Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Miss you guys. Hope all is well. NMSU fans in the other board are more annoying than any ACU poster that use to frequent this board. Even worse than the A&M Commerce fan on the Facebook Texas football history group.

any who... hope all is well.

Rat

Hey Rat........the LSC is not as much fun without you guys. Especially in men's BB. That's for sure. We had some great battles through the years. Lon held the upper hand for much of the last two decades. The tide has turned to WT's shore since Tom Brown's arrival at the Buff helm.

What are your thoughts for WT, TAMC, and ASU's future vis a vis the D2 vs D1 FCS debate? Each and collectively?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
      Hey Rat........the LSC is not as much fun without you guys. Especially in men's BB. That's for sure. We had some great battles through the years. Lon held the upper hand for much of the last two decades. The tide has turned to WT's shore since Tom Brown's arrival at the Buff helm.

What are your thoughts for WT, TAMC, and ASU's future vis a vis the D2 vs D1 FCS debate? Each and collectively?
      Hey Chip. I knew you were asking Rat but I think WT would be competitive right away in every sport but football. Most sports in the southland sans football would definitely be top 3-5. I would suspect WAC might be the same but not near the knowledge of their sports outside of the few teams that play football and basketball.

Comment

Big rumors that WT is on the move to join Tarleton in the WAC. JUST RUMORS,. WAC is announcing a new member within a few weeks.

Tarleton already has a plan and approval for $72 million multi-purpose event/convocation/arena. Also building a new state of the art Rodeo arena to be "the best program in the country." A&M system is projecting 25,000 students by 2030.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post

Big rumors that WT is on the move to join Tarleton in the WAC. JUST RUMORS,. WAC is announcing a new member within a few weeks.

Tarleton already has a plan and approval for $72 million multi-purpose event/convocation/arena. Also building a new state of the art Rodeo arena to be "the best program in the country." A&M system is projecting 25,000 students by 2030.
          My wife's first cousin, Levi Garcia from Roy, New Mexico, graduated from Tarleton on a full ride rodeo scholarship. He spent about 10 years on the PBR bull-riding circuit.

Comment

My wife's first cousin, Levi Garcia from Roy, New Mexico, graduated from Tarleton on a full ride rodeo scholarship. He spent about 10 years on the PBR bull-riding circuit.
            Buffalo Chip, what's your opinion on the WT D1 rumors?

Comment

Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

Buffalo Chip, what's your opinion on the WT D1 rumors?
              I have no idea what is happening behind closed doors. Any opinion I have is purely speculative and hypothetical. With that out of the way, I can either give you some stock market tips or my WT D1 opinion. My WT D1 opinion would surely outstrip any stock tips I could pass on. Which tells you it's not worth much. So, here goes.

When I look at the D1 potential for WT (and when I say WT it is concurrent opinion included for TAMC and ASU), I have actually began to warm up to the idea. I fear that the "old" LSC has been co-opted by "new" LSC non-FB schools. Looking 5-10-20 years down the road, D1 / FCS must be in WT's sports future. The defection of Tarleton set the wheels in motion. It deepened intensity for it's sister LSC regional schools to look beyond the horizon and imagine new possibilities.

When you look at the D1 / FCS beds, it boils down to the Southland and the WAC. I just don't see the Southland as welcoming or as aspirational for WT as the WAC. I believe Tarleton knew something. Today's WAC has 9 schools with NM State and Tarleton being the only FB players. The WAC seems to have committed to adding football schools to the conference. If, for instance, WT, TAMC, ASU, ACU, NColo, N Arizona, Augustana, and S Utah joined the WAC it would have 17 schools, 10 of which play FB. That's a 9 game conference schedule. It works for FB. All other sports could be split into East / West divisions. It works for the other sports.

Would it work for WT (TAMC, ASU, ACU)? Yes. For the WAC? Yes!

To be competitive, WT's athletic budget would have gradually increase to the $25M range. Scholarship costs would probably increase by @ $1.5M a year. Administration positions would increase. More paid coaching positions and higher salaries. Larger recruiting budgets. Travel costs would increase. Etc etc etc. FB recruiting would have to step up big time. Recruiting for the other sports would need to be enhanced, but they are all pretty much competitive right now.

I betcha, all the parties previously mentioned, from the WAC on, are weighing the what ifs, mulling over the possibilities, and putting some bare feet in the water to test the temperature. I betcha!

