Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

What makes WT a self proclaimed "Big Fish"? Endowment? $72M is 2.34 times SMALLER than Angelo States. Based on published numbers they had revenues of $188M & costs of $190M. ?? As far as student enrollment...Angelo, TAMUC, etc. have equal or greater enrollment. Now, whereas, many Texas DII institutions have near enrollment with SFA, they are much smaller than a SHSU.

WT has not dominated DII in sports, especially (and most importantly FOOTBALL).

So, what EXACTLY makes them the "Big Fish". I am VERY curious to see the evidence that supports that claim.
    A school's academic endowment level and its athletic success/failure in a particular division has no intrinsic relationship with what division it chooses to participate in going forward. If it did, Trinity would be in the Big 12.

Comment

I think McBroom is showing some frustration with the current situation in fall sports. Don't think it's a serious consideration to move.
      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

As a 78 Grad enjoyed the d1 days or 60s and 70s , yes WT was not a powerhouse but many fine teams esp under Kerbel , big boys were afraid to play Kerbel , WT fielded some very good teams sent many to NFL. If WAC adds football could be a lot of fun , to see WT playing d1 again , youve got Northern AZ would prob move to wac fits them better and 8 hr drive down I 40 from Amarillo, Grand Canyon U was talking about adding football one day, BB has done well since moving up etc. Im for moving up, I thing business support would be greater as well and we have the facilities .

Comment

Wt to fcs is feasible. They have size of students, alum support, a decent sized urban areas to support it. And now a potential home WAC with natural rivals to play that wull draw to thier good stadium. Negatives. Close to TTech student body size on low end of support , and questionable economy for all ofhigher ed.

In reality it's about perception and wtamu has always had a vision of themselves as a bigger fish the lsc isn't filled with thier peers anymore . They are the last of big fish and do have to ask if they belong somewhere else even if the economic numbers are 50/50

If tamuc even considers a move they will be out the door. The WAC will still be there if you want to go so Take your time four right . Nobody wants to go up and not make it and have to come back down to d2.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
            IMHO, WT needs to move to the FCS. Only makes sense. I don't believe that they will be very competitive like they are in D2, but maybe being the "big fish" as many of their alum see them as has run it's course. Time to jump to a bigger POND (FCS) and be a smaller fish. Maybe one day they can grow enough to be a small fish in the OCEAN (FBS).

Best of luck.
            Personally, I love having multiple teams always in the hunt more years than not. I can't tell you how many D1 women's BB games where there aren't 500 people. Then go to a WT game with triple that.

Going to D1 FCS would mean doubling our budget to $22M-23M. I'd say any real talk of D1/FCS is at least 5 years away, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Personally, I love having multiple teams always in the hunt more years than not. I can't tell you how many D1 women's BB games where there aren't 500 people. Then go to a WT game with triple that.

Going to D1 FCS would mean doubling our budget to $22M-23M. I'd say any real talk of D1/FCS is at least 5 years away, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                Wt to fcs is feasible. They have size of students, alum support, a decent sized urban areas to support it. And now a potential home WAC with natural rivals to play that wull draw to thier good stadium. Negatives. Close to TTech student body size on low end of support , and questionable economy for all ofhigher ed.

In reality it's about perception and wtamu has always had a vision of themselves as a bigger fish the lsc isn't filled with thier peers anymore . They are the last of big fish and do have to ask if they belong somewhere else even if the economic numbers are 50/50

If tamuc even considers a move they will be out the door. The WAC will still be there if you want to go so Take your time four right . Nobody wants to go up and not make it and have to come back down to d2.
                Is it? What is their current athletic budget?

Comment

And how long before Power 5 schools agree to NOT play non-Power 5 schools? It's already being discussed (re future tv contracts and their influence). Take the beat-down handouts off the table and.........?

Comment

And how long before Power 5 schools agree to NOT play non-Power 5 schools? It's already being discussed (re future tv contracts and their influence). Take the beat-down handouts off the table and.........?

Comment

Exactly what I've been wondering too, that cash cow is disappearing

Comment

Generally speaking, P5 schools aren't playing FCS schools unless there is a scheduling issue and they have no other choice. Not saying it never happens because it certainly does, but FCS programs are not being subsidized by playing against P5 programs by any stretch. I believe there were only 40 FCS versus P5 matchups last year. Sounds like a lot, but when you consider there are 127 FCS programs, less than one third had any sort of "money" game.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                          Exactly what I've been wondering too, that cash cow is disappearing

Comment

Because every conference out there is discussing not playing these games anymore, and this was BEFORE covid.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Because every conference out there is discussing not playing these games anymore, and this was BEFORE covid.
                              Maybe I just missed reports of those discussions. Maybe you could tell me where I might find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Generally speaking, P5 schools aren't playing FCS schools unless there is a scheduling issue and they have no other choice. Not saying it never happens because it certainly does, but FCS programs are not being subsidized by playing against P5 programs by any stretch. I believe there were only 40 FCS versus P5 matchups last year. Sounds like a lot, but when you consider there are 127 FCS programs, less than one third had any sort of "money" game.
                                I'm not referring to this season or next, but 3-4 years down the road.

Eliminating those FCS games will be on the table when new TV contracts are negotiated. Big bucks require big audiences. No offense meant, a meaningless game between Texas A&M and ACU (or TAMC or an FCS WT) just won't cut the mustard when trying to capture and retain Big Bucks Paid For eyes-on-the-screen. That game brings little to the screen provider and the advertising buyer.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X