Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic: Hurricane Laura impacts on Southland Louisiana schools

Looking at some of the news reports it looks like McNeese State in Lake Charles sustained a lot of damaged last night. I am sure other schools have damage as well. With financial troubles the Louisiana schools were having even before COVID and the hurricane, do these two events have them looking more at dropping down to D2?

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
    Looking at some of the news reports it looks like McNeese State in Lake Charles sustained a lot of damaged last night. I am sure other schools have damage as well. With financial troubles the Louisiana schools were having even before COVID and the hurricane, do these two events have them looking more at dropping down to D2?
    HOGVVR texted me and said he was 100 miles west of Houston and all was good. A friend in Nacogdoches said they got some rain and moderate winds.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

HOGVVR texted me and said he was 100 miles west of Houston and all was good. A friend in Nacogdoches said they got some rain and moderate winds.
      Tell him hi for me. I live 50 miles northwest of Houston now in Montgomery off Lake Conroe. We got one little thunderstorm and that was it.

Comment

Tell him hi for me. I live 50 miles northwest of Houston now in Montgomery off Lake Conroe. We got one little thunderstorm and that was it.
        Yeah, Houston was spared.

We have family in Lake Charles and Kinder....they got BLASTED.

Comment

Yeah I manage a team in Houston and none of them even got rain lol

Comment

I saw some pics of Cowboy Stadium on the campus of McNeese State. It's a good bet in a normal season , they'd be road warriors for most if not all of the season based on the damage it received. The turf had standing water on it which means the drainage system failed which in turn probably damaged the sub surface base. This on top of some light towers being blown down, scoreboard pretty much gone, press box missing glass.

Recovering from a Hurricane is not fun at all. The post storm environment is humid as heck, the insects are horrible and the mosquitoes laugh at whatever Deet mixture you use. It can take a very long time to get the electric grid back up because the debris have to be removed first which means you can go weeks with out fresh water also coming out of your tap.

This is one reason I can't wait to move up to the Hill Country in a few years. Not to forget property insurance is out of this world high on the coast and anytime a storm hits, the rates go up eventually. The only thing that kept the rates from Harvey for going bonkers was the fact most of the wind damage was done north of a major metro area (Corpus) and the flood claims were the largest part of the payouts. But if you get a Cat 3 to 5 direct hit in the RGV, Corpus, or Houston and oh boy.... Especially Corpus and the Houston area with all the energy infrastructure. Port Arthur and Beaumont is the home a significant chunk of the state (and national) energy infrastructure too and a shift of 25 to 50 miles to the west would have put of world of hurt on that area. Much like a shift of Harvey of just 20 miles south would have done the same to the energy assets in Corpus. A simple shutdown down here during Harvey put production behind a couple of weeks which led to shortages at the pump.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think the season is over for the Texas coast just yet.
            Last edited by LSC Fan; 08-28-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
              I saw some pics of Cowboy Stadium on the campus of McNeese State. It's a good bet in a normal season , they'd be road warriors for most if not all of the season based on the damage it received. The turf had standing water on it which means the drainage system failed which in turn probably damaged the sub surface base. This on top of some light towers being blown down, scoreboard pretty much gone, press box missing glass.

Recovering from a Hurricane is not fun at all. The post storm environment is humid as heck, the insects are horrible and the mosquitoes laugh at whatever Deet mixture you use. It can take a very long time to get the electric grid back up because the debris have to be removed first which means you can go weeks with out fresh water also coming out of your tap.

This is one reason I can't wait to move up to the Hill Country in a few years. Not to forget property insurance is out of this world high on the coast and anytime a storm hits, the rates go up eventually. The only thing that kept the rates from Harvey for going bonkers was the fact most of the wind damage was done north of a major metro area (Corpus) and the flood claims were the largest part of the payouts. But if you get a Cat 3 to 5 direct hit in the RGV, Corpus, or Houston and oh boy.... Especially Corpus and the Houston area with all the energy infrastructure. Port Arthur and Beaumont is the home a significant chunk of the state (and national) energy infrastructure too and a shift of 25 to 50 miles to the west would have put of world of hurt on that area. Much like a shift of Harvey of just 20 miles south would have done the same to the energy assets in Corpus. A simple shutdown down here during Harvey put production behind a couple of weeks which led to shortages at the pump.

