Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexico starting to loosen the restrictions.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexico starting to loosen the restrictions.

We got good new over the past couple weeks of which I am happy for but aggravated at the same time. Schools return to in person learning on Feb 8th hybrid half enrollment each day can attend. Sports if cases to not start to significantly rise can begin on Feb 22.

Football will get a 5 game season, basketball will be 12. We will stretch the spring sports into mid June.

The infection rates etc are higher now than they were a year ago, higher than in August, and not much lower than they were at this winters peak. We could have and should have let kids into schools.

Hopefully this points to this fall things being back to a basic normal as in football in the fall, and basketball etc, at all levels in the state. The big universities have been allowed to return to the state to practice.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
    We got good new over the past couple weeks of which I am happy for but aggravated at the same time. Schools return to in person learning on Feb 8th hybrid half enrollment each day can attend. Sports if cases to not start to significantly rise can begin on Feb 22.

Football will get a 5 game season, basketball will be 12. We will stretch the spring sports into mid June.

The infection rates etc are higher now than they were a year ago, higher than in August, and not much lower than they were at this winters peak. We could have and should have let kids into schools.

Hopefully this points to this fall things being back to a basic normal as in football in the fall, and basketball etc, at all levels in the state. The big universities have been allowed to return to the state to practice.
    I think the thought process is especially by fall that most peeps will have the vaccine by then and herd immunity will be underway unless one of these mutant strains gets around it.

It was interesting seeing this topic today. I took my step daughter who is in 4th grade to see a friend of hers she hasnt seen in a year who is visiting Houston. My daughter has been in school the whole time and her friend has been locked down the whole time. They were both bubbly outgoing little girls before this and her friend is now super quiet, awkward, and standoffish. It was hard to explain to my daughter why she was like that. Experiencing first hand what the virus is doing both physically and mentally is heartbreaking.

Glad New Mexico and places as a whole are starting to open up and hopefully get back to 100% normal soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I think the thought process is especially by fall that most peeps will have the vaccine by then and herd immunity will be underway unless one of these mutant strains gets around it.

It was interesting seeing this topic today. I took my step daughter who is in 4th grade to see a friend of hers she hasnt seen in a year who is visiting Houston. My daughter has been in school the whole time and her friend has been locked down the whole time. They were both bubbly outgoing little girls before this and her friend is now super quiet, awkward, and standoffish. It was hard to explain to my daughter why she was like that. Experiencing first hand what the virus is doing both physically and mentally is heartbreaking.

Glad New Mexico and places as a whole are starting to open up and hopefully get back to 100% normal soon.
      When you say "experiencing first hand", are you a COVID-19 survivor?

I am certain "100% normal", as in pre SARS-CoV-2, will never happen. We will have a NEW normal.

Comment

Huh, interesting timing. [/Sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I am certain "100% normal", as in pre SARS-CoV-2, will never happen. We will have a NEW normal.
          No sir not that I am aware of. Dad has had it and several family members, co-workers, and classmates. 3 classmates have died from it. Friend is on oxygen 3 months later. I hope I get that shot. I know I cant dodge it forever.

Comment

Yes I am, along with several people I know. I'm also in the classroom now and can see the REAL damage this is doing to kids in not being able to socialize and go to school.

This is not even the worst pandemic we have ever had, we got right on to normal after Polio, smallpox, multiple major flu outbreaks, we will get back to it in a few months after the political advantage wears off. Texas and other states that were more lax are not collapsing, that is evident, the other states like NM are nearly in unison suddenly "safer" with higher numbers post Jan 20th...I WONDER WHY.....

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Yes I am, along with several people I know. I'm also in the classroom now and can see the REAL damage this is doing to kids in not being able to socialize and go to school.

