• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not looking good

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...rKBG-kLO3Pal04

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
      NM Highlands (RMAC) has said they have canceled all sports for the fall. Has or will Eastern and Western NM do the same?
      I think they'll all have to cancel. Anyone crossing the state line is required by law to quarantine immediately, which makes playing football extremely difficult outside of Madden.

Comment

I know that we don't have much say in the matter, but what does everyone else hope for the D2 football season? Fall football in general?

I'm in the Bay Area of California -- and we've been under perpetual lockdown (aka "shelter-in-place") since mid-March. Thankfully, I had a nice very short haircut at the time. However, I've already cut my own hair once (with my wife's help). At this point, I'd gladly "risk my own life" for a haircut. I walked down Market Street in the business district and the Embarcadero (along the bay) in San Francisco last month. It was like a ghost town.

Of course, in terms of infection and deaths, our area -- with its vast international community -- hasn't been hit too hard. In our county (Santa Clara County), we have had 184 deaths (out of 8833 total cases from a population of over 2 Million residents). There have been NO deaths under the age of 30. Moreover, at least 82.6% of the total deaths have been comorbidities (where there was at least two or more causes of death). Another 6% is unknown (whether there was a comorbidity). However, most of the remaining 11.4% of deaths were victims over the age of 80.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19...nd-deaths.aspx

The CDC is now recommending that schools be opened in the fall. Our local district (Palo Alto Unified) had decided to open schools for K-5 and limited on-site classes for older kids. However, the teacher's union balked and its members went on a petition drive to stop it (with some even threatening a strike). The school board caved. Now, the district classes will be online-only this fall.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/healt...new/index.html

At this point, I'm not sure what our local schools -- college and high schools -- will be doing for sports. Stanford's non-conference games have been cancelled (including the yearly tradition against Notre Dame). So, in addition to Notre Dame, games against William & Mary and BYU are cancelled. The opening game (now at Arizona) is scheduled for September 12th. Yet, the NCAA might just toss in the towel anyway. I wonder if they are waiting to see what happens with MLB and the NBA.

Personally, I think that our total shutdown response is a bad approach. The people who are most at danger are the elderly and individuals with preexisting conditions. I would have preferred that they were the ones to shelter-in-place while the rest of society moves on. My wife and I have had several friends, coworkers and family members who have contracted COVID-19. Their symptoms differ. Several were completely asymptomatic. Others had the dry cough and fever for a few days. Only two of them felt "labored" breathing -- but not too serious.

Obviously, this is but a personal anecdotal sample. However, I would prefer protecting those in greater danger while not choosing to shut down society. There are things that can be done (e.g., masks, social distancing, limits inside of stores, etc.) to try and safeguard those at greatest risk while also encouraging steps to avoid transmission of COVID-19.

Sports? I know that the world doesn't revolve around sports -- and that human life is much more valuable. However, our state even limits our outdoor exercise. We drove to the beach last month -- desperate to find some place to hike. Every beach was closed off. We drove along Highway 1 from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz county looking for a place to have a picnic or hike -- and even the entire stretch of road had cones prohibiting parking along rural beaches and cliffs.

As someone who enjoys hiking and the outdoors, this has been a disappointing time. People in our area are growing increasingly frustrated by the inability to even visit nature trails. Gyms are shutdown. Parks are closed. Even travel has been restricted in many places. Apparently, the entire state is gaining the "freshman fifteen" (pounds, that is) from the inactivity. I'm thankful that I have gym equipment at home.

My brother-in-law is an architectural engineer (also a Javelina alumnus) based in San Antonio. He flew to the Bay Area for work on Sunday of last week. To get here, he had to show an "essential worker" certificate. We wanted to take him to lunch; however, we couldn't find any place with dedicated outdoor seating. So, my wife and I brought some food and drinks from Chipotle and met him and his coworker at one of the old abandoned military forts in the Marin Headlands (the mountainous area overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge). Thankfully, the area wasn't entirely blocked off.

On March 1st, I applied for the permit lottery to climb Half Dome at Yosemite. I found out by mid-April that I won six permits for September. I specifically selected September dates because I thought that they would be post-pandemic. I gladly paid for my permits. Now, I don't know whether I will be permitted into the park by then.

I'd love to watch football this fall. However, I just don't know if that will happen. Instead, I suppose that we'll just watch coverage of protests against law enforcement on TV.

