Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? So you don't think a city like Dallas can survive without oil revenues? That is such a tiny drop in the bucket here.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

? So you don't think a city like Dallas can survive without oil revenues? That is such a tiny drop in the bucket here.
      I believe Dallas will survive. I just believe there will be limits on what size of population it will be able to support. I believe unemployment will also rise until folks figure out new revenues to replace the oil with. Of course this is probably of couple of decades off and it all hinges on if the old coot actually has the holy grail battery or not. I am not sure what company he has given the task to mass produce. That is all speculation. But I will say this for higher ups at Solvay and Lubrizol who are in contact daily with other oil giants daily to be discussing it tells me its not all smoke and mirrors.

Comment

I think you're drastically overestimating the impact of oil money on large cities. I literally don't know a single person in Dallas employed in any way in the oil industry.

In fact, I'd think if it's going to effect anyone, it's the small towns out in west texas (for example) that thrive on it . The oil industry isn't even a blip on the radar in big cities.

Comment

Gotcha. Wasntvreally in response to what bench was saying.....just made ya think.

sorry, didnt follow....got it now.

Comment

Right???

Comment

I think you're drastically overestimating the impact of oil money on large cities. I literally don't know a single person in Dallas employed in any way in the oil industry.

In fact, I'd think if it's going to effect anyone, it's the small towns out in west texas (for example) that thrive on it . The oil industry isn't even a blip on the radar in big cities.
              LF the biggest company in North Texas, HQ in Irving...Dallas County, is Exxon.

However, a cities main revenue sources are sales tax and property tax.

Comment

Irving is over on that dirty west side, we don't speak of it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

LF the biggest company in North Texas, HQ in Irving...Dallas County, is Exxon.

However, a cities main revenue sources are sales tax and property tax.

Comment

The gov will just track drivers via the computers in the Electric cars and tax on the miles driven to offset tax revenue lost on fossil fuel taxes .

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

The gov will just track drivers via the computers in the Electric cars and tax on the miles driven to offset tax revenue lost on fossil fuel taxes .

Comment

Lol WUT, how did we just jump to flying cars in this conversation? You're on something more than what's legal here.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Lol WUT, how did we just jump to flying cars in this conversation? You're on something more than what's legal here.

Comment

In California, they've effectively destroyed any third party or independent options. In addition to the gerrymandered districts, the state changed the state election laws. Now, only the top two primary vote recipients are eligible to be on the statewide ballot.

While this doesn't remove third party or independent candidates from the presidential part of the ballot in California, it serves to diminish voter turnout. Moreover, there are fewer "protest" votes. If a party has multiple candidates, then they will effectively cancel one another out.

In 2016, there was an election for the open seat for the U.S. Senate. There were actually two Democrats on the ballot -- primarily because the DNC and state party threw their support behind one candidate (Kamala Harris). The dozen or so Republicans canceled one another's votes. This allowed Loretta Sanchez (another Democrat) to get the only other spot on the Senate part of the ballot.

This drove down voter turnout considerably. It was the only state in which the Democratic Party's nominee (Hillary Clinton) received more votes than President Obama did just four years earlier. Democrats pushed a dozen propositions onto the ballot. Republicans didn't have a single statewide initiative or statewide candidate (other than Donald Trump). Consequently, turnout for Republicans and all third party (or no party) candidates was at a historically low rate.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in November 2020. For one, there is no popular Libertarian on the presidential ballot (and former Republican governor turned Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson received more than 4.5 Million votes in 2016). However, I think that voter enthusiasm is much, MUCH lower than it was four years ago.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've only seen one or two Biden yard signs and just one Biden bumper sticker over the last year. I've seen many more stickers for Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and even President Trump. In fact, there were far more Hillary Clinton bumper stickers and signs four years ago. And, of course, the Obama stickers and signs were everywhere in 2012.

As for the differences between California and Texas: The differences aren't just in regard to taxation or social issues. There is a perpetual "agitation" here.

One year, some districts are urged by activists to cancel football for "violence." The next year, they are encouraged to cancel football for "racism" (because some groups think that minorities are "used" for athleticism to the profit of districts and others think that minorities are discriminated against because there aren't enough position slots in that district). Another year, they want to cancel football because or how "racist" sport inclusion is (and how it supposedly discourages academic progress). This year, it is both COVID-19 and "offensive" mascots.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post

In California, they've effectively destroyed any third party or independent options. In addition to the gerrymandered districts, the state changed the state election laws. Now, only the top two primary vote recipients are eligible to be on the statewide ballot.

While this doesn't remove third party or independent candidates from the presidential part of the ballot in California, it serves to diminish voter turnout. Moreover, there are fewer "protest" votes. If a party has multiple candidates, then they will effectively cancel one another out.

In 2016, there was an election for the open seat for the U.S. Senate. There were actually two Democrats on the ballot -- primarily because the DNC and state party threw their support behind one candidate (Kamala Harris). The dozen or so Republicans canceled one another's votes. This allowed Loretta Sanchez (another Democrat) to get the only other spot on the Senate part of the ballot.

This drove down voter turnout considerably. It was the only state in which the Democratic Party's nominee (Hillary Clinton) received more votes than President Obama did just four years earlier. Democrats pushed a dozen propositions onto the ballot. Republicans didn't have a single statewide initiative or statewide candidate (other than Donald Trump). Consequently, turnout for Republicans and all third party (or no party) candidates was at a historically low rate.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in November 2020. For one, there is no popular Libertarian on the presidential ballot (and former Republican governor turned Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson received more than 4.5 Million votes in 2016). However, I think that voter enthusiasm is much, MUCH lower than it was four years ago.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've only seen one or two Biden yard signs and just one Biden bumper sticker over the last year. I've seen many more stickers for Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and even President Trump. In fact, there were far more Hillary Clinton bumper stickers and signs four years ago. And, of course, the Obama stickers and signs were everywhere in 2012.

As for the differences between California and Texas: The differences aren't just in regard to taxation or social issues. There is a perpetual "agitation" here.

One year, some districts are urged by activists to cancel football for "violence." The next year, they are encouraged to cancel football for "racism" (because some groups think that minorities are "used" for athleticism to the profit of districts and others think that minorities are discriminated against because there aren't enough position slots in that district). Another year, they want to cancel football because or how "racist" sport inclusion is (and how it supposedly discourages academic progress). This year, it is both COVID-19 and "offensive" mascots.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X