Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azusa Pacific has officially ended its Football Program

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...tball-program/

Thats sad to read. They were kicking arse in NAIA and worked hard to transition to D2 and become a really good team. Remembered the first time they travelled to WT I think in 2009 as an NAIA team and got spanked.

Comment

As I've stated on the GNCA board, they did it because they can. There is no accountability at smaller schools, sadly. The media isn't paying attention, the alums and boosters are often disconnected and cheer more for their D-1 program than their alma mater. The administrators (see Humboldt State) return to their 6-figure jobs or nice pension (see HSU again) and laugh as coaches, players, and those who care are left out in the cold.

Admins do this because they CAN.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        As I've stated on the GNCA board, they did it because they can. There is no accountability at smaller schools, sadly. The media isn't paying attention, the alums and boosters are often disconnected and cheer more for their D-1 program than their alma mater. The administrators (see Humboldt State) return to their 6-figure jobs or nice pension (see HSU again) and laugh as coaches, players, and those who care are left out in the cold.

Admins do this because they CAN.
        There may be some truth to that and was made easier by the covid. Admins can be pressured and guilted into reconsidering the decision or bring it back. As you said it may be harder to do at the D2 level finding the alums and donors to do it.

I know UAB cancelled its football program but brought it back when the heat was put on so there is a history to follow there.

Comment

Looks like we have an opening in the schedule now

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
            Looks like we have an opening in the schedule now
            Dude I know Kingsville hasn't been that good lately but thats harsh.....;)
            I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Not surprising at all. Talking with a co-worker who's a Northwest Missouri State alum and former lineman one thing is clear that a lot of the problem is the culture of the West Coast. The West Coast has a progressive liberal elitist attitude and Sports in general are not a Priority for the Universities and the student culture.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
                Not surprising at all. Talking with a co-worker who's a Northwest Missouri State alum and former lineman one thing is clear that a lot of the problem is the culture of the West Coast. The West Coast has a progressive liberal elitist attitude and Sports in general are not a Priority for the Universities and the student culture.
                Who is that player?

Comment

I realize that this is not D2, but Nike's Phil Knight seems about as West Coast progressive liberal elitist as they come and he pours millions and millions into Oregon athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post

I realize that this is not D2, but Nike's Phil Knight seems about as West Coast progressive liberal elitist as they come and he pours millions and millions into Oregon athletics.
                    You mean the guy that made a bazillion dollars selling BASKETBALL SHOES?!?!?! What a Shocker that he would support sports!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post

I also wouldn't describe APU as a "progressive liberal elitist" institution either. It's the mindless "right vs. left" dribble that plagues most conversation these days. Someone does something you* don't like? They automatically belong to the opposite political ideology you do, and that is the real problem. It doesn't require a commitment to any deeper thought process than that.

IMO, rogue administrators are the real problem. You have intellectual snobs (both right and left) who don't think football is worthy of being associated with higher education. You have admins who cut football to "save money" for the school - then they get to stand at the podium and flex their muscles at how great they are for "fixing the problem." Some probably just do it for the sake of it because they know that the alumni and student body won't do anything to stop them.

All the while we're here trying to determine what color hat they are wearing, they are busy taking away our hobby from us for no good reason. Who is the real winner and the real loser here? It's not the right or the left, I can assure you that.

(*I don't mean "you" personally).

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

You mean the guy that made a bazillion dollars selling BASKETBALL SHOES?!?!?! What a Shocker that he would support sports!
                          Liberals hate sports, they hate making money, and they hate doing nice things for people - maybe Phil Knight is really a conservative?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                            travel to play in Texas
                            That sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds like the typical victimhood stance - which usually doesn't work past the 3rd grade. The first question I'd ask is "Why would California do that?" Any answer involving "the liberals" would pretty much tell me that it's not true.

Anyway, it's always been my dream to live in SoCal, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. There are just too many people. It used to be a very beautiful state from what I have seen, but now there are too many businesses polluting the environment, too many suburbanite starter castles with large front lawns wasting tons of water, and the smog. The solution to which has been disjointed regulations hurting the wrong people and not solving any problems they set out to solve.

It hit me when I saw a video of one of my favorite musicians, Mike Ness, performing somewhere in Orange County. He said "This all used to be orange groves." That sounded lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds like the typical victimhood stance - which usually doesn't work past the 3rd grade. The first question I'd ask is "Why would California do that?" Any answer involving "the liberals" would pretty much tell me that it's not true.

Anyway, it's always been my dream to live in SoCal, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. There are just too many people. It used to be a very beautiful state from what I have seen, but now there are too many businesses polluting the environment, too many suburbanite starter castles with large front lawns wasting tons of water, and the smog. The solution to which has been disjointed regulations hurting the wrong people and not solving any problems they set out to solve.

It hit me when I saw a video of one of my favorite musicians, Mike Ness, performing somewhere in Orange County. He said "This all used to be orange groves." That sounded lovely.
                              Just southeast of Tustin and Santa Ana on I-5 that was a 2 lane in each direction at the time in the mid 60's, navel orange groves lined the freeway from Tustin MCAS helicopter station all the way to San Juan Capistrano. Strawberry fields were also plentiful. It was beautiful back then! And you had MCAS El Toro right in the middle of it all. Nobody cared about the noise of jets back then. No Irvine, Lake Forest or Mission Viejo. Now it's all just track homes, business, and bumper to bumper highways. Glad I got away from it all back in the late 70's. It's so sad when I go back to visit and not really recongnize any of it any more. I saw it all coming. Enjoying the slow life of southern Colorado, but that too is very slowly disappearing.

Tesla and SpaceX will be leaving California very soon for Texas. California is close to losing 1 million people a year. I expect the bottom to drop on that state very soon! The state supported schools will feel the $ pinch very soon. The arts and sports are always the first to go. I wonder why the 6 figure administrators got such a big slush fund for a rainy day. They see it coming. D-1 schools and lower Divisions are starting to see what happen. They for some reason cant get as many 5 star recruits as in the past for all sports. All sports on the west coast are dying a slow death, except for maybe surfing. The PAC 12 and MWC are just surviving. BYU has the same attitude as Fresno State once had, "Anytime Anywhere Against Anybody." Face it, sports west of the Rockies is slowly dyeing like California. University of Oregon may survive with its billionaire supporter, but for how long will he have the cash to do so?

Is the University of Hawaii Football done? If not, where do they play home games? Aloha Stadium is falling apart. No longer habitable. No events will be scheduled in that stadium for the future.

Well that's my two cents worth.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X