Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I look forward to the return of WAC football at any level.
    I remember reading about the WAC back in 1969 when the Gopher went to Arizona State for a night game and got creamed. Interesting to read about how it came about from the Border & Skyline conference. Also that Idaho was part of the same conference as the PAC school before it was the PAC- the old Pacific Coast Conference up to 1958. I love reading about conference history and realignment.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I remember reading about the WAC back in 1969 when the Gopher went to Arizona State for a night game and got creamed. Interesting to read about how it came about from the Border & Skyline conference. Also that Idaho was part of the same conference as the PAC school before it was the PAC- the old Pacific Coast Conference up to 1958. I love reading about conference history and realignment.
      You just stirred up a lot of memories. I was in high school in Arizona back in the day when ASU was in the WAC and I was a first year grad student in the fall of 69. My wife and I went to the Minnesota game. She almost got me into a fight with the obese guy who sat in front of us. He was puffing away on a cigar and my wife badgered him about the smoke blowing back onto us. He got really annoyed when she leaned over his shoulder and started coughing rather loudly. Frankly that encounter was more memorable than the game.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

My alma mater San Jose State was a WAC member before they joined the Mountain West. The Spartans men's soccer team is still a WAC member and so is Air Force and UNLV in that sport.

Comment

Originally posted by catatonic View Post

You just stirred up a lot of memories. I was in high school in Arizona back in the day when ASU was in the WAC and I was a first year grad student in the fall of 69. My wife and I went to the Minnesota game. She almost got me into a fight with the obese guy who sat in front of us. He was puffing away on a cigar and my wife badgered him about the smoke blowing back onto us. He got really annoyed when she leaned over his shoulder and started coughing rather loudly. Frankly that encounter was more memorable than the game.
          The game didn't start on WCCO 830 until about 10:30 local time. I was a sophomore in HS so I fell asleep by halftime. Kept waking up all night to try to get the final score. Found out Sunday morning that it wasn't worth losing any sleep over.

I went to a play at MSU-Mankato when I was in grad school with a friend and his wife. During intermission a jackass started smoking a pipe just a few seats down. A woman sitting next to me pointed out to her husband that the guy shouldn't be doing that. His reply was that it was worse to complain about it that it was to do it. That ticked me off and I said loudly, "It is against state law to be smoking in here. He is polluting our air and ruining it for the rest of us!" The husband shrank down in his chair while the wife started laughing.

I was in 8th grade at the Renville County fair. They always had a cash drawing and people would crowd around the area to put in the tickets that businesses would give customers in. It was so crowded you could hardly move. I thought a mosquito was biting my left arm, but it got worse. I looked down and there was a huge pile of ashes from the cigar of a fat man who was pinned in next to me. I couldn't even raise my arm- I had to blow the ashes off. No "I'm sorry" from the fat man.

I have no toleration for smoking where you shouldn't be.

Comment

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-...ter-in-decade/

This article states their intentions on moving FBS in about 5 years, similar to common discussion here. New Mexico State factors to join then. The article also mentions 2 more schools potentially joining in the next couple of months. What are everyone's assumptions on the two un-named schools? We can assume West Texas being one, but what is the other? Northern Colorado?

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
              https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-...ter-in-decade/

This article states their intentions on moving FBS in about 5 years, similar to common discussion here. New Mexico State factors to join then. The article also mentions 2 more schools potentially joining in the next couple of months. What are everyone's assumptions on the two un-named schools? We can assume West Texas being one, but what is the other? Northern Colorado?

Comment

I remember seeing a video segment on Grand Canyon Basketball. It is amazing what they do there, and when I found out how much money they have I was shocked.

I didn't even think about Augustana! That is an interesting idea.

I remember reading an article a awhile ago that there were some Big Sky schools being considered for the new WAC. The article stated how the Big Sky wouldn't mind dropping their total number of football playing schools. But this is all good info! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I agree with you.

This is not WT's stadium, it's a rendering that got the students to vote for it. Despite hyping the advantages of end zone seating, there is none.

