grasshopper.....who said anything about 2022. You open it up to soon and you invite an even more deadly second wave of the virus. We need tons more testing to know the extent of the spread. Once you have a handle on that, then you're better prepared to go forward on the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Workplaces everywhere have turned to zoom and my girlfriend has been using it for her classes 100% on-line for over a year now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X