Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT Feasibility Study Feb 2019

https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2020/1...to-division-i/

I had no idea WT had already done a feasibility study to move to D1. Surprised no WT Alums were discussing the results of the study. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2020/1...to-division-i/

I had no idea WT had already done a feasibility study to move to D1. Surprised no WT Alums were discussing the results of the study. Thoughts?
    Lol. Where have you been??? This was discussed to death.

Welcome to the party!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Lol. Where have you been??? This was discussed to death.

Welcome to the party!
      I knew there was talk, I guessed I missed the part that WT had actually done a study. I wonder what Angelo & TAMUC will do if they bolt ?

Comment

If you want to know who's building what to guide your investigation on who is moving up or staying... read through this.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/DocID/PDF/12717.PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I knew there was talk, I guessed I missed the part that WT had actually done a study. I wonder what Angelo & TAMUC will do if they bolt ?
          You must have visited CO too much the past year!

Comment

Many people spend a lot of time thinking about WT moving up. I'm not one of them. We've been trying to recover since the Nesbitt years, just to be a decent D2 team again. Last year we lost to Angelo, Commerce, and Tarleton, but the 8-3 record was still our best since Nesbitt's caretaker year (2013). If we were to jump to D1, it would probably be another 10 years, if ever, before we become a decent D1 team. In the meantime, we would be hammered regularly like we were against SFA, which is a below-average D1 team.

Maybe it would slightly increase attendance to be playing Lamar, McNeese State, SFA, Dixie State, and other D1 nobodies, but WT's stadium is already "90% full 90% of the time", right? People tell me basketball would benefit, but I don't care about basketball. So, "moving on up" mania is best saved for the Jeffersons, a show I never liked.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
              If you want to know who's building what to guide your investigation on who is moving up or staying... read through this.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/DocID/PDF/12717.PDF
              Based on what I am seeing being spent on Athletic facilities (if that is the gauge)....it would look like TAMUC, TAMUK, ASU. Angelo spending $26M on an indoor athletic competition & practice facility; Kingsville spending $10M on upgrades; Commerce spending $7M on Memorial Stadium.

Looking at renovations and mew construction, all for educational/dorm facilities...WTAMU is spending a large amount on Nursing/Health Education Building with a new phase III underclassman dorm; and lots of renovations to old buildings.

With the overall growth rate in Texas, pretty much all colleges/universities will be building to accommodate the flood of people moving to Texas.

Guess I am not versed enough to know how expenditures, other than athletic expenditures, would absolutely show who is looking to move up to D1. I see high expenditures in universities that don't give a rat about athletics.

Educate me.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Your last few comments have actually been funny. I just thought you were some crazed liberal 13 yr old girl drama who was looking to be the greatest social justice warrior ever. Nice to see the regular guy in you.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                    Many people spend a lot of time thinking about WT moving up. I'm not one of them. We've been trying to recover since the Nesbitt years, just to be a decent D2 team again. Last year we lost to Angelo, Commerce, and Tarleton, but the 8-3 record was still our best since Nesbitt's caretaker year (2013). If we were to jump to D1, it would probably be another 10 years, if ever, before we become a decent D1 team. In the meantime, we would be hammered regularly like we were against SFA, which is a below-average D1 team.

Maybe it would slightly increase attendance to be playing Lamar, McNeese State, SFA, Dixie State, and other D1 nobodies, but WT's stadium is already "90% full 90% of the time", right? People tell me basketball would benefit, but I don't care about basketball. So, "moving on up" mania is best saved for the Jeffersons, a show I never liked.

Comment

Angelo did one also. The finding was the timiing was not right.

Why would a school spend $ if not iinterested? Easy answer.....TO KEEP DONORS HAPPY would be my guess. Happy donors means lots more $$.

We see what happened to WT when football died. Stadium was empty....support died....$$ dropped. Look how fast the BB & SB posts start after a few football L's. Could you imagine they move to D1 and the teams being in the bottom tier year in and year out. It would not be pretty. You would hear screaming about "why did we move up to D1" and a petition/protest/boycott to move back to DII...7070707

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Based on what I am seeing being spent on Athletic facilities (if that is the gauge)....it would look like TAMUC, TAMUK, ASU. Angelo spending $26M on an indoor athletic competition & practice facility; Kingsville spending $10M on upgrades; Commerce spending $7M on Memorial Stadium.

Looking at renovations and mew construction, all for educational/dorm facilities...WTAMU is spending a large amount on Nursing/Health Education Building with a new phase III underclassman dorm; and lots of renovations to old buildings.

With the overall growth rate in Texas, pretty much all colleges/universities will be building to accommodate the flood of people moving to Texas.

Guess I am not versed enough to know how expenditures, other than athletic expenditures, would absolutely show who is looking to move up to D1. I see high expenditures in universities that don't give a rat about athletics.

Educate me.
                        Not sure what it means either, but there's also a $58 million event center (basketball arena) listed on there for Commerce

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Not sure what it means either, but there's also a $58 million event center (basketball arena) listed on there for Commerce

Comment

Everything listed has been approved as part of university facilities improvement plans. They are required to submit approved expenditures to the state and that is this list. Making huge investments in athletic facilities ($58 Million arena for Commerce for example) can fuel anyone's speculation about a possible move up. I for one haven't heard legitimate info regarding Commerce moving up... but that list is interesting for all LSC members because this is a sports board and there are sports facility improvements or new construction for everyone. Example: On campus stadium for MSU, Indoor competition and practice facility (indoor track and football practice) for Angelo... sadly Kingsville is not really getting a lot of $$ thrown to improving facilities or replacing.

Comment

Without knowing the first thing about Texas college football, I can imagine there being a lot of tension between these universities noticing LSC football slowly draining into FCS, and realizing they *could* follow suit if they wanted, versus the reality of whether they *should* make the move financially and whether the university system will support it.

Prairie View is obviously in a unique situation. TAMCC doesn't have to account for football. UIW and ACU don't compare, private to public. Tarleton could be the litmus test.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X