As much as I hate to say it, I don't think the season is over for the Texas coast just yet.
              Yeah we are on Entergy up here. They supply energy to east Texas. We barely got rain from this system but they put us under rolling brownouts Thursday for 6 hours because they were doing repairs in Louisiana. Looks like our next purchase will be a gas generator.

Comment

Yeah we are on Entergy up here. They supply energy to east Texas. We barely got rain from this system but they put us under rolling brownouts Thursday for 6 hours because they were doing repairs in Louisiana. Looks like our next purchase will be a gas generator.
                If you have access to natural gas that is the cheapest route to run a generator. Propane, Diesel and gas are way too costly for around the clock power.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

If you have access to natural gas that is the cheapest route to run a generator. Propane, Diesel and gas are way too costly for around the clock power.
                  Really it's the only way to go for residential unless you are rural and can't tap into a NG line. The upside, generators are getting less expensive and new home builders are incorporating them in their energy packages as part of the "Smart Home" trend. It's something I'll look at when we build in a few years even tough we will be out of the coastal areas.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Really it's the only way to go for residential unless you are rural and can't tap into a NG line. The upside, generators are getting less expensive and new home builders are incorporating them in their energy packages as part of the "Smart Home" trend. It's something I'll look at when we build in a few years even tough we will be out of the coastal areas.
                    If you are building a house on acreage get ready for a fun miserable ride. I won't attempt that again as contractors find all sorts of things to upcharge you for and rarely get the work finished in a timely manner. But, I do enjoy not having neighbors right on top of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

If you are building a house on acreage get ready for a fun miserable ride. I won't attempt that again as contractors find all sorts of things to upcharge you for and rarely get the work finished in a timely manner. But, I do enjoy not having neighbors right on top of me.

Comment

Just be aware of things up there when it comes to oil companies and pipelines. Kinder Morgan in the last few years has seized land in that area from Blanco through Kyle and Lockhart.

Property Taxes are already skyrocketing over there and will continue to rise with all the transplants from other states.

Comment

Just be aware of things up there when it comes to oil companies and pipelines. Kinder Morgan in the last few years has seized land in that area from Blanco through Kyle and Lockhart.

Property Taxes are already skyrocketing over there and will continue to rise with all the transplants from other states.
                          Property Taxes are actually lower than what I pay down here because most of the subdivisions we are looking at are not in the city limits of the near by jurisdictions or even in the ETJ's.

I will save on my insurance costs for sure. Coastal exposure doubles or triples the premium vs what is paid in that part of the state since other than flash floods, they are not severe weather prone as much as DFW area where their costs are high too. Ditto for auto because they don't have the volume of idiot or unlicensed drivers like the major metro areas and most of South Texas.
                          Last edited by LSC Fan; 09-03-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

When I taught at Texas State we lived in Riverchase. It is a very large subdivision of 1+ acre lots about half way (6 miles from both) New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. It was a great place to live and pretty quiet as well but convenient to New Braunfels, Austin and San Antonio. My wife loved the fact that they was just two traffic lights (on the I-35 service roads) between her and the outlet malls in San Marcos. If I had it to do over I would probably get a place in Havenwood. It's closer to New Braunfels and I-35.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post

When I taught at Texas State we lived in Riverchase. It is a very large subdivision of 1+ acre lots about half way (6 miles from both) New Braunfels and Canyon Lake. It was a great place to live and pretty quiet as well but convenient to New Braunfels, Austin and San Antonio. My wife loved the fact that they was just two traffic lights (on the I-35 service roads) between her and the outlet malls in San Marcos. If I had it to do over I would probably get a place in Havenwood. It's closer to New Braunfels and I-35.
                              Give it 20 years and that I-35 Corridor wil be just like the metroplex. There is already no space between Austin/Buda/Kyle.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X