Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything new??? I keep reading the same things in this thread, just worded a bit different. Like beating a dead horse.

*YAWN*

NEXT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post
      At this point why would any LSC schools be interested in moving up to the current remaining SLC? That sounds like a dead conference walking.
      The easiest argument would be the top third of the LSC would be competitive right away in mens basketball in the SLC. With the current schools left behind WT would have had an excellent chance of winning the Southland tournament and makin some cash showing up to get routed by 55 points to a top seed. Thats how bad the southland is. Wondering out loud how that benefited ACU to be on TV against Kentucky in the NCAA tournament? Baseball would be competitive. Southland football I may be talking out of my arse but I don't think Commerce would finish at the bottom of the pack.

If the NCAA and Southland waived the transition period to compete in post season sports that may be incentive as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

The easiest argument would be the top third of the LSC would be competitive right away in mens basketball in the SLC. With the current schools left behind WT would have had an excellent chance of winning the Southland tournament and makin some cash showing up to get routed by 55 points to a top seed. Thats how bad the southland is. Wondering out loud how that benefited ACU to be on TV against Kentucky in the NCAA tournament? Baseball would be competitive. Southland football I may be talking out of my arse but I don't think Commerce would finish at the bottom of the pack.

If the NCAA and Southland waived the transition period to compete in post season sports that may be incentive as well?
        Of anyone on this board a Corpus fan should be able to tell us the benefits of winning an SLC title and playing in the tournament.

What boons came from it? Name recognition? Incrrased enrollment numbers? Donors?

It also seems that Corpus is in a weird spot. You are in a landlocked situation and Corpus has facilities like the ABC and Whataburger available for use. They are not the best thing for building a on campus culture but they are ready made facilities that need a tenant and accessible to the larger metro community.

Similar to UTSA, they have chose to leverage existing metro resources rather than investing in their own. Not every community has that option

Watching the ACU Tarleton basketball games last month, they had a commercial for some movie they were making about their "First Dance"

https://youtu.be/DVWnwf55aEM
        Last edited by chrisattsu; 01-23-2021, 09:47 AM.
        Tarleton State Texan
        Texas State Bobcat

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisattsu View Post

Of anyone on this board a Corpus fan should be able to tell us the benefits of winning an SLC title and playing in the tournament.

What boons came from it? Name recognition? Incrrased enrollment numbers? Donors?

It also seems that Corpus is in a weird spot. You are in a landlocked situation and Corpus has facilities like the ABC and Whataburger available for use. They are not the best thing for building a on campus culture but they are ready made facilities that need a tenant and accessible to the larger metro community.

Similar to UTSA, they have chose to leverage existing metro resources rather than investing in their own. Not every community has that option

Watching the ACU Tarleton basketball games last month, they had a commercial for some movie they were making about their "First Dance"

https://youtu.be/DVWnwf55aEM
          Well if Corpus would have held on to their 20 point lead against Wisconsin and scored the upset they would have had way more name recognition. They ran some cool ads during the game about the university being the only one on the island in the united states. I think I read somewhere that a school makes 1.7 million dollars for reaching the NCAA tournament but that was several years ago.

Years later and currently Stephen F Austin has done the most with it scoring some upsets. With the schools mention going to the WAC then the Southland may possibly tie the SWAC for the worst basketball conference in the nation.

Overall Corpus didn't build on the momentum. 90% of their team were seniors and the head coach at the time Ronnie Arrow left for South Alabama. The players that were left transferred and Perry Clark ran that program into the ground putting Corpus on academic probation. Willis Wilson dug them out and had them close to the NCAA tournament a few years ago but mostly has sacrificed talent for graduation. I think he sees the writing on the wall a bit as he has brought in a ton of transfers. Something he really hasn't done in the past.

I agree on the landlock. As Techster stated they used some of that land to build a new tennis facility. They need a new basketball facility badly. There are a few big donors but not sure if its on a large scale.

The pressure may be back on for Corpus to combine with Kingsville and their football program especially with the southland needing football schools to stay afloat.

Comment

Well if Corpus would have held on to their 20 point lead against Wisconsin and scored the upset they would have had way more name recognition. They ran some cool ads during the game about the university being the only one on the island in the united states. I think I read somewhere that a school makes 1.7 million dollars for reaching the NCAA tournament but that was several years ago.

Years later and currently Stephen F Austin has done the most with it scoring some upsets. With the schools mention going to the WAC then the Southland may possibly tie the SWAC for the worst basketball conference in the nation.

Overall Corpus didn't build on the momentum. 90% of their team were seniors and the head coach at the time Ronnie Arrow left for South Alabama. The players that were left transferred and Perry Clark ran that program into the ground putting Corpus on academic probation. Willis Wilson dug them out and had them close to the NCAA tournament a few years ago but mostly has sacrificed talent for graduation. I think he sees the writing on the wall a bit as he has brought in a ton of transfers. Something he really hasn't done in the past.

I agree on the landlock. As Techster stated they used some of that land to build a new tennis facility. They need a new basketball facility badly. There are a few big donors but not sure if its on a large scale.

The pressure may be back on for Corpus to combine with wKingsville and their football program especially with the southland needing football schools to stay afloat.
            Last edited by Techster88; 01-24-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Right now TAMUCC and New Orleans are the only non football schools in the Southland. The Southland trying to lure SWAC schools to save the conference is a desperate move.

