Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I really hope the fact we can't get squat from Daddy Warbucks is not retribution for the merger getting sidetracked. But dang when you see the football programs at Prairie View A&M, Tarleton, WTAM get new shinny toys and Commerce at least finding a way to refurbish theirs, then you have to wonder. Funny thing is in regards to merger being sidetracked, it was the Corpus Christi voices that were louder and when I say that, some of the community leader and not necessarily the school leadership. Kingsville had their voices rise up against it, but I think some saw a net benefit as a possiblity starting with new football infrastructure as a some honey to help some of the bitterness taste better.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Ding, ding, ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. He is the one with the purse strings stamp of approval.

Comment

Do you really think Sharp is the Wizard behind the curtain deliberately hurting TAMUK in order to get his plan through?
        Not completely. TAMUK leadership for the past of couple of decades also has to share in the blame. I just know him as a politician who does not like to be on the short end of the stick. He was a Conservative Blue Dog Democrat during his days in politics and he made sure those who crossed him had something to look out for. So, while this issue has been tabled it will not be dead until he is no longer there. To make matters worse he grew up near Victoria so he knows the politics well in South Texas. Definitely both schools on his radar.

Comment

Not completely. TAMUK leadership for the past of couple of decades also has to share in the blame. I just know him as a politician who does not like to be on the short end of the stick. He was a Conservative Blue Dog Democrat during his days in politics and he made sure those who crossed him had something to look out for. So, while this issue has been tabled it will not be dead until he is no longer there. To make matters worse he grew up near Victoria so he knows the politics well in South Texas. Definitely both schools on his radar.

Comment

Indeed Sharp is cut from the old school political world. You might be right
            Yes, he was the major stumbling block that tabled the merger. It is not dead, but it also also on the back burner until there are some behind the scenes activity started. My guess is its a wait and see approach as to how things go for each university moving forward. As it stands one appears to be a commuter school for sports and a city and the other appears to be an established school lacking resources or unable to tap into resources available.

Comment

Well.....In my opinion....the MONEY talks not the "politician". Listen to what the REAL "Daddy Warbucks" is saying, not the puppet whose strings he is pulling.

Just saying.

Comment

I have not posted in a while but it is very hard to get interested in the Javelina football program. The current President of the school, who was Sharp's appointed puppet has no interest at all in athletics, from what I have heard. The football program is his last concern. Tallant was great and he tried to push this merger through before he left. I do remember Lozano had some strong words against the merger but Corpus also did not want to take on the Javelina mascot, for me that is an absolute must. If that does not happen, then there is no point at all in the merger. I did read somewhere that the merger was still under consideration (this has been a slow, slow process). I used to travel back down to watch same games, no longer interested as I just watch the games online. It just sucks because this was a powerhouse program that has been turned to ****. I can't believe it is still a DII school after all the success it has had. They never took advantage of their success by trying to move up. Maybe someone needs to put up a billboard sign or something to embarrass them.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
                  I have not posted in a while but it is very hard to get interested in the Javelina football program. The current President of the school, who was Sharp's appointed puppet has no interest at all in athletics, from what I have heard. The football program is his last concern. Tallant was great and he tried to push this merger through before he left. I do remember Lozano had some strong words against the merger but Corpus also did not want to take on the Javelina mascot, for me that is an absolute must. If that does not happen, then there is no point at all in the merger. I did read somewhere that the merger was still under consideration (this has been a slow, slow process). I used to travel back down to watch same games, no longer interested as I just watch the games online. It just sucks because this was a powerhouse program that has been turned to ****. I can't believe it is still a DII school after all the success it has had. They never took advantage of their success by trying to move up. Maybe someone needs to put up a billboard sign or something to embarrass them.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Texas A&M of the Ranch and Sea. Hmmm.

TAMU-Surf 'n Turf?

We'll take two.
                    I prefer Texas A&M King Ranch Edition

Comment

There is an article on the Caller website about UTRGV getting D1 football and the first sentence of the article says TAMUK sees no impact on its program
                      That's interesting that they would report no impact on program. I would like to see who made these comments. It might go a long way into letting you if the football program is ever going to be a priority anytime soon.

