Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since some conferences don't play a complete round robin schedue, example SEC , will they replace their non conference games with more conference games ?

Comment

A conference only schedule accomplishes things:

1. The Conference can impose a uniform testing procedure
      2. Gives the conference time to push back the season a few weeks or possibly move it to the spring
      3. Allows for less outside contamination during games. The same 8-12 schools will be all playing each other
      4. Allows the conference to come up with a uniform policy of what determines when a game should be cancelled

Comment

Originally posted by olebuff View Post
        Since some conferences don't play a complete round robin schedue, example SEC , will they replace their non conference games with more conference games ?
        That would be the plan. I'm guessing Notre Dame's phone is probably ringing off the hook since their schedule is getting decimated and they've got openings everywhere now because of not being in a conference

Comment

The chatter here in Texas at the high school level is starting to heat up to flip fall sports to spring and the spring sports to fall. The spring sports allow more social distancing and wouldn't require as much time to get ready if the UIL decides to flip the switch at the last minute. So we could very well have high school baseball, track, softball, etc here in September with football and volleyball sometime in March if this train leaves the station. Many of your baseball and softball kids are playing summer leagues right now and I suspect the same is true with college athletes in these sports. Serious individual sports (track and field) athletes stick to their regimen, so they should be meet ready come fall with maybe a shorter season. This would allow the seniors to live out what is going to be the last of their team sports careers for many instead of the abrupt chain of events which led to not having closure for these kids, parents and the coaches. It broke my heart to see kids who had worked their asses off not get a chance to finish their seasons this past spring.

I hope the NCAA kind of takes the same approach like now. If we have to play bowl games or whatever form of championships next June, so be it. If we have to have short turnaround for the fall of the 2021 season , let do it. But let's not put up the white flag on sports for any of these kids at all level as we approach the new academic year. We need sports now more than ever! They unify us at the local level and we can all use a lot of diversion from a lot of the noise going on right now ,

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
            The chatter here in Texas at the high school level is starting to heat up to flip fall sports to spring and the spring sports to fall. The spring sports allow more social distancing and wouldn't require as much time to get ready if the UIL decides to flip the switch at the last minute. So we could very well have high school baseball, track, softball, etc here in September with football and volleyball sometime in March if this train leaves the station. Many of your baseball and softball kids are playing summer leagues right now and I suspect the same is true with college athletes in these sports. Serious individual sports (track and field) athletes stick to their regimen, so they should be meet ready come fall with maybe a shorter season. This would allow the seniors to live out what is going to be the last of their team sports careers for many instead of the abrupt chain of events which led to not having closure for these kids, parents and the coaches. It broke my heart to see kids who had worked their asses off not get a chance to finish their seasons this past spring.

I hope the NCAA kind of takes the same approach like now. If we have to play bowl games or whatever form of championships next June, so be it. If we have to have short turnaround for the fall of the 2021 season , let do it. But let's not put up the white flag on sports for any of these kids at all level as we approach the new academic year. We need sports now more than ever! They unify us at the local level and we can all use a lot of diversion from a lot of the noise going on right now ,
            One thing I am relieved about is at least now in NM I have some certainty as to when our season will start. The constant nit knowing was very stressful.
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

One thing I am relieved about is at least now in NM I have some certainty as to when our season will start. The constant nit knowing was very stressful.
              Yes. This was a wise move. It has cause some havoc with the El Paso/Far West Texas and some Panhandle schools who schedule NM schools for non district games. It would be great if the governing organizations in each state can coordinate to have common start time in the spring so schedules can be retained.

Up until this last week I was on the let's play in fall or try at least attempt to get a season going. But after seeing major revisions coming down the from the college ranks, you can see the avalanche is just starting to get momentum. We should expect more this coming week. Plus you have backlash coming from the education establishment on the K-12 level about re opening campuses and you throw in trying to start a football season into all of this..... it will be disaster and the first thing will be for the decision makers to give up even if nothing close to worse case scenario reaps it's ugly head such a few isolated outbreaks traced to contact football. Let's give this crap another few months to potentially spin it's self out of existence or at least something that we can move on from with precautions and get back to a sense of normal. And in football, you have so many other things which are related such as band, cheer, pep squads , etc and those kids look forward to participating. And let's not leave out the communities themselves... Friday night lights is a big revenue generator in many smaller communities and I would think some of those restaurants who managed to survive now and will through the fall would not mind deferring the revenue those evening bring to the spring if we can have a season with some degree of certainty.

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Yes. This was a wise move. It has cause some havoc with the El Paso/Far West Texas and some Panhandle schools who schedule NM schools for non district games. It would be great if the governing organizations in each state can coordinate to have common start time in the spring so schedules can be retained.

Up until this last week I was on the let's play in fall or try at least attempt to get a season going. But after seeing major revisions coming down the from the college ranks, you can see the avalanche is just starting to get momentum. We should expect more this coming week. Plus you have backlash coming from the education establishment on the K-12 level about re opening campuses and you throw in trying to start a football season into all of this..... it will be disaster and the first thing will be for the decision makers to give up even if nothing close to worse case scenario reaps it's ugly head such a few isolated outbreaks traced to contact football. Let's give this crap another few months to potentially spin it's self out of existence or at least something that we can move on from with precautions and get back to a sense of normal. And in football, you have so many other things which are related such as band, cheer, pep squads , etc and those kids look forward to participating. And let's not leave out the communities themselves... Friday night lights is a big revenue generator in many smaller communities and I would think some of those restaurants who managed to survive now and will through the fall would not mind deferring the revenue those evening bring to the spring if we can have a season with some degree of certainty.
                  ANOTHER great post.

Comment

The National Junior College Athletic Association is expected to approve a proposal that would move football season to the spring, according to Dr. Christopher Parker, president and CEO. The decision was first reported by The Athletic. So it begins.
                    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

A recent story from
                      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

If we are going to do COVID cancellations for this fall, I don't see how anything changes for next spring or even next fall.

1. We won't have any sort of widespread vaccine by spring. Young, athletic folks are going to be at the back of a very long line.
                        2. Even if we did have a vaccine, probably the best we can hope for is 60-70 percent efficacy. That means 30 to 40 percent are still going to catch COVID. Is that acceptable?

Until/unless our attitudes about COVID shift, I think sports, and a lot of other things, are done for good.

Comment

I am hearing the LSC is looking at a 7 game conference only schedule starting mid Sept. and also a 7 game conference only spring schedule

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
                            I am hearing the LSC is looking at a 7 game conference only schedule starting mid Sept. and also a 7 game conference only spring schedule
                            I wonder how the NCAA will handle eligibility if this is what happens.

Comment

I'm hoping they work something out somehow, was really excited about Commerce's possibilities this year

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
                                huh? So 2 seasons in back to back semesters during a pandemic? lol. If they play fall they wont play in spring. If they dont play in fall they *might* play in spring. Certainly they wont play in both.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X