Comment

I think most of your state agrees, hence the mass exodus to Texas. Very concerned for what this means long term for Texas in terms of them not learning their lessons from the multitude of issues in California.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
            I think most of your state agrees, hence the mass exodus to Texas. Very concerned for what this means long term for Texas in terms of them not learning their lessons from the multitude of issues in California.
            You can just call Texas "Little Cali" now. Little Cali might turn blue in November.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
              Yep. They have a VERY BAD HABIT of forgetting why they left that state in the first place.

Fortunately many of the transplants I've met down here and up in my future home region of the Hill Country are very vocal about not being part of that cabal. Whether it turns out to be a long term, it's TBD. I lean more on the Conservative side (really more Libertarian), but I think a healthy multi party system is a must or at least debate internally within a party and the Texas GOP is about at this point where it might not be a bad thing for them to lose an election. . You don't get that type of dissent or point of view from hardcore almost Marxist like Democrats in California and they've spread this type of thinking to states who used to have a good two party system going like Colorado and Washington among a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Yep. They have a VERY BAD HABIT of forgetting why they left that state in the first place.

Fortunately many of the transplants I've met down here and up in my future home region of the Hill Country are very vocal about not being part of that cabal. Whether it turns out to be a long term, it's TBD. I lean more on the Conservative side (really more Libertarian), but I think a healthy multi party system is a must or at least debate internally within a party and the Texas GOP is about at this point where it might not be a bad thing for them to lose an election. . You don't get that type of dissent or point of view from hardcore almost Marxist like Democrats in California and they've spread this type of thinking to states who used to have a good two party system going like Colorado and Washington among a few others.

Comment

Interesting. I'd like to see that also.

All I know is that it's time to SHAKE things up even bigger in that DC CESSPOOL.

Comment

The Libertarian party needs to focus on building local representation first, quit swinging for the fence, focus on local elections, then state houses, governors, THEN start working on national offices.
                    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

WIth the VA going more 100% telework/remote from home (probably other government organizations as well) there are going to be a flood of hundereds of thousands of people from the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and West coast coming into Texas especially in the Dallas and Houston areas. Reason being is there are no state taxes and government workers get paid 33% on top of base pay to reside in the Houston area and 25% in the Dallas area. I personally moved to the Houston area from Austin because that was a 15% yearly increase so basically this on top of all the retirees moving here I agree with the assessment that Texas is offically purple (Based on the Beto-Cruz senate race) and will probably turn blue in 2024 for sure. Once Texas goes blue its permanent checkmate for the republican party.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

The Libertarian party needs to focus on building local representation first, quit swinging for the fence, focus on local elections, then state houses, governors, THEN start working on national offices.
                          I agree with you 100%. I pretty much identify with the libertarian party as well. What frustrates me is every single election year you dont hear a peep about the Libertarian process or candidate until around June of an election year. In this day and age with social media, youtube, facebook live, etc. you would think someone would start campaigning for themselves a couplle of years before to get their name out there so they are more known to the public. As it stands you only have a few months to hear about Jo Jorgensen and that is only if you actively try to find out information on her. When you need to poll at 15% to reach the debate stage that puts them at a disadvantage every time. If Biden gets elected in 2020 and blows it big time then this could be the opportunity for them to make a realistic push in the 2024 election. As much as I disliked Beto O'Rourkes platform I admired his effort to get on facebook live daily and visit every county in Texas. He almost pulled it off here in Texas and someone will need to have that same dedication in 2024.

Side note I am glad the libertarian party finally woke up and quit nominating that goofball Gary Johnson.
                          Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 07-28-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

DUDE!!!!!! Your reality exists in YOUR own mind.

WTH does your opinionated post have to do with benchwarmers post??

Maybe I am in lala land, but I am not seeing the connetion??????? Maybe it's just me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

WIth the VA going more 100% telework/remote from home (probably other government organizations as well) there are going to be a flood of hundereds of thousands of people from the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and West coast coming into Texas especially in the Dallas and Houston areas. Reason being is there are no state taxes and government workers get paid 33% on top of base pay to reside in the Houston area and 25% in the Dallas area. I personally moved to the Houston area from Austin because that was a 15% yearly increase so basically this on top of all the retirees moving here I agree with the assessment that Texas is offically purple (Based on the Beto-Cruz senate race) and will probably turn blue in 2024 for sure. Once Texas goes blue its permanent checkmate for the republican party.
                              I thiink purple is accurate in 2018. Most likely blue iin 2020. AND no turning back moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

DUDE!!!!!! Your reality exists in YOUR own mind.

WTH does your opinionated post have to do with benchwarmers post??

Maybe I am in lala land, but I am not seeing the connetion??????? Maybe it's just me!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X