Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
    Do the Greyhounds go back to a pass-dominant offense again?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...erd-tye-hiatt/
    Stupid move.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post

Stupid move.
      agreed!! smh

Comment

Not being a douche here but did ENMU have a ton of FCS caliber coaches lining up to take this job? The hire seems to have a good college offensive background. I know the odds are he will probably scrap the wishbone for a more pass oriented offense but sometimes change can be good. Beggars really cant be choosers if ENMU hasnt played football in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
          Not being a douche here but did ENMU have a ton of FCS caliber coaches lining up to take this job? The hire seems to have a good college offensive background. I know the odds are he will probably scrap the wishbone for a more pass oriented offense but sometimes change can be good. Beggars really cant be choosers if ENMU hasnt played football in two years.
          FWIW, from the article

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

FWIW, from the article
            Ian Shields would have made sense. I remember Lenoir-Rhyne using the triple option offense.

Comment

It's interesting that Jared May, former WT and Commerce assistant coach, who is now at SFA applied for the job. I think an assistant in D1 would pay a lot more than a head coach at ENMU.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                It is for that reason that I think it is a stupid move. When it comes to recruits ENMU cannot compete for many of the same recruits in the conference footprint that WT, Commerce, Midwestern, and even UTPB are going after. Add to that the types of athletes that NM produces it is near impossible to find the types of players needed to successfully run the spread here. Remember this was tried earlier and it ended disastrously.

By running the option offense ENMU was able to be successful using many homegrown players, kids like Wyatt Strand and Kamal Cass, numerous offensive lineman and running backs. The option allowed ENMU to use less sought after athletes due to their size, size of school, etc. and made it where they could focus their out of state recruiting on finding athletes for the defense. It controlled the clock.

More than that the ability to use and recruit "local" kids meant they had local support.

I do hope this guy is a magic maker, but past history says he will not be successful.

Western NM and Highlands have been spread teams for years and struggle.

If you look at the coaches who have done well at ENMU there is Don Carthel, then Bud Elliott, and those who followed Elliott's blueprint.

Comment

When your not a blue-blood, There are blueprints for winning in college football. You recruit and play to your strengths.
                  Wisconsin and Iowa win with big corn-fed linemen, power run game and by playing great defense. Same way Nebraska won in the 90ty's. Nebraska has gone away from it and look what has happened.
                  The service academies run the triple option.
                  Carthel had the blue print at WT. Run the air-raid and recruit the hell out of some transfers.
                  At ENMU your strengths are its cheap to go to school there. That's about it. Offer every in-state kid a 500 dollars scholarship, red-shirt and develop them in the weight room, sprinkle in some juco transfer defensive players, sell them on an offense no one else wants to run and win more than you lose. That's the ceiling at ENMU.

running a spread offense puts you in a recruiting pool with everyone else and you can't beat people on the kids you need to win. Elliott, Lynn and Lee knew this and that's why they had success. As an alum I hope this guys does well but I am not to optimistic.

Comment

Do the Greyhounds go back to a pass-dominant offense again?

https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...erd-tye-hiatt/
                    YIKES!

One would think does not have the personnel for that. Could be a couple of years to see success with such a change, no?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

YIKES!

One would think does not have the personnel for that. Could be a couple of years to see success with such a change, no?
                      Try probably never.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                        When your not a blue-blood, There are blueprints for winning in college football. You recruit and play to your strengths.
                        Wisconsin and Iowa win with big corn-fed linemen, power run game and by playing great defense. Same way Nebraska won in the 90ty's. Nebraska has gone away from it and look what has happened.
                        Carthel had the blue print at WT. Run the air-raid and recruit the hell out of some transfers.
                        At ENMU your strengths are its cheap to go to school there. That's about it. Offer every in-state kid a 500 dollars scholarship, red-shirt and develop them in the weight room, sprinkle in some juco transfer defensive players, sell them on an offense no one else wants to run and win more than you lose. That's the ceiling at ENMU.

running a spread offense puts you in a recruiting pool with everyone else and you can't beat people on the kids you need to win. Elliott, Lynn and Lee knew this and that's why they had success. As an alum I hope this guys does well but I am not to optimistic.
                        That's not a knock either, the program has produced alot of good HS coaches, and is overall a net positive for the town and the school.

I am a fan and talk alot during the season, that is the fun of it, but I know that baring a miracle season we are never winning a natty. Now conference championships? You bet, especially when you play to your strengths.

This move makes 0 sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post

Great points and observation.

Comment

https://goeasternathletics.com/news/...all-coach.aspx

Official announcement

I really hope this guy does well but he is from the PSAC, snd he's about to see what it's like coaching against NFL level talent on the regular.

Comment

The bevy of LSC DC's are sleeping easier tonight. They won't have to completely change/reorient/re-roster their defenses and pull out their hair one week every year. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                                https://goeasternathletics.com/news/...all-coach.aspx

Official announcement

I really hope this guy does well but he is from the PSAC, snd he's about to see what it's like coaching against NFL level talent on the regular.
                                Wut.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X