Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming Freshman

Of your school's incoming Freshman class, how many will redshirt??

Re: Incoming Freshman

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Of your school's incoming Freshman class, how many will redshirt??
    At WT, Coach Hughes said he thought 6 or 7 true freshmen had a chance to contribute this year. That's down from 14 or 15 last year. If that's the case, WT could RS about 50 kids in 2019. That's a great way to build the program. If they can retain 30 or so of those kids (each year) the pipeline is full of kids conditioned to the goals of the program. The only transfers you go after are for specific needs.

Comment

Preface .. I am brand spanking new to D2 Football. Son just signed with Colorado School of Mines last week so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible. I am stunned at the number of kids signed by WTAMU. Almost 60 by my count. Mines signed 32 and I thought that was a high number. Mines retained all 27 of this past years Freshman class (came back for Spring semester) and also try to redshirt the entire freshman class each year. Is there a 'retention' problem there? Can they really keep that many true freshman on the roster/campus? How many scholarships does WTAMU have to spread out amongst all the young men on the roster (I would assume it is the same as Mines)? I hope none of these questions come across negatively - I have nothing against WTAMU or any other D2 school for that matter. I am truly trying to learn the D2 Landscape. Mines has 36 Scholarships that they divy up amongst the players with older top performing players getting more than younger unproven players (in general - or that is what we have been told to date). Thanks for reading.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDigger View Post
        Preface .. I am brand spanking new to D2 Football. Son just signed with Colorado School of Mines last week so I'm trying to educate myself as much as
        possible. I am stunned at the number of kids signed by WTAMU. Almost 60 by my count. Mines signed 32 and I thought that was a high number. Mines retained all 27 of this past years Freshman class (came back for Spring semester) and also try to redshirt the entire freshman class each year. Is there a 'retention' problem there? Can they really keep that many true freshman on the roster/campus? How many scholarships does WTAMU have to spread out amongst all the young men on the roster (I would assume it is the same as Mines)? I hope none of these questions come across negatively - I have nothing against WTAMU or any other D2
        school for that matter. I am truly trying to learn the D2 Landscape. Mines has 36 Scholarships that they divy up amongst the players with older top performing players getting more than younger unproven players (in general - or that is what we have been told to date). Thanks for reading.
        WT sort of crashed & burned a few years ago. They are now in yr 2 of a complete rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
          WT sort of crashed & burned a few years ago. They are now in yr 2 of a complete rebuild.
          Ahhh .. OK, then it makes sense if they are in a huge rebuild mode. Thanks!

Comment

Ahhh .. OK, then it makes sense if they are in a huge rebuild mode. Thanks!
            But that was par for the course for them for years and years under the Carthel administration. TAMUC then took that approach as well.
            I have questions about that style of recruiting, not saying its right or wrong, but when you are signing that many people, how do you divy up the scholarships? Do 80% of them get a $500 scholarship and then rest "walk on" or are other academic environments subsidizing the scholarships?
            I just don't know how to make the numbers work, but I haven't dug into it very deep either.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
              But that was par for the course for them for years and years under the Carthel administration. TAMUC then took that approach as well.
              I have questions about that style of recruiting, not saying its right or wrong, but when you are signing that many people, how do you divy up the scholarships? Do 80% of them get a $500 scholarship and then rest "walk on" or are other academic environments subsidizing the scholarships?
              I just don't know how to make the numbers work, but I haven't dug into it very deep either.
              For eastern thats why its good to get in state kids, they qualify for lottery schollies after the first semester. Also Eastern and other NM universities have/had a 1 semester starter grant that covers tuition the first semester. ENMU signed 15 NM kids oit of a class of 55, and only have to divy up what schollership monies they have to out of staters.
              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

My guess is that you have more than 2 kids on full rides. Also, I wonder how many football players are receiving no athletic scholarships but are having their tuition paid for by some other area.

I guess my real question is what kind of pitch are you telling kids about in regards to the type of aid they are going to be receiving? My BIL when he was being recruited was literally offered a $500 bookstore credit, obviously he went else where and was on full scholarship from his 2nd year on.

I guess its just a preference thing, no right or wrong way to do it. Just curious

Comment

My guess is that you have more than 2 kids on full rides. Also, I wonder how many football players are receiving no athletic scholarships but are having their tuition paid for by some other area.

I guess my real question is what kind of pitch are you telling kids about in regards to the type of aid they are going to be receiving? My BIL when he was being recruited was literally offered a $500 bookstore credit, obviously he went else where and was on full scholarship from his 2nd year on.

I guess its just a preference thing, no right or wrong way to do it. Just curious
                    It really is a preference thing. Some want to announce they went to school on an athletic scholarship, but to be honest with you, that is not always the best path.

For example, my son was a swimmer in college at a D2 school in Arkansas. While he could have taken an athletic scholarship, he also qualified, based on grades and his ACT score for a $3,500 academic scholarship.

So, let's assume that he could have gotten an athletic scholarship of $3,500 instead of the academic one. If he took the athletic scholarship he would have to stay on the team and basically "reapply" each year. If the coach has better prospects next year he could reduce that scholarship or cut it altogether. However, if he takes the academic money, as long as he stays in school and gets the grades, he keeps that no matter what the coaches decides, or even if he decides to quit swimming. The only way he could lose that academic is to not make his grades, and if he didn't do that, there's a good chance he would be out of school anyway so the athletic scholarship would be a moot point anyway.

Comment

Incoming Freshman

Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-11-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=BuffaloChip;2351534]

NM. Duplicate post.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Preface .. I am brand spanking new to D2 Football. Son just signed with Colorado School of Mines last week so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible. I am stunned at the number of kids signed by WTAMU. Almost 60 by my count. Mines signed 32 and I thought that was a high number. Mines retained all 27 of this past years Freshman class (came back for Spring semester) and also try to redshirt the entire freshman class each year. Is there a 'retention' problem there? Can they really keep that many true freshman on the roster/campus? How many scholarships does WTAMU have to spread out amongst all the young men on the roster (I would assume it is the same as Mines)? I hope none of these questions come across negatively - I have nothing against WTAMU or any other D2 school for that matter. I am truly trying to learn the D2 Landscape. Mines has 36 Scholarships that they divy up amongst the players with older top performing players getting more than younger unproven players (in general - or that is what we have been told to date). Thanks for reading.
                          Mines doesn't yet have 36 scholarships. The RMAC might be at 32 or 34 now as they slowly increase towards the D2 limit of 36

Comment

Last edited by Techster88; 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Sure. Probably half will wash out by the fall of 2020. Some will decide that they just want to be a college student. Some will decide the time and effort necessary to succeed in college football is too high. College FB is like going to school and having a full-time job, 6:30 am weight room takes commitment. Some will recognize that they may not have the ability to earn PT anytime soon. Some will not succeed academically. All kinds of things can happen to cause a player to drop football.

I just checked the 2018 WT roster. 51 freshmen are listed. How many will be on the roster in the fall of 2019? I recently asked coaches if they had lost many of those freshmen. I was told a solid core of those kids are still on the team. If 35 or so of those 51 return in the fall, that would be really good numbers, about 2/3. We won't know till the final fall roster is published. Spring ball will give us an indication. If you look at the 2018 season, at times WT had 12-13-14 freshmen on the 2 deep chart. I imagine those kids are going to be pumped to return.
                              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X