Comment

A buzz is going around the ranks that the WAC is planning a two Division football Conference....One being a "Texas" division...including these teams:

Abilene Christian
                    Angelo State
                    Lamar
                    Sam Houston
                    Stephen F Austin
                    Tarleton State
                    UTRGV
                    West Texas A&M

the other division includes:

Colorado-Mesa
                    CSU - Pueblo
                    Dixie State
                    Grand Canyon State
                    Northern Arizona
                    Northern Colorado
                    Southern Utah
                    Weber State

Can anyone collaborate this? (looking for the facts, not opinions)

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                      A buzz is going around the ranks that the WAC is planning a two Division football Conference....One being a "Texas" division...including these teams:

Abilene Christian
                      Angelo State
                      Lamar
                      Sam Houston
                      Stephen F Austin
                      Tarleton State
                      UTRGV
                      West Texas A&M

the other division includes:

Colorado-Mesa
                      CSU - Pueblo
                      Dixie State
                      Grand Canyon State
                      Northern Arizona
                      Northern Colorado
                      Southern Utah
                      Weber State

Can anyone collaborate this? (looking for the facts, not opinions)
                      Last edited by catatonic; 01-09-2021, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• My opinion only I think it is way too fast to go from division 2 to FBS in a span of 10 years in football. You are already jumping from 36 in D2 to 63 in FCS and all the way up to 85 in FBS if memory serves me correctly for scholarships. I see a lot of schools struggle during that 5 year transition period even to FCS. FCS in my view is a perfect niche for these schools. My fear would be WT taking games against Tech and TCU to get their arse whipped like Savannah State used too to stay aflot money wise and have to move back to D2 in shambles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

My opinion only I think it is way too fast to go from division 2 to FBS in a span of 10 years in football. You are already jumping from 36 in D2 to 63 in FCS and all the way up to 85 in FBS if memory serves me correctly for scholarships. I see a lot of schools struggle during that 5 year transition period even to FCS. FCS in my view is a perfect niche for these schools. My fear would be WT taking games against Tech and TCU to get their arse whipped like Savannah State used too to stay aflot money wise and have to move back to D2 in shambles.

Comment

• WT taking games against Tech? You remember we used to be D1, right? How often would Tech play us then? I'm sure I don't remember the last time the teams met, but late 50's or early 60's would be the latest. I do remember playing U of Houston and Baylor in blowout games in the late 70's. It was fun watching WT play in the Astrodome.

It would be cool if WT played SFA, Sam Houston, and Lamar. I live relatively close to those schools, and even Abilene is half as far as Canyon. I won't be making reservations any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                              WT taking games against Tech? You remember we used to be D1, right? How often would Tech play us then? I'm sure I don't remember the last time the teams met, but late 50's or early 60's would be the latest. I do remember playing U of Houston and Baylor in blowout games in the late 70's. It was fun watching WT play in the Astrodome.

It would be cool if WT played SFA, Sam Houston, and Lamar. I live relatively close to those schools, and even Abilene is half as far as Canyon. I won't be making reservations any time soon.
                              1964 was the last game with Tech.WT is 4-16 lifetime against Tech...

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

The game didn't start on WCCO 830 until about 10:30 local time. I was a sophomore in HS so I fell asleep by halftime. Kept waking up all night to try to get the final score. Found out Sunday morning that it wasn't worth losing any sleep over.

I went to a play at MSU-Mankato when I was in grad school with a friend and his wife. During intermission a jackass started smoking a pipe just a few seats down. A woman sitting next to me pointed out to her husband that the guy shouldn't be doing that. His reply was that it was worse to complain about it that it was to do it. That ticked me off and I said loudly, "It is against state law to be smoking in here. He is polluting our air and ruining it for the rest of us!" The husband shrank down in his chair while the wife started laughing.

I was in 8th grade at the Renville County fair. They always had a cash drawing and people would crowd around the area to put in the tickets that businesses would give customers in. It was so crowded you could hardly move. I thought a mosquito was biting my left arm, but it got worse. I looked down and there was a huge pile of ashes from the cigar of a fat man who was pinned in next to me. I couldn't even raise my arm- I had to blow the ashes off. No "I'm sorry" from the fat man.

I have no toleration for smoking where you shouldn't be.
                                That story and getting burned was over the top and made me laugh so hard. Same thing happened to me as a kid in a crowd. You just start feeling something painful and you have no idea what going on until your burnt. And here I thought I was the only lucky one to have ever experienced that!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X