Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Honest question, not being a smart alec....what would be bigger for recruiting in 2021, winning in that scenario or not playing at all and recruiting all year in a season where freshmen are going to have trouble getting onto crowded rosters at bigger schools?
    Nailed it!!
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      So.....now with WT & TAMUC out for Spring.....which team will emerge as the Conference Champs? This could be HUGE for 2021 recruting!!!

I think Angelo has a great shot at being the 2020 LSC Conference Champions.
      Let's say we do have a vaccine by January, or some other development that makes playing in the spring somehow more feasible than it was in the fall. Are coaches really going to want to risk the injuries, knowing they'll have to suit up again in six months for a real NCAA season? I'm skeptical they will, once we get to that point.

Comment

Honest question, not being a smart alec....what would be bigger for recruiting in 2021, winning in that scenario or not playing at all and recruiting all year in a season where freshmen are going to have trouble getting onto crowded rosters at bigger schools?
        Good question.

Not playing Fall or Spring would be WORSE for recruiting in my honest opinion. You have incoming freshman or transfers who WANT to play football in 2020, right? HS football is playing, or planning on playing a full season. For DII, active recruiting starts either near end of HS regular season and more so in December & January with National Signing Day on Feb 3, 2021. Should the LSC season start December or January, active teams will have the ability to bring players in to watch practices and or games. Especially CC transfers. A team that wins the Conference will have an advantage with Summer CC signings for sure.

Not playing at all may give coaches more time to scout in the fall.....but that goes for teams NOT playing in the fall as well. WT, for example, only has two home games in the Fall....one too early to help with recruiting and the other in the middle of HS district play on Halloween....NOT getting recruits to that game either. However with a 4 game schedule and one scrimmage game, they will have plenty of time to scout when DII's are actively scouting.

There may or may NOT be an advantage for anyone either way.....but if I am a player who WANTS to PLAY football, and I can visit a school and see practice, maybe see a game, and KNOW that school PLAYED while others didn't, AND that team won their Conference (even if a short conference season like 2014), that would definitely be a benefit to me as a player.

NOTE to TROLLS - Please don't nit-pick my statement. The POINT is maybe there is an advantage to playing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

Let's say we do have a vaccine by January, or some other development that makes playing in the spring somehow more feasible than it was in the fall. Are coaches really going to want to risk the injuries, knowing they'll have to suit up again in six months for a real NCAA season? I'm skeptical they will, once we get to that point.
          Good point....however, if I use that theory, should all schools ditch normal Spring Football? Many injuries happen during Spring Football....some season ending. So, I really don't see a big difference....but is there a risk of injury? YES. Is that risk there in off-season? Summer workouts? Fall camp? YES!!!! I have personally witnessed season ending injuries happen in the weight room at all times....even 1st weight-room workout of Summer.

Now, you maybe right. Teams might decide against playing in the Spring. But what an attention grabber that will be if they DO play. All other football will be over and a few P5 seasons will begin.....along with mini-DII seasons. We shall see 4-5 months from now where we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Nailed it!!
            GWB....707070707. He nailed it because WT is not playing in the Spring....if they were, you would be telling him how wrong he was. 7070707. Hey, at least you are consistent....and put a maroon spin on everything.

I ADMIRE your LOVE for your alma-mater and your teams. Good on you!!

Comment

• Here is an interesting article regarding 2020 football season:

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/3...s-postponement

Comment

Good point....however, if I use that theory, should all schools ditch normal Spring Football? Many injuries happen during Spring Football....some season ending. So, I really don't see a big difference....but is there a risk of injury? YES. Is that risk there in off-season? Summer workouts? Fall camp? YES!!!! I have personally witnessed season ending injuries happen in the weight room at all times....even 1st weight-room workout of Summer.

Now, you maybe right. Teams might decide against playing in the Spring. But what an attention grabber that will be if they DO play. All other football will be over and a few P5 seasons will begin.....along with mini-DII seasons. We shall see 4-5 months from now where we are.
                Years back CSU-P had a player suffer a season ending injury while testing the 40, crazy.

I would assume though, shame on me, that the injury rate would be higher in a game situation but that is certainly not something I would state as fact. I think each school needs to look at their program and do what is best, there likely isn't an answer either way as far as what is more beneficial. Does Commerce need to prove they can win a conference championship in a shortened season at this point? Probably not. Would that perhaps help a program like West Texas? Possibly so. It will certainly be interesting to see what is ultimately decided and the future impacts those decisions might have. Selfishly glad I get to just sit back and watch without worry though!

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Years back CSU-P had a player suffer a season ending injury while testing the 40, crazy.