This is not even the worst pandemic we have ever had, we got right on to normal after Polio, smallpox, multiple major flu outbreaks, we will get back to it in a few months after the political advantage wears off. Texas and other states that were more lax are not collapsing, that is evident, the other states like NM are nearly in unison suddenly "safer" with higher numbers post Jan 20th...I WONDER WHY.....
              I was asking B/I Alum, but thanks for responding.

Personally, I wish EVERYONE would leave the freaking politics, and unsubstantiated opinions out of this. SARS-CoV-2 could care less.

I am a survivor, double dose vaccine recipient, and Tier 1A health care worker.

Based on common virology knowledge, we would of had this virus snuffed out by Summer 2020 IF EVERYONE would have simply followed proper protocols. But they didn't and we didn't hit peak until Jan 2021.

NOW, we are seeing a drastic decrease in cases (in most areas). FINALLY.
              Last edited by ASUPops; 01-30-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

No sir not that I am aware of. Dad has had it and several family members, co-workers, and classmates. 3 classmates have died from it. Friend is on oxygen 3 months later. I hope I get that shot. I know I cant dodge it forever.
                This virus effects everyone.....directly or indirectly. You absolutely can "dodge" it. Just hang in there and follow proper protocols. Don't be ignorant and allow mental fatigue to get the best of you.

What this pandemic showed me, more than anything, was just how mentally weak our society has become. I thank GOD, more than ever, for the intense training provided me by the USMC & USN. INVALUABLE.

Comment

Personally, I wish EVERYONE would leave the freaking politics, and unsubstantiated opinions out of this. SARS-CoV-2 could care less.

Based on common virology knowledge, we would of had this virus snuffed out by Summer 2020 IF EVERYONE would have simply followed proper protocols. But they didn't and we didn't hit peak until Jan 2021.

nm.

I started this thread to discuss the opening of NM to sports and kids back in school. I'm NOT getting drawn into a discussion again on the disastrous response to this virus on our children.

I'm glad kids get to return, I'm glad they get to play.

I hope the damage is not so much that they cannot over come it.
                  Last edited by Boohaha; 01-31-2021, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Pops, I have a couple of questions since you are the closest thing I get to a Covid 19 expert. Forbes is reporting that the vaccine could wear off in 90 days most cases you are down to 10% of antibodies in 5 months. If this is the case, will you have to be getting 2-3 vaccines a year until this passes? And do you believe what Forbes is reporting? Now, we have new strains coming into our country from Brazil, UK, and South Africa and many here warn another spike will occur in May as these new strains are more resistant to the vaccine(Health Experts). Has the vaccine became obsolete before it has even got started?

Covid doesn't care about politics but that doesn't mean our politicians haven't turned it into political football. Biden proclaimed himself to be Superman and he was going to destroy Covid. I hope he does but I think he's more akin to senility than reality.

Finally, as someone who has training in Psychology. Islander touched on something that I have not even thought of. We called it the Michael Jackson effect. This occurs when children grow up with adults the majority of the time with little interaction from other children. What happens is the children are not allowed to be children but must act like adults in the presence of adults. It is very psychologically damaging when these kids become adults. They have all types of social disorders. As though there is not enough dysfunction in our society today.

I agree with Boohaha also. The numbers are worse today and yet I see things open and people moving about as though Covid doesn't exist. I have been living a very low key life since this crap started and continue to do so. All of my kids being grown makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Pops, I have a couple of questions since you are the closest thing I get to a Covid 19 expert. Forbes is reporting that the vaccine could wear off in 90 days most cases you are down to 10% of antibodies in 5 months. If this is the case, will you have to be getting 2-3 vaccines a year until this passes? And do you believe what Forbes is reporting? Now, we have new strains coming into our country from Brazil, UK, and South Africa and many here warn another spike will occur in May as these new strains are more resistant to the vaccine(Health Experts). Has the vaccine became obsolete before it has even got started?

Covid doesn't care about politics but that doesn't mean our politicians haven't turned it into political football. Biden proclaimed himself to be Superman and he was going to destroy Covid. I hope he does but I think he's more akin to senility than reality.

