Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSC Spring Football

I just looked at the Peccaries' schedule. They have 4 games, 2 of which are against the New Mexico teams. Are these going to happen?

https://javelinaathletics.com/sports.../schedule/2020

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    I just looked at the Peccaries' schedule. They have 4 games, 2 of which are against the New Mexico teams. Are these going to happen?

I don't think you can rely on our website too much. They have really dropped the ball this fall with updating rosters, schedules, etc for any teams not currently competing.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

No, ENMU and Western are not playing.

Governor Dark Helmet is sucking the life out of the state...
      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

No, ENMU and Western are not playing.

Governor Dark Helmet is sucking the life out of the state...
        In less than a week, multiply by 50.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

I don't think you can rely on our website too much. They have really dropped the ball this fall with updating rosters, schedules, etc for any teams not currently competing.
          They did update it, by removing the 2020 football schedule completely.

Comment

Tarleton is finally ready to play a D1 schedule - except there are some familiar names. Just think, if WT got a schedule like this by moving to D1, we would probably get dozens of additional fans at the games!

https://tarletonsports.com/sports/football/schedule

Comment

Tarleton is finally ready to play a D1 schedule - except there are some familiar names. Just think, if WT got a schedule like this by moving to D1, we would probably get dozens of additional fans at the games!

https://tarletonsports.com/sports/football/schedule

Comment

After listening to Hughes talk about it on the Press Pass Sports podcast after signing day, I don't think they are anywhere near the move. Unless he is just blowing smoke, but what he said makes sense.

https://m.soundcloud.com/thepresspas...pboard&p=i&c=1

?????

Comment

In less than a week, multiply by 50.
                  Much like anti-vaxxer children, this hasn't aged well.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about Commerce starting football back up. The New Mexico schools still appear to be out. UTPB has 3 games scheduled, MSU 4, and Kingsville 2. No telling how many of the games will really happen.

Just because fans and observers think WT should move up, it doesn't mean that they will. One of my frustrations with WT when I was there, was we rarely played any "big name teams" in football, even though we were D1 then. McNeese State, Lamar, and other teams didn't excite the fan base back then, and they won't now either. So at least in football, we might expect an increase of dozens of fans for the yawner teams we will be playing - like the ones on Tarleton's schedule. We still haven't fully recovered from the Carthel firing, and haven't won the LSC since the year he left, so how do you think we would do in D1? Tarleton was at least an excellent team their last 2 years in D2.

Basketball is another story, but I can't stand watching it.

Comment

I haven't heard anything about Commerce starting football back up. The New Mexico schools still appear to be out. UTPB has 3 games scheduled, MSU 4, and Kingsville 2. No telling how many of the games will really happen.

Just because fans and observers think WT should move up, it doesn't mean that they will. One of my frustrations with WT when I was there, was we rarely played any "big name teams" in football, even though we were D1 then. McNeese State, Lamar, and other teams didn't excite the fan base back then, and they won't now either. So at least in football, we might expect an increase of dozens of fans for the yawner teams we will be playing - like the ones on Tarleton's schedule. We still haven't fully recovered from the Carthel firing, and haven't won the LSC since the year he left, so how do you think we would do in D1? Tarleton was at least an excellent team their last 2 years in D2.

Are these games more or less going to be spring scrimmages? There seems to be little excitement or talk surrounding them?

As far as Tarleton's football schedule they are going through transition so I wouldn't expect to see a better D1 schedule until at least year 3 of transition. Tech has scheduled Tarleton. I believe Tarleton will also play TCU and A&M also not sure though.

Not sure how they do in D1 initially and as fans they may not achieve the success we want. I think you remember how WT struggled financially as State in D1. That won't happen to WT as A&M because you get immediate access to PUF. I believe its more about the A&M brand and having WT as D1 member gains more visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Are these games more or less going to be spring scrimmages? There seems to be little excitement or talk surrounding them?