I would assume though, shame on me, that the injury rate would be higher in a game situation but that is certainly not something I would state as fact. I think each school needs to look at their program and do what is best, there likely isn't an answer either way as far as what is more beneficial. Does Commerce need to prove they can win a conference championship in a shortened season at this point? Probably not. Would that perhaps help a program like West Texas? Possibly so. It will certainly be interesting to see what is ultimately decided and the future impacts those decisions might have. Selfishly glad I get to just sit back and watch without worry though!
                  That's where I'm at. Certainly you can control more about spring practice than you can in a game. Teams rarely even have back-to-back full contact practices anymore. And more than just the injury rate, it's the perception the head coach receives if a player's hurt in spring because the coach wants to win meaningless games, versus freak accidents during routine workouts/drills.

Comment

Good question.

Not playing Fall or Spring would be WORSE for recruiting in my honest opinion. You have incoming freshman or transfers who WANT to play football in 2020, right? HS football is playing, or planning on playing a full season. For DII, active recruiting starts either near end of HS regular season and more so in December & January with National Signing Day on Feb 3, 2021. Should the LSC season start December or January, active teams will have the ability to bring players in to watch practices and or games. Especially CC transfers. A team that wins the Conference will have an advantage with Summer CC signings for sure.

Not playing at all may give coaches more time to scout in the fall.....but that goes for teams NOT playing in the fall as well. WT, for example, only has two home games in the Fall....one too early to help with recruiting and the other in the middle of HS district play on Halloween....NOT getting recruits to that game either. However with a 4 game schedule and one scrimmage game, they will have plenty of time to scout when DII's are actively scouting.

There may or may NOT be an advantage for anyone either way.....but if I am a player who WANTS to PLAY football, and I can visit a school and see practice, maybe see a game, and KNOW that school PLAYED while others didn't, AND that team won their Conference (even if a short conference season like 2014), that would definitely be a benefit to me as a player.

NOTE to TROLLS - Please don't nit-pick my statement. The POINT is maybe there is an advantage to playing.
                    You might be right, who knows. I think Commerce is in a unique situation because I don't think they have to prove anything to anyone. Playing during a mini spring season and risking injuries to prove we are the top of the conference/perennial powerhouse right now seems silly to me, but who knows

Now to a team like Angelo who hasn't been able to get over the hump for years and has a chance to "win" the LSC with Tarleton gone and Commerce not playing might mean more to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Good thoughts and good post.

Comment

You might be right, who knows. I think Commerce is in a unique situation because I don't think they have to prove anything to anyone. Playing during a mini spring season and risking injuries to prove we are the top of the conference/perennial powerhouse right now seems silly to me, but who knows

Now to a team like Angelo who hasn't been able to get over the hump for years and has a chance to "win" the LSC with Tarleton gone and Commerce not playing might mean more to them.
                        I guess we will see how things shake out.

Without looking it up, who won the Super Bowl 4 years ago? Who did they play? I know thats an easy question... but what HS recruit is going to know or care if a team won a NC 3 or 4 years ago or won a conferencee championship 2 years ago? I would guess not many.

WE all know who the top programs in DII are, but HS players dont have a clue and dont care!!!! They want to play D1A (FBS) and THE LEAGUE, and know a lot about the top D1A teams & Pros, and little else. So....any edge a DII can have in recruiting is always a plus.

I have NO DOG in the fight. NO ALMA-MATER in this fight.....and my ties to ASU ended when Dr May retired. So, my posts are NOT biased.

Comment

I guess we will see how things shake out.

Without looking it up, who won the Super Bowl 4 years ago? Who did they play? I know thats an easy question... but what HS recruit is going to know or care if a team won a NC 3 or 4 years ago or won a conferencee championship 2 years ago? I would guess not many.

WE all know who the top programs in DII are, but HS players dont have a clue and dont care!!!! They want to play D1A (FBS) and THE LEAGUE, and know a lot about the top D1A teams & Pros, and little else. So....any edge a DII can have in recruiting is always a plus.

I have NO DOG in the fight. NO ALMA-MATER in this fight.....and my ties to ASU ended when Dr May retired. So, my posts are NOT biased.
                          That's why recruiting is so important. A 5 second glance at a stat sheet showing the playoff record for TAMC vs the rest of the LSC playoff record recently is all it takes.

I'd disagree heavily that they don't care if you won a recent national championship, every one of them post it when they announce receiving an offer from us

Comment

GWB....707070707. He nailed it because WT is not playing in the Spring....if they were, you would be telling him how wrong he was. 7070707. Hey, at least you are consistent....and put a maroon spin on everything.

I ADMIRE your LOVE for your alma-mater and your teams. Good on you!!
                            Coach Hughes has said from the beginning that spring ball was a bad idea for several reasons. He knows more about the situation, as an HC, than we do.
                            How dumb would it be for me to disagree with him? For different schools, in a different situation, that might not hold true. IMHO, until the administration and coaches
                            prove they can't make good decisions as boosters we should support them.
                            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• WT didn't win a championship but for several years it was known to QB's and WR's that if you start for WT then you have a decent chance of playing in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                                WT didn't win a championship but for several years it was known to QB's and WR's that if you start for WT then you have a decent chance of playing in the NFL.
                                What WT QBs played in the NFL? I don't recall any D2 QBs making it to play at that level.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X