Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

That sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds like the typical victimhood stance - which usually doesn't work past the 3rd grade. The first question I'd ask is "Why would California do that?" Any answer involving "the liberals" would pretty much tell me that it's not true.

Anyway, it's always been my dream to live in SoCal, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. There are just too many people. It used to be a very beautiful state from what I have seen, but now there are too many businesses polluting the environment, too many suburbanite starter castles with large front lawns wasting tons of water, and the smog. The solution to which has been disjointed regulations hurting the wrong people and not solving any problems they set out to solve.

It hit me when I saw a video of one of my favorite musicians, Mike Ness, performing somewhere in Orange County. He said "This all used to be orange groves." That sounded lovely.
    Not sure myself, I googled it and sure enough there are stories about by the Texas Tribune and Sacramento Bee. I cannot say how much this is an intrusion on freedoms and personal rights under the guise of some political dogma. This is college sports not politics. Gross ignorance at the highest level of state government IMO.

Comment

That sounds a little fishy to me. It sounds like the typical victimhood stance - which usually doesn't work past the 3rd grade. The first question I'd ask is "Why would California do that?" Any answer involving "the liberals" would pretty much tell me that it's not true.

Anyway, it's always been my dream to live in SoCal, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. There are just too many people. It used to be a very beautiful state from what I have seen, but now there are too many businesses polluting the environment, too many suburbanite starter castles with large front lawns wasting tons of water, and the smog. The solution to which has been disjointed regulations hurting the wrong people and not solving any problems they set out to solve.

It hit me when I saw a video of one of my favorite musicians, Mike Ness, performing somewhere in Orange County. He said "This all used to be orange groves." That sounded lovely.
      Add massive homeless encampments and trash to the list of why people are leaving California and why you might not want to live there.

However, I'm sure you thought of the irony of you wanting to live in SoCal, but not being able to because of too many people living there and polluting the area.

Truly "Bad Luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Add massive homeless encampments and trash to the list of why people are leaving California and why you might not want to live there.

However, I'm sure you thought of the irony of you wanting to live in SoCal, but not being able to because of too many people living there and polluting the area.

Truly "Bad Luck."
        Folks around here tell me California is a big prison - one could say I'm "Prison Bound." ;)

Anyway, yes - I have thought a lot about that. I would essentially become "part of the problem." That being said, it's just a dream. I doubt I'll ever afford to be able to act on it anyway.

The homeless encampments don't really bother me too much. They are definitely a large scale issue, but they exist everywhere to some extent. The trash is a bit annoying and can be a health hazard though.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Not sure myself, I googled it and sure enough there are stories about by the Texas Tribune and Sacramento Bee. I cannot say how much this is an intrusion on freedoms and personal rights under the guise of some political dogma. This is college sports not politics. Gross ignorance at the highest level of state government IMO.
          If it is true, I am wholeheartedly against it. I don't think states should have the power to sanction other states willy nilly like that, and especially for sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

Just southeast of Tustin and Santa Ana on I-5 that was a 2 lane in each direction at the time in the mid 60's, navel orange groves lined the freeway from Tustin MCAS helicopter station all the way to San Juan Capistrano. Strawberry fields were also plentiful. It was beautiful back then! And you had MCAS El Toro right in the middle of it all. Nobody cared about the noise of jets back then. No Irvine, Lake Forest or Mission Viejo. Now it's all just track homes, business, and bumper to bumper highways. Glad I got away from it all back in the late 70's. It's so sad when I go back to visit and not really recongnize any of it any more. I saw it all coming. Enjoying the slow life of southern Colorado, but that too is very slowly disappearing.