Comment

That's interesting that they would report no impact on program. I would like to see who made these comments. It might go a long way into letting you if the football program is ever going to be a priority anytime soon.
                        They have had years to make it a priority. If this announcement of a D1 Team in the valley does not get immediate meetings started, I am not sure what will.

Comment

Why should Corpus take on the Javelina Mascot? Corpus is already Division I with 16 years of service in the Southland with NCAA appearances in basketball, volleyball, tennis, and a national champion in track. I know Corpus isnt the shining light in the southland but lets be real here. Kingsville is the one needing help and on life support. At the worst Corpus can go somewhere like the summitt league and still keep their sports in D1 without a football team. If Kingsville doesnt do something pretty quickly they will be left behind with the left over scraps in the LSC or having to join the GNAC if the LSC folds.

Would you guys be willing to support the Islander mascot? I doubt it. As much as I would hate it I would support a name merger with a new mascot. Definitely not a Javelina one and have made that known a long time ago with the athletic department when it comes to donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Why should Corpus take on the Javelina Mascot? Corpus is already Division I with 16 years of service in the Southland with NCAA appearances in basketball, volleyball, tennis, and a national champion in track. I know Corpus isnt the shining light in the southland but lets be real here. Kingsville is the one needing help and on life support. At the worst Corpus can go somewhere like the summitt league and still keep their sports in D1 without a football team. If Kingsville doesnt do something pretty quickly they will be left behind with the left over scraps in the LSC or having to join the GNAC if the LSC folds.

Would you guys be willing to support the Islander mascot? I doubt it. As much as I would hate it I would support a name merger with a new mascot. Definitely not a Javelina one and have made that known a long time ago with the athletic department when it comes to donations.
                            Zero chance I would support the Islander mascot. There is zero point in merging without the Javelina mascot coming along. To me and most people, Corpus should not even get a say so in the name of the mascot if a merger ever took place.

Comment

Zero chance I would support the Islander mascot. There is zero point in merging without the Javelina mascot coming along. To me and most people, Corpus should not even get a say so in the name of the mascot if a merger ever took place.
                              '
                              Feelings mutual zero chance of me and most islander alums supporting a javelina mascot. A new mascot for the combined schools is the way to go. That's laughable that Corpus shouldn't get a say in it. It would carry a little more clout of the Kingsville football program was doing anything significant. When was the last time they were on national TV? The last semi-final football game about 20 years ago? They got blown out by a school 70-14 in only their 5th year of existence. You said yourself the current school president doesn't care about athletics so why would Corpus bow down to that? When I was in College Station for the 1st round of the NCAA tennis tournament in 2019 the islanders athletic director was there and talked my ear off for his vision for all islander athletics to be competitive in all sports and what it will take to get there.

Bottom line sounds like Kingsville is playing chicken and counting on the LSC to remain intact with most of its members. If that mass exodus of LSC schools to the Southland happens then possibly prepare to make road trips to Plainview, Alpine, Belton, Brownwood, and/or Seguin if the LSC tries to recruit D3 schools to survive.

Not trying to be harsh with Kingsville posters personally just pointing out that there will have to be some give and take and Kingsville is in no position to call all the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                                '
                                Feelings mutual zero chance of me and most islander alums supporting a javelina mascot. A new mascot for the combined schools is the way to go. That's laughable that Corpus shouldn't get a say in it. It would carry a little more clout of the Kingsville football program was doing anything significant. When was the last time they were on national TV? The last semi-final football game about 20 years ago? They got blown out by a school 70-14 in only their 5th year of existence. You said yourself the current school president doesn't care about athletics so why would Corpus bow down to that? When I was in College Station for the 1st round of the NCAA tennis tournament in 2019 the islanders athletic director was there and talked my ear off for his vision for all islander athletics to be competitive in all sports and what it will take to get there.

Bottom line sounds like Kingsville is playing chicken and counting on the LSC to remain intact with most of its members. If that mass exodus of LSC schools to the Southland happens then possibly prepare to make road trips to Plainview, Alpine, Belton, Brownwood, and/or Seguin if the LSC tries to recruit D3 schools to survive.

Not trying to be harsh with Kingsville posters personally just pointing out that there will have to be some give and take and Kingsville is in no position to call all the shots.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X