Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarleton Movin' on Up D1 Footbal

Tarleton's fabulous D1 season continues. Today they are playing a lowly D2 team, the Mississippi Choctaws. The Texans lead 24-0 early in the 2nd quarter. Next week the Texans have a rematch with fellow D1 newbie Dixie State.

Why is this relevant? So many LSC fans dream of their teams moving up. We can see what that's like by watching the Texans. Not only that, the feed is FREE, unlike the LSC teams.

https://tarletonsports.com/watch/?Live=1795&type=Live

The Choctaws took advantage of a short Texans punt, and scored a TD against the D1 giant. Bad idea. The Texans blocked the PAT and returned it for 2 points. So the Choctaws only netted 4 points on the TD. Tarleton then took the kickoff down to the 5 where they managed not to score for 3 plays, but did kick an FG. Texans lead 29-6.

Comment

Tarleton is having issues scoring TDs. In the second quarter they have had 3 first downs within the 10 and have come away with 6 points (plus a fumble). Apparently they had a similar issue last week. They still lead 29-6.

Comment

The Texans grab a 39-14 victory over the Choctaws! The beautiful day brought out a big jump in attendance, which was 1,948.

The Texans are now 2-2 in amazing D1 play.

Comment

Are they allowing the Purple poo poo into the games. I mean they all wear masks

Comment

No idea.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
              The Texans grab a 39-14 victory over the Choctaws! The beautiful day brought out a big jump in attendance, which was 1,948.

The Texans are now 2-2 in amazing D1 play.
              What is going on with their attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

What is going on with their attendance?
                The fans are probably in such awe of a fabulous D1 team they feel unworthy to attend.

Comment

C'mon guys lets not be daft here.

1) 2019 Tarleton averaged 9,000 fans a game.
                  2) Coronavirus hit.
                  3) Tarleton only allowing 50% capacity which would be 5,000 students.
                  4) Fans/Students may not be aware that football is being played in the spring.
                  5) Peeps may be still concerned and staying away from public events.

6) Most importantly - According to Tarleton's website most of the year has been a virtual learning environment so its going to be difficult to boost attendance if most of the students arent even on-campus.

Lets see how fall 2021 or all of 2022 goes before we pass judgement. It hasn't hurt ACU at all so far moving up.

Comment

Comment

Please reread my first post in the forum. I have nothing against Tarleton State. I actually watched their game yesterday.

As for attendance, D2 teams are doing better. UTPB is averaging over 3800 for 2 games, and MSU had 3,000 attend their game against Kingsville. WT had over 4000 for at least 2 games in the fall.

Meanwhile the veteran D1 team New Mexico State just defeated upstart Dixie State by 7, despite being behind 14-3. DS had tied up the game late in the 4th with a 75 yard bomb and 2 point conversion, but NMSU responded with another TD. So while NMSU had a total of zero fans for the season, they posted an above average record (for them) of 1-1.

ACU might be doing okay in other sports, but in football they stink. In their first year in D1 they padded their schedule with weak team, including McMurry (D3). SInce then they have had 1 season over .500. Last fall they were 1-5, sadly canceling their game with WT. In 2019 they were 5-7 including a win against Houston Baptist. Yawn.

Don't take this forum too seriously. Fans dreaming of large crowds and exciting opponents if their teams move up are going to be very disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                        Please reread my first post in the forum. I have nothing against Tarleton State. I actually watched their game yesterday.

As for attendance, D2 teams are doing better. UTPB is averaging over 3800 for 2 games, and MSU had 3,000 attend their game against Kingsville. WT had over 4000 for at least 2 games in the fall.

Meanwhile the veteran D1 team New Mexico State just defeated upstart Dixie State by 7, despite being behind 14-3. DS had tied up the game late in the 4th with a 75 yard bomb and 2 point conversion, but NMSU responded with another TD. So while NMSU had a total of zero fans for the season, they posted an above average record (for them) of 1-1.

