Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAMUK to get more competition for football players in South Texas

UTRGV has provided a letter of intent to start football in roughly 3 years. Along with UTSA this will be another football school in TAMUK's backyard. Does this put pressure on recruiting? Would a merger with TAMUCC help out the program?

Wouldn't be much competition. UTRGV would be FCS and Kingsville's glory days are way in the past. Not for a merger unless its under the TAMUCC flag which probably wouldnt happen.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
        Wouldn't be much competition. UTRGV would be FCS and Kingsville's glory days are way in the past. Not for a merger unless its under the TAMUCC flag which probably wouldnt happen.
        Not so sure if a merger happened that either city name would be retained. Much like UTRGV a regional name would most likely occur. That was in the original merger talks.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Not so sure if a merger happened that either city name would be retained. Much like UTRGV a regional name would most likely occur. That was in the original merger talks.
            Yea.... IF and that's still a big IF the merger occurs, it will certainly have a regional identity. Something like Texas A&M- Coastal Bend, Texas A&M- South Texas, South Texas A&M, Texas A&M of the Ranch and Sea.... Who knows? Texas A&M South Texas might have objections from the Laredo and San Antonio since both cities are in the South Texas region and they might not want to get over shadowed.

But if I had to bet on the process, Corpus will get more goodies this time vs the original proposal. Talant might have failed with not positioning the football program to be stable and solid ground, but he was far more a better advocate for the entire university vs the current occupant, IMO.

Comment

I really hope the fact we can't get squat from Daddy Warbucks is not retribution for the merger getting sidetracked. But dang when you see the football programs at Prairie View A&M, Tarleton, WTAM get new shinny toys and Commerce at least finding a way to refurbish theirs, then you have to wonder. Funny thing is in regards to merger being sidetracked, it was the Corpus Christi voices that were louder and when I say that, some of the community leader and not necessarily the school leadership. Kingsville had their voices rise up against it, but I think some saw a net benefit as a possiblity starting with new football infrastructure as a some honey to help some of the bitterness taste better.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                From the valley media sources, this looks like a contender with some modifications for the UTRGV program to use at the start. Javelina Stadium is going to compete against this to our south now and the Alamodome to are north..... Way to go TAMUK adminstration.... Way to fricken go. Even if they have to use one of the better high school stadiums until they get to their own built, the better ones down there still are light years better than Javelina Stadium. The high school stadiums listed are probably the top four as far as quality south of San Antonio too on top of being the larger ones down there too. I've been to three of them.

https://hebparkrgv.com/facility-info/

https://rgvsports.com/news/106871/utrgv-commits-to-exploring-addition-of-fcs-football-program/

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, I have read many pists where you refer to A&Ms "Daddy Warbucks"....but you apparently are not referring to their top financial supporter/donor (Monty Davis). And surely you are not referring to John Sharp, 707070707, right?? (I felt stupid even asking that). So, who ARE you referring to as "Daddy Warbucks"?

Again, pardon my ignorance.

Comment

Daddy Warbucks is Sharp

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

From the valley media sources, this looks like a contender with some modifications for the UTRGV program to use at the start. Javelina Stadium is going to compete against this to our south now and the Alamodome to are north..... Way to go TAMUK adminstration.... Way to fricken go. Even if they have to use one of the better high school stadiums until they get to their own built, the better ones down there still are light years better than Javelina Stadium. The high school stadiums listed are probably the top four as far as quality south of San Antonio too on top of being the larger ones down there too. I've been to three of them.

https://hebparkrgv.com/facility-info/

https://rgvsports.com/news/106871/utrgv-commits-to-exploring-addition-of-fcs-football-program/
                      Maybe they will come to a compromise and use Cotton Picker stadium in Robstown and adopt the Cotton Picker mascot. That will give the PC police something else to b*tch about. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

You are probably right. Corpus could use some exposure to up their game in sports other than the occasional tennis, volleyball, and women's basketball SLC championships and quick first round exits.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
                          Daddy Warbucks is Sharp
                          I prefer the Emporer, but to each his own. (He looks like Palpatine, IMO.)

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Yea.... IF and that's still a big IF the merger occurs, it will certainly have a regional identity. Something like Texas A&M- Coastal Bend, Texas A&M- South Texas, South Texas A&M, Texas A&M of the Ranch and Sea.... Who knows? Texas A&M South Texas might have objections from the Laredo and San Antonio since both cities are in the South Texas region and they might not want to get over shadowed.

But if I had to bet on the process, Corpus will get more goodies this time vs the original proposal. Talant might have failed with not positioning the football program to be stable and solid ground, but he was far more a better advocate for the entire university vs the current occupant, IMO.
                            Texas A&M of the Ranch and Sea. Hmmm.

TAMU-Surf 'n Turf?

We'll take two.
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 01-15-2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomgymrat View Post
                              Daddy Warbucks is Sharp
                              Ding, ding, ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. He is the one with the purse strings stamp of approval.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X