Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Softball

Today I had the pleasure of watching the Lady Buffs play in the Houston area for the first time. Shayne Starkey added to her legacy by picking up a save in the first game and a complete game win in the second, which was much closer. She hit .571 today with a slugging percentage of 1.0, including a devastating double in the second game that led to 3 runs. She pitched 10 innings for the day and mowed the opposition down in the last couple of innings of the last game. Not a bad afternoon.

Also successful was Coveney who hit .667 and a 1.667 slugging percentage. It was great to see Cruz return from a year off and hit .500. The rest of the team added some timely hits and walks but didn't do well with their batting averages. There's work to be done, but it's nice to start 2-0. Also impressive are the new uniforms, maroon tops and white pants - something we haven't seen in a long time.

There were several other LSC teams in town today. How did you guys do?

Re: OT: Softball

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    Today I had the pleasure of watching the Lady Buffs play in the Houston area for the first time. Shayne Starkey added to her legacy by picking up a save in the first game and a complete game win in the second, which was much closer. She hit .571 today with a slugging percentage of 1.0, including a devastating double in the second game that led to 3 runs. She pitched 10 innings for the day and mowed the opposition down in the last couple of innings of the last game. Not a bad afternoon.

Also successful was Coveney who hit .667 and a 1.667 slugging percentage. It was great to see Cruz return from a year off and hit .500. The rest of the team added some timely hits and walks but didn't do well with their batting averages. There's work to be done, but it's nice to start 2-0. Also impressive are the new uniforms, maroon tops and white pants - something we haven't seen in a long time.

It was a fun day & great start of the season. Offense, as you said will need some work but will improve. Defensively, I was very pleased for the day with the exception of one "freshman" mistake in diving for a ball in left field - other than that they were top notch behind some very good pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by ras619 View Post
      It was a fun day & great start of the season. Offense, as you said will need some work but will improve. Defensively, I was very pleased for the day with the exception of one "freshman" mistake in diving for a ball in left field - other than that they were top notch behind some very good pitching.
      You are right! No errors, and a 100% fielding average.

Comment

Not in Houston, but the Belles beat #15 Palm Beach Atlantic 10-3 today in Florida. They will play Florida Tech (of which I am an alum (MBA 1986)) tomorrow.

Ram baseball won its opener today in San Angelo over Mines 14-1.

Comment

Commerce got 2 good wins, including over 20 ranked host team. How is WT not ranked in the coaches poll? Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            Commerce got 2 good wins, including over 20 ranked host team. How is WT not ranked in the coaches poll? Unreal.
            You got to earn it. I hope the softball team will be pretty good. We lost AA Hardin. Pitching? Too early to tell if WT will be a 30 game winner or a 40 plus game team. This is Abrams' team now, not Blaskowskis's. The verdict's still out.

Comment

How did freshman pitcher Lair look in the first game? She was way overused last year at CHS. Her high school coach, selfishly, did Lair no favors. I wonder if she's still got the same steam she showed as a junior and the first part of her senior year. She looked tired and worn down coming down the stretch last season.

Comment

Kingsville and Cameron both picked up 2 wins yesterday too. Tarleton split theirs. LSC is going to be a beast of a conference this season.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                  You got to earn it. I hope the softball team will be pretty good. We lost AA Hardin. Pitching? Too early to tell if WT will be a 30 game winner or a 40 plus game team. This is Abrams' team now, not Blaskowskis's. The verdict's still out.
                  What happened with Hardin??
                  The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                    What happened with Hardin??
                    Graduated

Comment

Got it - I was thinking she had another year.
                      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Dang....already moving on from WBB??? Lol.

Comment

Pops I thought I cured you of your LOL addiction. Here's a helping thought: 7O7.

The Lady Buffs dropped their last 3 games in Houston, which I missed because I'm travelling. Each loss was by 1 run.

Pitching has taken a turn for the worse with the team ERA being over 5. Also a couple of 3rd year starters aren't hitting. The biggest bright spot is Mel Huggins who is leading the team in batting average and OB percentage, which is really good for a freshman.

We could use another Rita or Hannah and another Jessica Sipe!

Comment

After following ASU online this past weekend, it appears as though we are going to have to outscore people once we get into conference play. Our pitchers threw relatively well this weekend, but we do not have a Brandy, Kennedy, or even a Morgan. Since I started following the program in 2005, this is the weakest (on paper) pitching staff we have had. We had a stud high school girl who had committed to play for us as a sophomore or maybe a junior. She made the trip to Virginia with her parents on their own dime to witness the world series. She was going to come in be the day 1 starter in the circle. However, after 3 days on campus she got home sick, withdrew, and isn't playing anywhere. Also, had a stud JUCO pitcher who lead the country in strikeouts last year that was not eligible to transfer. So to say we are thin and inexperienced in the circle is definitely an understatement. However, our offense should be extremely dangerous with Barnhill returning at 100% after and injury took most of her season last year, Rocha, and the preseason POY in Taegan Kirk. We had several newcomers come in and start from day 1 who are going to be counted on, which is always scary but I believe this team figures it out in time.

I don't think we are a World Series caliber team as we don't have the pitching yet, but we definitely could be a team to play in the regional tournament and once you get there, there is no telling what can happen.

We've got 6 homes games this weekend against what most would call subpar competition so we should be able to get some quality innings and at bats for some folks.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                              After following ASU online this past weekend, it appears as though we are going to have to outscore people once we get into conference play. Our pitchers threw relatively well this weekend, but we do not have a Brandy, Kennedy, or even a Morgan. Since I started following the program in 2005, this is the weakest (on paper) pitching staff we have had. We had a stud high school girl who had committed to play for us as a sophomore or maybe a junior. She made the trip to Virginia with her parents on their own dime to witness the world series. She was going to come in be the day 1 starter in the circle. However, after 3 days on campus she got home sick, withdrew, and isn't playing anywhere. Also, had a stud JUCO pitcher who lead the country in strikeouts last year that was not eligible to transfer. So to say we are thin and inexperienced in the circle is definitely an understatement. However, our offense should be extremely dangerous with Barnhill returning at 100% after and injury took most of her season last year, Rocha, and the preseason POY in Taegan Kirk. We had several newcomers come in and start from day 1 who are going to be counted on, which is always scary but I believe this team figures it out in time.

I don't think we are a World Series caliber team as we don't have the pitching yet, but we definitely could be a team to play in the regional tournament and once you get there, there is no telling what can happen.

We've got 6 homes games this weekend against what most would call subpar competition so we should be able to get some quality innings and at bats for some folks.
                              You could be describing WT. Looks like Commerce will be the team tho beat.

I'm not sold on Abrams at WT. If WT finishes 3rd or 4th this year and wins maybe 30..........that's not acceptable. Period. I hope our AD is already compiling a short list. I believe he should have opened it up. Abrams' should have been interim all year. Then a search for a new coach. My opinion only.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X