Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incoming Freshman

So, TAMUC signed 52 kids last season...of those 52, they red-shirted 48 of them...and they carried 51 on the roster last season, meaning between signing day and the start of the season one disappeared somewhere....of the 52, there are 44 currently on the roster...some I know transferred after Carthel left...some were planning on transferring even before they found out he was leaving...how many will remain after the spring semester? I dunno, but I would guess that there will be some loses to academic eligibility...and a few more transfers...

My son was offered more money to go to a GAC school...essentially, he was offered half tuition...to a school in OK...but he really wanted to play for Carthel and his staff...so he took a lot less money to go to TAMUC, but he was told that as long as he stayed with the team and did what he was supposed to do, as players from his signing class fell off, his scholarship would go up in value...new staff, so I guess we will wait and see...how many remain after the semester and what they offer him for his R-Fr season.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
      So, TAMUC signed 52 kids last season...of those 52, they red-shirted 48 of them...and they carried 51 on the roster last season, meaning between signing day and the start of the season one disappeared somewhere....of the 52, there are 44 currently on the roster...some I know transferred after Carthel left...some were planning on transferring even before they found out he was leaving...how many will remain after the spring semester? I dunno, but I would guess that there will be some loses to academic eligibility...and a few more transfers...

My son was offered more money to go to a GAC school...essentially, he was offered half tuition...to a school in OK...but he really wanted to play for Carthel and his staff...so he took a lot less money to go to TAMUC, but he was told that as long as he stayed with the team and did what he was supposed to do, as players from his signing class fell off, his scholarship would go up in value...new staff, so I guess we will wait and see...how many remain after the semester and what they offer him for his R-Fr season.
      That's exactly what Hughes and staff are doing at WT, following the Carthel model.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        That's exactly what Hughes and staff are doing at WT, following the Carthel model.
        Carthel is SMART. First & foremost he is building HIS career and taking care of his family. His model is GREAT for that. God bless. Smart guy.

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Get your education paid for, as much as you can.

If you have good enough grades use those and play where you want. If not go where your worth the most.
          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Since Carthel has been brought up - he signed 36 at SFA? Are you kidding me? He signed a kid from Frisco (QB) who had 1 offer from Hendrix (D3) that I knew of (good player though). What do you think he got? $500 a semester? He is going to lose a lot of kids - it's D1, they expect full rides at 1AA. Can't wait to see it play out. Kids have been getting FAFSA's and making money - now that will actually be applied to their schooling. Most 1AA's offer only full rides (63 of them) and fill in with walk ons. Can't believe the AD or school President is going to let that go on long term.

Comment

Originally posted by cchrstnsn View Post
              Since Carthel has been brought up - he signed 36 at SFA? Are you kidding me? He signed a kid from Frisco (QB) who had 1 offer from Hendrix (D3) that I knew of (good player though). What do you think he got? $500 a semester? He is going to lose a lot of kids - it's D1, they expect full rides at 1AA. Can't wait to see it play out. Kids have been getting FAFSA's and making money - now that will actually be applied to their schooling. Most 1AA's offer only full rides (63 of them) and fill in with walk ons. Can't believe the AD or school President is going to let that go on long term.
              How bout let's see how it plays out before knocking it. Maybe it will be a joke; maybe it will be genius. We shall see.

Comment

Comment

I'm alarmed. I picture Colby putting a gun to the head of a recruit being offered less than a full ride and telling the kid "I assure you one of two things is going to happen, either your signature will be on this NLI or your brains." It's shocking to imagine these kind of tactics being used to force players to unwillingly sign for less than a full ride. That's the only reason a kid would take less than a full ride. Right? Extreme for sure. Almost mafia-like. Don Colbyone.
                  Last edited by BuffaloChip; 02-17-2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I'm alarmed. I picture Colby putting a gun to the head of a recruit being offered less than a full ride and telling the kid "I assure you one of two things is going to happen, either your signature will be on this NLI or your brains." It's shocking to imagine these kind of tactics being used to force players to unwillingly sign for less than a full ride. That's the only reason a kid would take less than a full ride. Right? Extreme for sure. Almost mafia-like. Don Colbyone.

Comment

I'm sure he anticipates flipping the roster considerably before next year and has that factored in. Don did it at WT in year 1 and it seems Colby did pretty much the same year 1 at Commerce. I can remember hearing a few rumblings when Don took over about players not being offered anymore or cut. Makes sense to me when you are taking over a losing program. I understand there are more limitations at the D1 level but I doubt he is shooting blindly

Comment

Last edited by catatonic; 02-18-2019, 04:09 AM.

Comment

So what Chip says is EXACTLY right.

Cartel is rebuilding from the foundation up. Players are leaving....on their own or other wise.

Time will tell just how good Carthel is.

Comment

The Reedy QB can play, at least at the 5A high school level. No idea what any of the kids were offered though...

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                              So what Chip says is EXACTLY right.

Cartel is rebuilding from the foundation up. Players are leaving....on their own or other wise.

Time will tell just how good Carthel is.
                              Yes, time will tell. This 85 player restriction for Carthel is going to severely hamper his ability to bring in the masses. I, for one, think he will adapt and succeed. There is a lot of pressure coming into this situation to perform and FCS is a different animal than D2. Just hoping he don't compromise the rules to achieve his objective.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                                Yes, time will tell. This 85 player restriction for Carthel is going to severely hamper his ability to bring in the masses. I, for one, think he will adapt and succeed. There is a lot of pressure coming into this situation to perform and FCS is a different animal than D2. Just hoping he don't compromise the rules to achieve his objective.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X