Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
    WT didn't win a championship but for several years it was known to QB's and WR's that if you start for WT then you have a decent chance of playing in the NFL.
    What percentage of WT WR's & QB's played in the NFL?

Comment

• There was a run for WT....Dustin Vaughn was the #3 QB for the Cowboys for one season. After being cut, he got signed by 3 or 4 other teams, but never made another squad. There was Khiry Robonson RB played 3 years for the Saints. Ethan Westbrook DT played 4 years with the Rams. Actually those few years, WT had 10 players either sign or get invited to camp. Few made teams, but still that's probably the most by a DII team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops

I responded before I saw your post. Exactly. Some fans/alums count getting invited to camp or UFA signing as "playing in the NFL". Unless they make the 53 man roster, they are not NFL players.

Of course DII players have made the NFL. But saying you have a "decent chance" because you played for s certain DII school is funny. There are approx 74,000 NCAA football participants; 16,000 Draft Eligible, 254 get drafted/signed. That's a 1.6% chance of playing in the NFL. That percent is not a DECENT chance ANYWHERE.....unless you call 1.6% a decent chance and that's for ALL NCAA football.

Luis Perez was the only QB I know from all of DII in recent years even signed to the NFL and he was only on the practice squad of the LA Rams signed May 2018 & cut September 2018.
        Keith Null 2005-2008 QB, Dustin Vaughan 2014 QB, Anthony Armstrong mid 2000s WR, Torrance Allen 2014 WR, Khiry RObinson RB 2014, Ethan Westbrooks 2014 DT.

Probably more than I am missing but there were several that went to the NFL from the WT teams of 2012-13.

Comment

Keith Null 2005-2008 QB, Dustin Vaughan 2014 QB, Anthony Armstrong mid 2000s WR, Torrance Allen 2014 WR, Khiry RObinson RB 2014, Ethan Westbrooks 2014 DT.

Probably more than I am missing but there were several that went to the NFL from the WT teams of 2012-13.
          Saying there's a good chance that starting at QB (or WR) for WT, or any D2 program for that matter, means you'll have a decent shot at playing in the NFL seems like QUITE a stretch. My hammy!

Comment

Forgot about the year Null played for the Rams. Yup....Armstrong played Arena first....then got sign by thee Skins I think and made the roster year 2. The others I mentioned. Pretty good in 15 years of a DII.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Saying there's a good chance that starting at QB (or WR) for WT, or any D2 program for that matter, means you'll have a decent shot at playing in the NFL seems like QUITE a stretch. My hammy!
              Saying you have a decent chance of playing NFL coming from any NCAA team is a stretch. 1.6% go to the league. Fewer make a roster.

Comment

• I've heard some rumblings the NCAA may expand upon the 5 game limit and not lose eligibility. WT may be having an announcement with more games soon

Comment

Key word being decent. It was a true statement back then when WT ran the run and shoot offense with D1 type caliber players putting up great numbers.

Comment

Key word being decent. It was a true statement back then when WT ran the run and shoot offense with D1 type caliber players putting up great numbers.
                    I suppose decent is relative then. D2 QBs simply don't become NFL QBs, meaning making a 53 man roster. Getting a camp invite is fantastic, but if you don't make a roster you're not an NFL QB in my opinion. Taking nothing away from the great talent WT has had, don't get me wrong.

Comment

I suppose decent is relative then. D2 QBs simply don't become NFL QBs, meaning making a 53 man roster. Getting a camp invite is fantastic, but if you don't make a roster you're not an NFL QB in my opinion. Taking nothing away from the great talent WT has had, don't get me wrong.
                      As GWB says...."NAILED IT"

Comment

• The fact of the matter.....IF you want to have a "decent" chance at PLAYING in the NFL, you better land a great D1 scholly.....do EVERYTHING in your power to be the BEST.....proper diet, great work ethics, work HARD at everything, top academics, be a student of the game, great community involvement, be a STRONG leader, and stay AWAY from the evils, etc.

Then, maybe, you are the 1.6% and get a shot.

Comment

• If Luis Perez can't do it, good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                            If Luis Perez can't do it, good luck.
                            WT Dustin Vaughan made the Cowboys final 53 as #3 QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I realize that. I was speaking to the difficulty of it happening

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Keith Null made the Rams and started 4 games for the worst team in football his rookie year. The following year the teams OC said Keith was doing better than rookie Sam Bradford in training camp, so they cut Keith, who signed with a couple of teams afterward. Don't look for Steve Spagnola to ever be a head coach again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X