Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTAMU to play ACU & SFA this fall

Good Lord will in and the COVID permits.

A lot more at work here than playing a couple of SLC teams I suspect...
    Last edited by Herb Street; 08-22-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      A lot more at work here than playing a couple of SFA teams I suspect...
      Testing the waters for a possible move to D1?

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        A lot more at work here than playing a couple of SFA teams I suspect...
        I agree 100%. Just listened to McBrooms interview on the Press Pass and there are definitely some things that are changing.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post

I agree 100%. Just listened to McBrooms interview on the Press Pass and there are definitely some things that are changing.
          ??

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

Testing the waters for a possible move to D1?
            Listen to his interview on the presspass sports podcast. Jump to the 31 minute mark.

Comment

McBroom has supported WT being D2 for so long that to hear him even bring up the possibility of moving to D1 makes me think that there is definitely some discussions going on. Based on his interview it sounded like he doesn't believe NCAA and D2 leadership really has a school the size of WT in their best interest's and that perhaps it's time to move up to D1. He has always stated that it's better to be the big fish.....but based of his interview he feels D2 leadership is overlooking the "Big Fish" in our division. Not just talking WT but he mentions Commerce, GVSU, Pitt State and NWMSU.

McBroom would not move up irresponsibly. He must think we have the financial stability as well as the facilities to make that move a possibility.

Comment

McBroom has supported WT being D2 for so long that to hear him even bring up the possibility of moving to D1 makes me think that there is definitely some discussions going on. Based on his interview it sounded like he doesn't believe NCAA and D2 leadership really has a school the size of WT in their best interest's and that perhaps it's time to move up to D1. He has always stated that it's better to be the big fish.....but based of his interview he feels D2 leadership is overlooking the "Big Fish" in our division. Not just talking WT but he mentions Commerce, GVSU, Pitt State and NWMSU.

McBroom would not move up irresponsibly. He must think we have the financial stability as well as the facilities to make that move a possibility.
                Last edited by catatonic; 08-22-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Times change. Circumstances change.

Comment

I suspect there may be a few FBS teams move down to FCS after the financial disaster that Covid has caused.

Comment

I think WT is looking to see if there are some FCS teams who will have to move. Maybe a few Louisiana schools?

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post

I suspect there may be a few FBS teams move down to FCS after the financial disaster that Covid has caused.

Comment

Illuminating interview with Hughes and McBroom. Sounds like WT athletes will be safer under the daily guidance of coaches and administrators than with their families and friends back home. Multiple daily symptom checks. Over 800 tests to athletes already administered. Masks on everyone everywhere. Social distancing everywhere possible. It was made very apparent WT is doing (with less resources) what any D1 program does to address covid.

McBroom seemed to indicate that D2 has been and is, going forward, the best fit for WT. He is concerned with the NCAA's diminished vision for D2 and D3. Instead of being an "association" of similarly minded institutions with a preponderance of control over their own destiny, D2's importance to the NCAA is under a leadership that slights D2 and the cares of the athlete.

Where before, the chasm between the needs of the "bigger" D2 programs (ie GV, NWM, Pitt, CWU, CSuP, UMD, TAMC, WT, etc etc) and the NCAA's general treatment of D2 were minor and/or discrete, those gaps are growing. The moat is shallower and widening. The future may be an uneasy one for the "big" D2 players. ACU and Tarleton may have been right.

If you listen to the entire interview, you will realize, that whatever path WT takes, our President and AD are thoughtful, professional, and forward-looking. I

I encourage you to listen to the interview.
                          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-22-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

IMHO, WT needs to move to the FCS. Only makes sense. I don't believe that they will be very competitive like they are in D2, but maybe being the "big fish" as many of their alum see them as has run it's course. Time to jump to a bigger POND (FCS) and be a smaller fish. Maybe one day they can grow enough to be a small fish in the OCEAN (FBS).

Best of luck.

Comment

What makes WT a self proclaimed "Big Fish"? Endowment? $72M is 2.34 times SMALLER than Angelo States. Based on published numbers they had revenues of $188M & costs of $190M. ?? As far as student enrollment...Angelo, TAMUC, etc. have equal or greater enrollment. Now, whereas, many Texas DII institutions have near enrollment with SFA, they are much smaller than a SHSU.

WT has not dominated DII in sports, especially (and most importantly FOOTBALL).

So, what EXACTLY makes them the "Big Fish". I am VERY curious to see the evidence that supports that claim.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X