With strong leadership from the WT President, AD and the university (and moral support from Daddy university systems) such a move is possible. I imagine our AD, somewhere in his bag of tricks, has a 5 year plan to increase WT's athletic budget to $25M. It will require intensified outreach to alumni, business, and prominent bedrock corporate commitment. Enrollment would need to increase over that 5 year period to @ 15,000. It would be expected that enrollment would grow hand-in-hand with the move to D! / FCS.

The tripwire for WT, TAMC, and / or ASU is any of them pulling the D! / FCS trigger. Do they move individually or collectively?
              Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-10-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

I have no idea what is happening behind closed doors. Any opinion I have is purely speculative and hypothetical. With that out of the way, I can either give you some stock market tips or my WT D1 opinion. My WT D1 opinion would surely outstrip any stock tips I could pass on. Which tells you it's not worth much. So, here goes.

When I look at the D1 potential for WT (and when I say WT it is concurrent opinion included for TAMC and ASU), I have actually began to warm up to the idea. I fear that the "old" LSC has been co-opted by "new" LSC non-FB schools. Looking 5-10-20 years down the road, D1 / FCS must be in WT's sports future. The defection of Tarleton set the wheels in motion. It deepened intensity for it's sister LSC egional schools to look beyond the horizon and imagine new possibilities.

When you look at the D1 / FCS beds, it boils down to the Southland and the WAC. I just don't see the Southland as welcoming or as aspirational for WT as the WAC. I believe Tarleton knew something. Today's WAC has 9 schools with NM State and Tarleton being the only FB players. The WAC seems to have committed to adding football schools to the conference. If, for instance, WT, TAMC, ASU, ACU, NC, N Arizona, Augustana, and S Utah joined the WAC it would have 17 schools, 10 of which play FB. That's a 9 game conference schedule. It works for FB. All other sports could be split into East / West divisions. It works for the other sports.

Would it work for WT (TAMC, ASU, ACU)? Yes. For the WAC? Yes!

To be competitive, WT's athletic budget would have gradually increase to the $25M range. Scholarship costs would probably increase by @ $1.5M a year. Administration positions would increase. More paid coaching positions and higher salaries. Larger recruiting budgets. Travel costs would increase. Etc etc etc. FB recruiting would have to step up big time. Recruiting for the other sports would need to be enhanced, but they are all pretty much competitive right now.

I betcha, all the parties previously mentioned, from the WAC on, are weighing the what ifs, mulling over the possibilities, and putting some bare feet in the water to test the temperature. I betcha!

With strong leadership from the President, AD and the university (and moral support from Daddy university systems) such a move be possible. I imagine our AD, somewhere in his bag of tricks, has a 5 year plan to increase WT's athletic budget to $25M. It will require intensified outreach to alumni, business, and prominent bedrock corporate commitment. Enrollment would need to increase over that 5 year period to @ 15,000. It would be expected that enrollment would grow hand-in-hand with the move to D! / FCS.

The trigger for WT, TAMC, and ASU is any of them pulling the D! / FCS trigger. Do they move individually or collectively?
                  Good post. Just wanted to know what a WTAMU fan/alumnus was thinking.

Comment

UNC has been miserable in football only and only due to being terrible. Are you suggesting that going to a joke of a football conference would fix their woes?

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

UNC has been miserable in football only and only due to being terrible. Are you suggesting that going to a joke of a football conference would fix their woes?
                      Yes, it could give them a chance to regroup in a 6 team fledging conference where they won't be competing against established larger budget schools. I am sure that there are those at UNC that are thinking the same thing. Plus, if there are Texas schools it could help them recruit here as well. It is just me thinking out loud. I have no idea which teams will be in the start up conference or even when it will get off the ground. But, it appears they may be half way to 6 before Dixie or Tarleton has played one game.

Comment

New member for the WAC is Southern Utah out of Cedar City. WAC football conference is going to happen. More schools to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Yes, it could give them a chance to regroup in a 6 team fledging conference where they won't be competing against established larger budget schools. I am sure that there are those at UNC that are thinking the same thing. Plus, if there are Texas schools it could help them recruit here as well. It is just me thinking out loud. I have no idea which teams will be in the start up conference or even when it will get off the ground. But, it appears they may be half way to 6 before Dixie or Tarleton has played one game.
                          If they're doing fine in several other sports I don't see them going to a conference that could easily fail soon. The WAC used to be solid, now...not so much. I don't see UNC making that change just due to football right after having hired a big name coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

If they're doing fine in several other sports I don't see them going to a conference that could easily fail soon. The WAC used to be solid, now...not so much. I don't see UNC making that change just due to football right after having hired a big name coach.

Comment

Not in CO it's not a big difference. This is an all in hire that's expected to get results and not by moving to a weak conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X