Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Buffalo/Islander Alum;n563565]

My opinion only in the short term basketball is the easiest and fastest ticket for national exposure. Very few peeps ever heard of Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola-Chicago, or MAryland-Baltimore COunty until they scored multiple upsets and runs in the NCAA tourney. The only reason FCS football has been getting the national exposure recently is because of NOrth Dakota State dominance and usually taking out FBS teams every year. Baseball is doable but more difficult. WT, ACU, Tarleton, etc. would be sent to Tech, TCU, OU, RIce, etc. to die a quick death in the regional playoffs..

Side Note WT should restart their tennis program. They have teams and individual players in the panhandle (Amarillo High and Hereford) that produce state and individual champions. Coaches also have had mentions for state coaches of the year.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. You can find tennis talent all over the state of Texas. New Braunfels HS by way of Newks Tennis Academy, Highland Park Dallas area and Austin WestLake and Lake Travis are your dominant programs. Houston SpringBranch Memorial is solid as well but less successful than others

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Thanks for the info! Interesting to see not only TCU and Tech, but the mother ship as future opponents.
      PUF is only available to D1 schools in the UT & A&M systems

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

My opinion only in the short term basketball is the easiest and fastest ticket for national exposure. Very few peeps ever heard of Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola-Chicago, or MAryland-Baltimore COunty until they scored multiple upsets and runs in the NCAA tourney. The only reason FCS football has been getting the national exposure recently is because of NOrth Dakota State dominance and usually taking out FBS teams every year. Baseball is doable but more difficult. WT, ACU, Tarleton, etc. would be sent to Tech, TCU, OU, RIce, etc. to die a quick death in the regional playoffs..

Side Note: WT should restart their tennis program. They have teams and individual players in the panhandle (Amarillo High and Hereford) that produce state and individual champions. Coaches also have had mentions for state coaches of the year.
        We had a great tennis program when I was at WT. David Kent, who later coached the mother ship, was great. I took tennis from him as an elective. He offered a better grade if you came to the matches, so I went. I watched WT blow away USC and some other big name teams.

Comment

We still haven't fully recovered from the Carthel firing, and haven't won the LSC since the year he left, so how do you think we would do in D1? Tarleton was at least an excellent team their last 2 years in D2.

Basketball is another story, but I can't stand watching it.

A school doesn't move up or down based upon their win/loss record at some ball games. It is a business/financial decision by a university. In other words, you don't win a bunch in NAIA, then you get to move up to D2, then win a bunch there and move to FCS, and so on. That's not the way the system works. If it was, Mary Hardin Baylor would be in the Big 12 by now. They are non scholarship I believe and would probably smoke everyone in the Lone Star.

And the chosen division doesn't necessarily indicate how deep the school's pocket books are, either. If it did, Trinity of San Antonio, would be in the Big 10. They sport an endowment of probably three-four-five times the entirety of the LSC combined. Same for Johns Hopkins, MIT, and many other "dinky" private schools out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

A school doesn't move up or down based upon their win/loss record at some ball games. It is a business/financial decision by a university. In other words, you don't win a bunch in NAIA, then you get to move up to D2, then win a bunch there and move to FCS, and so on. That's not the way the system works. If it was, Mary Hardin Baylor would be in the Big 12 by now. They are non scholarship I believe and would probably smoke everyone in the Lone Star.

And the chosen division doesn't necessarily indicate how deep the school's pocket books are, either. If it did, Trinity of San Antonio, would be in the Big 10. They sport an endowment of probably three-four-five times the entirety of the LSC combined. Same for Johns Hopkins, MIT, and many other "dinky" private schools out there.
            No kidding. That was not what I was saying.

Comment

With all the bad weather going on, I forgot about this game. Tarleton lost a heart-breaker to McNeese.

https://tarletonsports.com/news/2021...-overtime.aspx

Comment

How come New Mexico State gets to play spring football? They are next to host Tarleton, but no fans are allowed.

Comment

How come New Mexico State gets to play spring football? They are next to host Tarleton, but no fans are allowed.
                  Heard that New Mexico State was going play spring home games at the sun bowl in El Paso.

Comment

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post

Heard that New Mexico State was going play spring home games at the sun bowl in El Paso.
                    Very interesting. No mention of where they are playing in the following article, but now they will play on Sunday.

https://tarletonsports.com/news/2021...s-allowed.aspx

Comment

Tarleton State got their first D1 win against perennial juggernaut New Mexico State, 43-17. Tarleton lead by as much as 38-2 in the third quarter.

The game WAS played at the Sun Bowl, where NMSU wisely allowed no fans to attend.

Did any LSC teams play?

Comment

Tarleton State got their first D1 win against perennial juggernaut New Mexico State, 43-17. Tarleton lead by as much as 38-2 in the third quarter.

The game WAS played at the Sun Bowl, where NMSU wisely allowed no fans to attend.

Did any LSC teams play?

Comment

New Mexico State is set to play Dixie State next.If they lose again.I would think that would be the first time a FBS school lose two in row games to d2 move ups.They may just cancel.Also they paid Tarleton $150k and rented the sun bowl for $10k...

Comment

Did any LSC teams play?
                            That apparently was the only thing the Aggies did right!

Comment

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post

New Mexico State is set to play Dixie State next.If they lose again.I would think that would be the first time a FBS school lose two in row games to d2 move ups.They may just cancel.Also they paid Tarleton $150k and rented the sun bowl for $10k...
                              Not only that, but those are their only 2 games scheduled. I went back and looked at their 2018 and 2019 W-L records. Not good!

Comment

Not only that, but those are their only 2 games scheduled. I went back and looked at their 2018 and 2019 W-L records. Not good!
                                Yeah, after you posted this I went and looked at those seasons also. They beat UTEP both years. Does this mean Tarleton would paste UTEP also? lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X