Finally, as someone who has training in Psychology. Islander touched on something that I have not even thought of. We called it the Michael Jackson effect. This occurs when children grow up with adults the majority of the time with little interaction from other children. What happens is the children are not allowed to be children but must act like adults in the presence of adults. It is very psychologically damaging when these kids become adults. They have all types of social disorders. As though there is not enough dysfunction in our society today.

I agree with Boohaha also. The numbers are worse today and yet I see things open and people moving about as though Covid doesn't exist. I have been living a very low key life since this crap started and continue to do so. All of my kids being grown makes a huge difference.
                      The mRNA technology used in the Pfizer vacciine should provide a minimum of 8-12 months of protection on the low end. I would venture to say we will need annual vaccines, but until we have more data available no one knows.

We will know the exact length of protection as time goes on and ongoing data is evaluated. Some believe it's 8 months, some 1 year, and others several years. We shall see.

Regarding other mutations, thus far the Pfizer vacciine has shown protective against the mutations you speak of. However, those studies have been small and others are ongoing. I know Pfizer is already working on a booster to address uncovered mutations.

As far as the "Michael Jackson Syndrome", ALL the kids in my neighborhood are STILL playing together, and have been....even during "lock down". So, comparing a child who is robbed of a childhood to kids that are still being kids during a pandemic is NOT apples to apples, therefore irrelevant. I think trying to compare the two is reckless.

As far as the politics.....I'll leave that to all of you to discuss.
                      Last edited by ASUPops; 01-31-2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Forgot this part. Um....you agree with Boohaha that the numbers are worse today and things are open and people are moviing about as though Covid doesn't exist?? Hahaha.

Hmmmm....probably WHY the numbers are worse....no? ;)

Comment

The mRNA technology used in the Pfizer vacciine should provide a minimum of 8-12 months of protection on the low end. I would venture to say we will need annual vaccines, but until we have more data available no one knows.

We will know the exact length of protection as time goes on and ongoing data is evaluated. Some believe it's 8 months, some 1 year, and others several years. We shall see.

Regarding other mutations, thus far the Pfizer vacciine has shown protective against the mutations you speak of. However, those studies have been small and others are ongoing. I know Pfizer is already working on a booster to address uncovered mutations.

As far as the "Michael Jackson Syndrome", ALL the kids in my neighborhood are STILL playing together, and have been....even during "lock down". So, comparing a child who is robbed of a childhood to kids that are still being kids during a pandemic is NOT apples to apples, therefore irrelevant. I think trying to compare the two is reckless.

As far as the politics.....I'll leave that to all of you to discuss.
                          Pop,
                          wife and I are receiving our 2nd Moderna vaccine Wed. What is your take on Moderna compared to Pfizer? As vaccines become more widely available, including J&J, should/can you piggy-back Pfizer or Johnson brand on top of Moderna?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Pop,
                            wife and I are receiving our 2nd Moderna vaccine Wed. What is your take on Moderna compared to Pfizer? As vaccines become more widely available, including J&J, should/can you piggy-back Pfizer or Johnson brand on top of Moderna?
                            Hey Chip....

First and foremost, how are you coming along on recovery??

To answer your question, Pfizer & Moderna are using the same technology mRNA. It is the best modern technology, in my opinion, to deliver vacciines.

J&J and a host of others are using old technology that uses actual virus, albeit inactive, as the delivery system. Which has a much lower efficacy. BUT still highly effective.

The next question....can you "piggy-back" vaccines. Well....Pfizer has a 95.1% efficacy with a much larger study, over 700k participants (in Isreal), showing a 99.4 efficacy. Not sure why anyone would have the need to add anything further. Understanding vaccines, especially, the mRNA techology, not only does it create antibodies to fight future infection, but it stores the information "in memory", so should the virus enter at a much later time, it will produce the necessary antibodies to quickly defeat the virus. Hence why many in science believe that the mRNA vaccines may offer much longer protection (2 yrs +).