Tesla and SpaceX will be leaving California very soon for Texas. California is close to losing 1 million people a year. I expect the bottom to drop on that state very soon! The state supported schools will feel the $ pinch very soon. The arts and sports are always the first to go. I wonder why the 6 figure administrators got such a big slush fund for a rainy day. They see it coming. D-1 schools and lower Divisions are starting to see what happen. They for some reason cant get as many 5 star recruits as in the past for all sports. All sports on the west coast are dying a slow death, except for maybe surfing. The PAC 12 and MWC are just surviving. BYU has the same attitude as Fresno State once had, "Anytime Anywhere Against Anybody." Face it, sports west of the Rockies is slowly dyeing like California. University of Oregon may survive with its billionaire supporter, but for how long will he have the cash to do so?

Is the University of Hawaii Football done? If not, where do they play home games? Aloha Stadium is falling apart. No longer habitable. No events will be scheduled in that stadium for the future.

Well that's my two cents worth.
            There was an excellent documentary made about California's problems some years back. It was very well balanced, they had receipts for their claims, and I got the feeling their intent was to educate people - not to push an agenda, which was awesome. For part of the documentary, they interviewed some older folks who told what it used to be like - open spaces, beaches, and those famous orange groves. It didn't even touch issues like the Salton Sea or some of those bizarre oddities - just the meat and potatoes. I'm not sure if it was ever on TV, but it was on YouTube.

Is that number gross or net? I'd heard that about that many are leaving, but a bunch are still moving in too, bringing the net loss down around to a couple hundred thousand. My guess is that it will be a while before we experience the apocalyptic scenario that many are predicting, if at all. CA will always be a desirable place to live. Where I'm at in Minnesota is not desirable, my entire region is losing population. My county is down 5.3% since 2010. There's no reason to move out here, and the opportunity is drying up quickly. I'm going to have to leave soon if I want to make a decent living for myself. It's weird how all this stuff works, and fascinating.

As far as sports goes, I think small-college athletics is going to feel some pain country wide. We lost two football teams last year in our conference alone. I expect JUCO football to be gone in Minnesota within the next 10 years or so, at least outside of the Twin Cities. I imagine it will also hit hard in places like the northeastern US - lots of schools that are in trouble looking to make cuts, or mergers. I don't think most CA schools had football to begin with, or had it for a very brief time.

Aloha Stadium just closed last week - I haven't heard what the plan is. They will need a home for the next two seasons until their new stadium is complete. I've heard speculation they may move to Maui, and one guy made a case for Las Vegas - but who knows. With a new stadium coming, I'd imagine they will stick around for a while at least.

Comment

There was an excellent documentary made about California's problems some years back. It was very well balanced, they had receipts for their claims, and I got the feeling their intent was to educate people - not to push an agenda, which was awesome. For part of the documentary, they interviewed some older folks who told what it used to be like - open spaces, beaches, and those famous orange groves. It didn't even touch issues like the Salton Sea or some of those bizarre oddities - just the meat and potatoes. I'm not sure if it was ever on TV, but it was on YouTube.

Is that number gross or net? I'd heard that about that many are leaving, but a bunch are still moving in too, bringing the net loss down around to a couple hundred thousand. My guess is that it will be a while before we experience the apocalyptic scenario that many are predicting, if at all. CA will always be a desirable place to live. Where I'm at in Minnesota is not desirable, my entire region is losing population. My county is down 5.3% since 2010. There's no reason to move out here, and the opportunity is drying up quickly. I'm going to have to leave soon if I want to make a decent living for myself. It's weird how all this stuff works, and fascinating.

As far as sports goes, I think small-college athletics is going to feel some pain country wide. We lost two football teams last year in our conference alone. I expect JUCO football to be gone in Minnesota within the next 10 years or so, at least outside of the Twin Cities. I imagine it will also hit hard in places like the northeastern US - lots of schools that are in trouble looking to make cuts, or mergers. I don't think most CA schools had football to begin with, or had it for a very brief time.

Aloha Stadium just closed last week - I haven't heard what the plan is. They will need a home for the next two seasons until their new stadium is complete. I've heard speculation they may move to Maui, and one guy made a case for Las Vegas - but who knows. With a new stadium coming, I'd imagine they will stick around for a while at least.