As far as Tarleton's football schedule they are going through transition so I wouldn't expect to see a better D1 schedule until at least year 3 of transition. Tech has scheduled Tarleton. I believe Tarleton will also play TCU and A&M also not sure though.

Not sure how they do in D1 initially and as fans they may not achieve the success we want. I think you remember how WT struggled financially as State in D1. That won't happen to WT as A&M because you get immediate access to PUF. I believe its more about the A&M brand and having WT as D1 member gains more visibility.
                        I remember how A&M came in and immediately canceled the football program. Our administration then leased our fine stadium to CISD on a 99 year, $1 per year lease. So we paid CISD good money to play there after the one year off. Maintenance didn't happen and it ran down until WT finally gave it to CISD for $500K, the price of a nice home. Since then CISD has invested heavily in renovating the stadium.

I thought the PUF funding is for the UT system only. Has that changed?

Could you provide a link regarding Tech playing Tarleton? It's hard for me to believe. Even if it's true, Tech will not host WT in football.

It would be a very long time before WT could achieve a .500 or better record in D1. Look at how long we were down after the Carthel firing. The best record since was 8-3 in 2019, where we lost to Angelo, Commerce, and Tarleton. We won by 4 points against Kingsville and UTPB that year. Not exactly a juggernaut. We took a serious beating from a below average D1 school, SFA, in 2020. It remains to be seen if we will ever win the LSC with the current coaching staff, which would likely have to be replaced for a D1 move. I like Coach Hughes, but he has yet to deliver the amazing defense that he coordinated at CSU-P. He certainly is much better than his predecessor.

It seems like there should be more enthusiasm for Spring football, but Kingsville's 2 game schedule is little more than a joke; however they originally also scheduled the 2 NM schools, which evidently are not playing. We have very few posters from MSU and UTPB.

Comment

I remember how A&M came in and immediately canceled the football program. Our administration then leased our fine stadium to CISD on a 99 year, $1 per year lease. So we paid CISD good money to play there after the one year off. Maintenance didn't happen and it ran down until WT finally gave it to CISD for $500K, the price of a nice home. Since then CISD has invested heavily in renovating the stadium.

I thought the PUF funding is for the UT system only. Has that changed?

Could you provide a link regarding Tech playing Tarleton? It's hard for me to believe. Even if it's true, Tech will not host WT in football.

It would be a very long time before WT could achieve a .500 or better record in D1. Look at how long we were down after the Carthel firing. The best record since was 8-3 in 2019, where we lost to Angelo, Commerce, and Tarleton. We won by 4 points against Kingsville and UTPB that year. Not exactly a juggernaut. We took a serious beating from a below average D1 school, SFA, in 2020. It remains to be seen if we will ever win the LSC with the current coaching staff, which would likely have to be replaced for a D1 move. I like Coach Hughes, but he has yet to deliver the amazing defense that he coordinated at CSU-P. He certainly is much better than his predecessor.

It seems like there should be more enthusiasm for Spring football, but Kingsville's 2 game schedule is little more than a joke; however they originally also scheduled the 2 NM schools, which evidently are not playing. We have very few posters from MSU and UTPB.
                          https://www.aggienetwork.com/media/g...vocacy/puf.pdf

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/tarleton-state/

Comment

Thanks for the info! Interesting to see not only TCU and Tech, but the mother ship as future opponents.

Comment

My opinion only in the short term basketball is the easiest and fastest ticket for national exposure. Very few peeps ever heard of Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola-Chicago, or MAryland-Baltimore COunty until they scored multiple upsets and runs in the NCAA tourney. The only reason FCS football has been getting the national exposure recently is because of NOrth Dakota State dominance and usually taking out FBS teams every year. Baseball is doable but more difficult. WT, ACU, Tarleton, etc. would be sent to Tech, TCU, OU, RIce, etc. to die a quick death in the regional playoffs..

Side Note: WT should restart their tennis program. They have teams and individual players in the panhandle (Amarillo High and Hereford) that produce state and individual champions. Coaches also have had mentions for state coaches of the year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X