Right now, there are no absolutes because we are only one year into this virus. The mRNA vacciines could be protective for years.....but it will take years to know for sure, right? It could need boosters annually. But until we get a year out from larger scale immunization, we won't know.

Tech alluded to a Forbes article he claims said the vaccine is ineffective after 3 months. LOL. I read that article and that is NOT what it said. That was Tech's "sky is falling" perception of what it said. In the article it mentioned a 34 person limited, uncontrolled study that showed after 3 months recipients of Moderna STILL had antibodies....and two of the 34 who were over age 55 showed a decrease of up to 50% of antibodies in 3 months. Ummmm....so? LOL. No one in science would EVER take ths "study" serious. It would be taken with a grain of salt. 2nd it has no merit. And lets say for argument sake it's 100% factual & accurate. So what? You give Seniors a booster shot. LMAO. The sky IS NOT falling. 707070707

Here is said article.....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...-we-hoped/amp/

Notice the title "The Moderna Vaccnes Antibodies May Not Last As Long As Hoped"

Lots of "media" outlets latched on to this 34 person limited, uncontrolled "study" to grab HITS. 7070707 Modern day media...mo hits, mo money.

So, to conclude Chip....only believe what you read on County, State, and Federal Health Official sites. Take anythiing else with a grain of salt.

The vaccine you aree getting is AWESOME and will add a much needed layer of protection. You STILL need to follow standard protocols ...social distancing, masks, hand washing.

Best of luck!! Stay safe, stay healthy.

Comment

Hey Chip....

First and foremost, how are you coming along on recovery??

To answer your question, Pfizer & Moderna are using the same technology mRNA. It is the best modern technology, in my opinion, to deliver vacciines.

J&J and a host of others are using old technology that uses actual virus, albeit inactive, as the delivery system. Which has a much lower efficacy. BUT still highly effective.

The next question....can you "piggy-back" vaccines. Well....Pfizer has a 95.1% efficacy with a much larger study, over 700k participants (in Isreal), showing a 99.4 efficacy. Not sure why anyone would have the need to add anything further. Understanding vaccines, especially, the mRNA techology, not only does it create antibodies to fight future infection, but it stores the information "in memory", so should the virus enter at a much later time, it will produce the necessary antibodies to quickly defeat the virus. Hence why many in science believe that the mRNA vaccines may offer much longer protection (2 yrs +).

Right now, there are no absolutes because we are only one year into this virus. The mRNA vacciines could be protective for years.....but it will take years to know for sure, right? It could need boosters annually. But until we get a year out from larger scale immunization, we won't know.

Tech alluded to a Forbes article he claims said the vaccine is ineffective after 3 months. LOL. I read that article and that is NOT what it said. That was Tech's "sky is falling" perception of what it said. In the article it mentioned a 34 person limited, uncontrolled study that showed after 3 months recipients of Moderna STILL had antibodies....and two of the 34 who were over age 55 showed a decrease of up to 50% of antibodies in 3 months. Ummmm....so? LOL. No one in science would EVER take ths "study" serious. It would be taken with a grain of salt. 2nd it has no merit. And lets say for argument sake it's 100% factual & accurate. So what? You give Seniors a booster shot. LMAO. The sky IS NOT falling. 707070707

Here is said article.....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...-we-hoped/amp/

Notice the title "The Moderna Vaccnes Antibodies May Not Last As Long As Hoped"

Lots of "media" outlets latched on to this 34 person limited, uncontrolled "study" to grab HITS. 7070707 Modern day media...mo hits, mo money.

So, to conclude Chip....only believe what you read on County, State, and Federal Health Official sites. Take anythiing else with a grain of salt.

The vaccine you aree getting is AWESOME and will add a much needed layer of protection. You STILL need to follow standard protocols ...social distancing, masks, hand washing.

Best of luck!! Stay safe, stay healthy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X