Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wt New OC

It has been made public that Russ Martin is the new OC. All I know is what I have seen on the Wt web-site.
    Any insights??
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

He threw in the towel on his radio career?! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
      It has been made public that Russ Martin is the new OC. All I know is what I have seen on the Wt web-site.
      Any insights??
      He has a ton of experience at the college level. His offense at Mesa consistently put up high numbers. I did read it all starts with the run of course.

Comment

Well, if you have some of the talent you had in the Carthel days, it will be like the good 'ol days. He is good at offense. You'll need all the pieces - good talent at receiver, obviously a line that can block, a good solid running back, but especially a QB with a very good arm who can also run. One thing that bugged me at Mesa is that his QB's never read blitzes very well. Not sure if that was poor teaching or due to the kids, but the QB's struggled picking it up. But if you have solid line play (even just a couple of good guys), at least one burner at "X" and a good possession receiver, along with talent at QB, you can expect to put up points. (yeah, I know, what's new)

I'm guessing the general talent level at WT is better than Mesa. He and Hughes I'm sure know each other well.

This is a good marriage, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
          Well, if you have some of the talent you had in the Carthel days, it will be like the good 'ol days. He is good at offense. You'll need all the pieces - good talent at receiver, obviously a line that can block, a good solid running back, but especially a QB with a very good arm who can also run. One thing that bugged me at Mesa is that his QB's never read blitzes very well. Not sure if that was poor teaching or due to the kids, but the QB's struggled picking it up. But if you have solid line play (even just a couple of good guys), at least one burner at "X" and a good possession receiver, along with talent at QB, you can expect to put up points. (yeah, I know, what's new)

I'm guessing the general talent level at WT is better than Mesa. He and Hughes I'm sure know each other well.

This is a good marriage, I think.
          I think your right. We have some front line pieces and depth at RB. Depth is an issue at other places. Our "D" was improved last year, I look for continued improvement in that part of the game. Russ has said it all starts with the run. I am guessing play-action is a big part of his scheme. We lost a very winnable game against Angelo and missed the playoffs by one game, I hope we get over that hump this year. Gerber is a solid QB. (wish he had more arm strength) The staff "found" and year for our "jack-of-all-trades" Jordan Johnson. It could be a good year to be a Buff.

Comment

I think your right. We have some front line pieces and depth at RB. Depth is an issue at other places. Our "D" was improved last year, I look for continued improvement in that part of the game. Russ has said it all starts with the run. I am guessing play-action is a big part of his scheme. We lost a very winnable game against Angelo and missed the playoffs by one game, I hope we get over that hump this year. Gerber is a solid QB. (wish he had more arm strength) The staff "found" and year for our "jack-of-all-trades" Jordan Johnson. It could be a good year to be a Buff.
            Not so much play action like the West Coast, but deception via the RPO. Works best with a really good back and good QB, with speed downfield. It is quick strike at times, but possession as well. Mesa's TOP was decent (around 50-50 most times), but the "D" will have to be ready for quick turnarounds. I'll be interested to follow WT and see how it goes. Your guys should adapt quickly.

Comment

WT announced that Will Wagner has been hired as DB coach and special teams coordinator. It looks like he was at ACU last year after being canned at Angelo

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                WT announced that Will Wagner has been hired as DB coach and special teams coordinator. It looks like he was at ACU last year after being canned at Angelo
                Know nothing about him, Hughes has made good hires in the past, I'm guessing this will be another one.

Comment

Know nothing about him, Hughes has made good hires in the past, I'm guessing this will be another one.
                  He was the head coach at Angelo for 8 years I think. Surprised he had interest in coming to WT as an assistant after being a HC. I guess coach Martin is the same boat coming from Mesa. A lot of experience in the staff for this year...maybe all for naught

Comment

I think Will may have decided that he does not have the mind set for a HC. Will seemed to have difficulty closing the deal on top recruits. He was a great secondary coach at NWMSU. Great guy and I wish he'd had the success to stay at ASU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X