Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• I 100% agree with you in the aspect that the WAC will be more competitive.

it is possible for 2 teams to be in the top 100? Sure. You will have at least one turd in the bottom 300 and definitely some 250 and below.

ACU wouldn't have beaten SFA last year. The year ACU made it they were a 15 seed and New Mexico usually hovers on the 13 and 14 line even when they win 30 games. SFA is on the 11 and 12 line during years they upset a Duke or Oklahoma and win 28+ games.

By your definition of "top half". 32 conferences. I guess I could see them being 15th on some years so I will concede that.

I will bet you and anyone on here my retirement pension that if the WAC stays as is with the new Texas additions that they will not ever get an at large bid if the conference champ falls in the conference tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I 100% agree with you in the aspect that the WAC will be more competitive.

it is possible for 2 teams to be in the top 100? Sure. You will have at least one turd in the bottom 300 and definitely some 250 and below.

ACU wouldn't have beaten SFA last year. The year ACU made it they were a 15 seed and New Mexico usually hovers on the 13 and 14 line even when they win 30 games. SFA is on the 11 and 12 line during years they upset a Duke or Oklahoma and win 28+ games.

By your definition of "top half". 32 conferences. I guess I could see them being 15th on some years so I will concede that.

I will bet you and anyone on here my retirement pension that if the WAC stays as is with the new Texas additions that they will not ever get an at large bid if the conference champ falls in the conference tournament.
        Last edited by catatonic; 01-27-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Evidently, the SLC has already spoken to 3 DII schools in the past 2 weeks.

I am not sure the SLC lost all that much. Of the Texas 4 who went to the WAC 3 of them were in the bottom 5 in SLC football's last regular season (2019). SHSU was the ONLY team in the Top 6.

About 10 days ago SLC commish Burnett mentioned/"hinted" at a Texas targeted expansion. I am hearing those schools may include Angelo, TAMUC, WT. All who could immediately compete at the D1 level in a multitude of both men's and women's sports. Two other Texas schools are to be "discussed" as well.

Now, with this newly "mentioned" expansion, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comment

• Midwestern is interestingly quiet and regularly overlooked in the D1 move up talk. They have had a lot of success against all these schools moving up or considering a move. MSU has been every bit the equal as Tarleton, ACU, WTAM, Commerce over the past 20 years in men's sports. And more so dominated ASU & Incarnate over the years. The women's programs have had very modest success in soccer and cross country but struggle elsewhere outside a few banner years. The women's side would have the hardest time competing in the near term at the D1 level.

Wichita Falls is on similar footing as most of these towns too. Outside of men's bball, MSU athletics overall is still "young." Football has only been back for 30 years now. They don't have the same longevity and as a result less boosters who have sports at the top of their list. MSU also has a smaller student population than WTAM & Tarleton. So athletic fee revenue isn't in the same ballpark.

MSU is officially headed to the Texas Tech system this August. This is a big deal for the university. One of the last to leave the land of independents. I do wonder if that somehow ties Angelo and MSU together? No inside knowledge just a thought, but I am skeptical.

I believe MSU at large is happy in the LSC. Maskill has been wanting to move up for years, and he has some insiders that agree, but I don't think the appetite at large would really push this. They have started the pursuit of an on-campus football stadium and the necessary fundraising. I think it would be great for the university, but again I don't know if it is happening in the short-term. Memorial is big and functional and does the trick for 4 or 5 Saturdays a year. It's definitely not pretty and is showing it's age, but has local charm because of all the big games played there over the years.

My guess is that MSU will stay in the LSC and experience above average success (especially with all their competition leaving) for another 10+ years in the big sports. I just don't know if the timing is right for a move now. It would be intriguing, and I am sure conversations would be had. We will miss the rivalries, but new ones will pop up and they'll soon be fun.

Comment

• Quick add-on: MSU basketball is not young however for those that don't know. They have a rich and long history. They have had a ton of success, and the team is back in the right direction after the epic Haggerty flame-out. Leslie is doing a great job. WF does a good job supporting MSU sports. It could always be better, but I believe the bball team is on the same footing as the fball team as far as support goes in this town. There have just been too many deep runs and big time moments going back to 40's in this town. The older alumni base and the town at large is deeply connected to it's hoops.

Comment

• There might be a reason why any talk of Midwestern State has been quiet. MSU has five men's sports and will not be allowed to move to D1 without adding at least one more men's sport. D1 requires members to have a minimum of 7/7 or 6m/8w sports. Additionally, every current and future Southland and WAC member has baseball except Southern Utah and outgoing Chicago State (who just dropped the sport). Some have speculated Southern Utah will bring baseball back. Baseball might be a required sport in the Southland.

Why are there schools without baseball in the LSC? Midwestern State, Texas A&M-Commerce, and Western New Mexico are the non-baseball schools in the LSC other than Texas Woman's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                  There might be a reason why any talk of Midwestern State has been quiet. MSU has five men's sports and will not be allowed to move to D1 without adding at least one more men's sport. D1 requires members to have a minimum of 7/7 or 6m/8w sports. Additionally, every current and future Southland and WAC member has baseball except Southern Utah and outgoing Chicago State (who just dropped the sport). Some have speculated Southern Utah will bring baseball back. Baseball might be a required sport in the Southland.

Why are there schools without baseball in the LSC? Midwestern State, Texas A&M-Commerce, and Western New Mexico are the non-baseball schools in the LSC other than Texas Woman's.
                  Based on 7/7 or 6m/8w sports, TAMUC would not be eligible either, same as MSU, unless they add a men's sport.

Personally, I think DII is the best place to be for the current LSC members.

Comment

Based on 7/7 or 6m/8w sports, TAMUC would not be eligible either, same as MSU, unless they add a men's sport.

TAMUC has 6m/8w sports. Indoor and Outdoor T&F count separately.

Comment

Agree with this.

Also, I didn't know about that rule. For what it is worth, MSU was at the goal line to adding a baseball program a few years back. They had all the donors lined up (a couple bigger ones were pushing it), new stadium plans drawn and even interviewed coaches if I remember right. The BOR ultimately decided against it. I think it was the right decision. I just don't see an appetite for it despite this area having great high school baseball programs that have produced many pros.

I'd guess men's cross country would be the 1st choice now if necessary due to funding. MSU has had a lot of success on the women's side since adding it earlier this century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

TAMUC has 6m/8w sports. Indoor and Outdoor T&F count separately.
                        Ahhh. Thanks for that info.

Comment

• I never understood why Midwestern has not fielded a baseball program. Blows my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
                            I never understood why Midwestern has not fielded a baseball program. Blows my mind.
                            Same with Commerce. The East Texas area is a fertile baseball talent area. Dallas Community College is in the top 10 in the nation it seems like every season.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Same with Commerce. The East Texas area is a fertile baseball talent area. Dallas Community College is in the top 10 in the nation it seems like every season.
                              Title IX for the most part. Plus Baseball is not a very good revenue sport.

Comment

• Now McNeese is exploring options to leave the Southland. Says there may be opportunities they are missing. ASUN just needs one more team to have 6 football teams and start an FCS conference. Not sure the value of McNeese is what conferences are looking for. But, they have a solid football program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X