I think I saw a stat that said 38% more are leaving than entering each year, but I could be confused or simply wrong.

I think you are correct. I thought the story you provided a link to was interesting. Frankly, if we are looking at the educational situation from the standpoint of efficiency, there should be some consolidation among public schools. The private schools can do what they want, but my guess is that consolidation and closure is even a more real possibility for them.

Comment

If it is true, I am wholeheartedly against it. I don't think states should have the power to sanction other states willy nilly like that, and especially for sports.
                https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...l%3f0p19G=2103

Comment

I remember when that happened. I don't agree with NC's stance, but that wasn't the right way to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think I saw a stat that said 38% more are leaving than entering each year, but I could be confused or simply wrong.

I think you are correct. I thought the story you provided a link to was interesting. Frankly, if we are looking at the educational situation from the standpoint of efficiency, there should be some consolidation among public schools. The private schools can do what they want, but my guess is that consolidation and closure is even a more real possibility for them.
                    I just did a quick Google search and found the below article from the LA Times. Obviously, these stats can be doctored a bit (like using arbitrary starting and ending dates) so I take them with a grain of salt. I don't necessarily buy that they had a net gain outside of some anomaly captured within the date codes though.

Net gain of ~.05% from 7/1/19 - 7/1/20 (about 21,000 people). However, LA County had a net loss of over 40,000. The few people making up that gain aren't moving to Los Angeles, which is important to note.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ntinued-exodus

I'd like to see public colleges consolidate their governance to a state-wide system level. This is just my opinion, but when you have public services competing with each other like businesses, it leads to some bizarre results. It's what I'd like to see with Minnesota State. It's also a minor issue, but public schools should be restricted to a state jurisdiction and should not operate competing campuses outside of their state. Arizona State does this and it irks me. Waivers can be applied for things like a DC Government center or those types of special interest focuses, but Arizona State shouldn't be competing with California State, in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

Just southeast of Tustin and Santa Ana on I-5 that was a 2 lane in each direction at the time in the mid 60's, navel orange groves lined the freeway from Tustin MCAS helicopter station all the way to San Juan Capistrano. Strawberry fields were also plentiful. It was beautiful back then! And you had MCAS El Toro right in the middle of it all. Nobody cared about the noise of jets back then. No Irvine, Lake Forest or Mission Viejo. Now it's all just track homes, business, and bumper to bumper highways. Glad I got away from it all back in the late 70's. It's so sad when I go back to visit and not really recongnize any of it any more. I saw it all coming. Enjoying the slow life of southern Colorado, but that too is very slowly disappearing.

Tesla and SpaceX will be leaving California very soon for Texas. California is close to losing 1 million people a year. I expect the bottom to drop on that state very soon! The state supported schools will feel the $ pinch very soon. The arts and sports are always the first to go. I wonder why the 6 figure administrators got such a big slush fund for a rainy day. They see it coming. D-1 schools and lower Divisions are starting to see what happen. They for some reason cant get as many 5 star recruits as in the past for all sports. All sports on the west coast are dying a slow death, except for maybe surfing. The PAC 12 and MWC are just surviving. BYU has the same attitude as Fresno State once had, "Anytime Anywhere Against Anybody." Face it, sports west of the Rockies is slowly dyeing like California. University of Oregon may survive with its billionaire supporter, but for how long will he have the cash to do so?

Is the University of Hawaii Football done? If not, where do they play home games? Aloha Stadium is falling apart. No longer habitable. No events will be scheduled in that stadium for the future.

Well that's my two cents worth.
                      I assume in BYU you mean their football team? Their basketball team does that too in getting into the holiday tournaments with top teams too, although by far are not the best basketball team in their conference despite being a top 15 team last year before losing in their conference tournament finals. Then again, Gonzaga (also a program you should probably mention if talking about all sports) has taken their program to another level from even the Pac-12 schools in basketball for BYU's conference in sports other than football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X