Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Ruling a way to discourage Senior eligibility

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...s-with-a-catch

I don't know that the NCAA has any choice. While it is benevolent of them to offer the spare year of eligibility, the NCAA isn't the one paying for the scholarship. Schools are going to be cash strapped post-COVID as it is, much less funding scholarships for an extra class.

Comment

I find it interesting that they say the seniors that come back could have their scholarship reduced. As a coach I would think that if those seniors that lost a year were coming back, I would want them on scholarship over an incoming freshman that has not proven anything. I would always choose the known over the unknown if you think you will be competing for a conference title. If your senior class was not strong and you see it as a rebuilding year then I guess I could see this happening. To me, 3-4 years in a program will always trump someone just coming in to the program.

Comment

The seniors have already had their 4 years ( or five ) years of school . The incoming class has signed a contract with terms of their scholarship layed out . If the school does not live up to the agreement , they open up another can of worms. Which could be very expensive .

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
          The seniors have already had their 4 years ( or five ) years of school . The incoming class has signed a contract with terms of their scholarship layed out . If the school does not live up to the agreement , they open up another can of worms. Which could be very expensive .
          So are we running quasi-professional sports, or higher education?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

So are we running quasi-professional sports, or higher education?
            Yes
            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Not sure about everywhere else but it will be tough around here. Lot of business donors are already canceling their monthly contributions to the Ram Club and endowments are suffering. Lot of schools will have problems meeting their current obligations much less giving additional scholarships to 5th/6th year seniors since spring sports will require 2 semesters.

Students on academic scholarships are probably the ones who will return.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X