2 theories (opinion only):

1) If the Southland is able to poach the remaining top tier LSC schools and SWAC schools then I think the TAMUCC-Kingsville merger pressure will be on to add football.

2) If the Southland collapses its a possibility that TAMUCC reaches out to the Summitt league for admission since half their members are non football schools.

Comment

Right now TAMUCC and New Orleans are the only non football schools in the Southland. The Southland trying to lure SWAC schools to save the conference is a desperate move.

2 theories (opinion only):

1) If the Southland is able to poach the remaining top tier LSC schools and SWitheAC schools then I think the TAMUCC-Kingsville merger pressure will be on to add football.

2) If the Southland collapses its a possibility that TAMUCC reaches out to the Summitt league for admission since half their members are non football schools.
                Evidently, the SLC has already spoken to 3 DII schools in the past 2 weeks.

I am not sure the SLC lost all that much. Of the Texas 4 who went to the WAC 3 of them were in the bottom 5 in SLC football's last regular season (2019). SHSU was the ONLY team in the Top 6.

About 10 days ago SLC commish Burnett mentioned/"hinted" at a Texas targeted expansion. I am hearing those schools may include Angelo, TAMUC, WT. All who could immediately compete at the D1 level in a multitude of both men's and women's sports. Two other Texas schools are to be "discussed" as well.

Now, with this newly "mentioned" expansion, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
                Last edited by ASUPops; 01-25-2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• I just find it very sad that TAMUK , regardless if a future merger with A&M Corpus is in the cards or not, is not even a mention to fill the void in the SLC or the WAC. Even 10 years ago or so, we would have been one of the first to be mentioned. Meanwhile our administration just sits around waiting for the world to burn down or shall I say the program to finish burning down.

Just sad.... sad times bro...... Sad times...

Comment

The pressure may be back on for Corpus to combine with Kingsville and their football program especially with the southland needing football schools to stay afloat.
                    A&M CC is going to get it's basketball facility, much sooner than later. I believe they've asked for it from mothership in the form of a Convocation Center which is one of those lovely loopholes that allows facilities to be built exclusively with state funds(or at least a good chunk of it) since it can be used for general events like graduation and other assemblies. As a resident for Corpus for at least another four years, I hope it does get built fast because Corpus gets left off the indoor concert list for many tours thanks to not having many available dates during basketball. It will be beneficial for both the community and university.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

About 10 days ago SLC commish Burnett mentioned/"hinted" at a Texas targeted expansion. I am hearing those schools may include Angelo, TAMUC, WT. All who could immediately compete at the D1 level in a multitude of both men's and women's sports. Two other Texas schools are to be "discussed" as well.
                      Seems like if all 3 went that'd be ok, but it has to be all 3 you'd think. Who would the other two be?

Comment

• Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Seems like if all 3 went that'd be ok, but it has to be all 3 you'd think. Who would the other two be?
                        I agree 100%

I have no idea. Maybe a team or two from SWAC? But, I would doubt that. Oklahoma DII teams? Midwestern?

Any other thoughts?

Comment

I agree 100%

I have no idea. Maybe a team or two from SWAC? But, I would doubt that. Oklahoma DII teams? Midwestern?

Any other thoughts?
                          Prairie View and Texas Southern

Comment

Evidently, the SLC has already spoken to 3 DII schools in the past 2 weeks.

I am not sure the SLC lost all that much. Of the Texas 4 who went to the WAC 3 of them were in the bottom 5 in SLC football's last regular season (2019). SHSU was the ONLY team in the Top 6.

Now, with this newly "mentioned" expansion, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
                            The decision to leave was about more than football alone.

The schools that left were all in the top half of the all sports trophy standings. The schools that left all have D1 facilities. The schools that left all have ESPN quality broadcast technology in place. The remaining schools have lower budgets and/or inadequate facilities.

WAC basketball will be much stronger than in the Southland. The combination of the best SLC and WAC basketball schools will place the new WAC in the top half of basketball conferences ensuring a better single or possibly two bids to the NCAA which in turn increases revenue sharing,

Comment

• Originally posted by catatonic View Post

The decision to leave was about more than football alone.

The schools that left were all in the top half of the all sports trophy standings. The schools that left all have D1 facilities. The schools that left all have ESPN quality broadcast technology in place. The remaining schools have lower budgets and/or inadequate facilities.

WAC basketball will be much stronger than in the Southland. The combination of the best SLC and WAC basketball schools will place the new WAC in the top half of basketball conferences ensuring a better single or possibly two bids to the NCAA which in turn increases revenue sharing,

The WAC will be much stronger than the Southland because the Southland top two mens basketball teams over the last several years (SFA and SHSU) will be WAC members. The rest of that statement you want to tap the breaks. New Mexico State has been the only decent basketball team in that conference. Adding SFA and SHSU will increase the competition but not to the point where it will be a top half or multi bid league. SFA had a couple of years where they were 28-3'ish and were projected to be sent to the NIT if they didn't win the conference tournament.

Comment

The WAC will be much stronger than the Southland because the Southland top two mens basketball teams over the last several years (SFA and SHSU) will be WAC members. The rest of that statement you want to tap the breaks. New Mexico State has been the only decent basketball team in that conference. Adding SFA and SHSU will increase the competition but not to the point where it will be a top half or multi bid league. SFA had a couple of years where they were 28-3'ish and were projected to be sent to the NIT if they didn't win the conference tournament.
                                Last edited by catatonic; 01-26-2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X