ACU might be doing okay in other sports, but in football they stink. In their first year in D1 they padded their schedule with weak team, including McMurry (D3). SInce then they have had 1 season over .500. Last fall they were 1-5, sadly canceling their game with WT. In 2019 they were 5-7 including a win against Houston Baptist. Yawn.

Don't take this forum too seriously. Fans dreaming of large crowds and exciting opponents if their teams move up are going to be very disappointed.
                        Nah I don't take it seriously but I love a good debate ASUpops style sometimes.

In normal times Tarleton's attendance wouldn't drop 80% coming off having D2 national championship caliber football teams and then moving to D1. I think Tarleton to a degree got cocky after that New Mexico State win and got brought back to earth by Dixie. The rematch will be a better gauge.

This is where I like having the Football vs. mainly basketball discussion for D2 vs.FCS vs. FBS.

Very rarely will you have an FCS football school play a FBS football school that is televised on the major networks. Maybe ESPN 2 or one of the regional networks. Heck until recently the D2 and FCS football championship games were only televised as high as ESPN2. That being said most peeps would still rather watch North Texas play Troy State in the I dont give a chit bowl on ESPN if those two events are scheduled at the same time.

Obviously basketball there is no subdivision. ACU women got to play Baylor and ACU men got to play Kentucky on a national stage in NCAA March Madness. You make a deep enough run like Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola Chicago, etc. then you will definitely get the national exposure and recruits.

Yes ACU's football team sucks and WT's is mediocre even for D2 standards. I have said it on another thread WT's mens basketball team right now could compete for a conference championship in several of the D1 conferences right now. They would probably win the SWAC with an 18-0 record. Merrimack won their conference the first year in D1 and Bellarmine is challenging Liberty for their conference title the first year.

Simply put WT's road to national attention is going to be through basketball in the near term. I dont think they have the horses or quite frankly the coaching staff yet in Football to be able to be a serious contender for a while in FCS.

There was a time where I would prefer WT to stay D2 and a part of me still does but the writing is on the wall. Unless some of the Louisiana Southland schools drop down to D2 then another exodus of schools are going to jump to D1 with the 4 schools going to the WAC. Question is which 4 schools are going to do it and not get left behind? Could WT stand pat and get an RMAC or MIAA invite?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Nah I don't take it seriously but I love a good debate ASUpops style sometimes.

In normal times Tarleton's attendance wouldn't drop 80% coming off having D2 national championship caliber football teams and then moving to D1. I think Tarleton to a degree got cocky after that New Mexico State win and got brought back to earth by Dixie. The rematch will be a better gauge.

This is where I like having the Football vs. mainly basketball discussion for D2 vs.FCS vs. FBS.

Very rarely will you have an FCS football school play a FBS football school that is televised on the major networks. Maybe ESPN 2 or one of the regional networks. Heck until recently the D2 and FCS football championship games were only televised as high as ESPN2. That being said most peeps would still rather watch North Texas play Troy State in the I dont give a chit bowl on ESPN if those two events are scheduled at the same time.

Obviously basketball there is no subdivision. ACU women got to play Baylor and ACU men got to play Kentucky on a national stage in NCAA March Madness. You make a deep enough run like Florida Gulf Coast, Loyola Chicago, etc. then you will definitely get the national exposure and recruits.

Yes ACU's football team sucks and WT's is mediocre even for D2 standards. I have said it on another thread WT's mens basketball team right now could compete for a conference championship in several of the D1 conferences right now. They would probably win the SWAC with an 18-0 record. Merrimack won their conference the first year in D1 and Bellarmine is challenging Liberty for their conference title the first year.

Simply put WT's road to national attention is going to be through basketball in the near term. I dont think they have the horses or quite frankly the coaching staff yet in Football to be able to be a serious contender for a while in FCS.

There was a time where I would prefer WT to stay D2 and a part of me still does but the writing is on the wall. Unless some of the Louisiana Southland schools drop down to D2 then another exodus of schools are going to jump to D1 with the 4 schools going to the WAC. Question is which 4 schools are going to do it and not get left behind? Could WT stand pat and get an RMAC or MIAA invite?
                          Yes, I understand basketball would be the big draw in D1 for WT. However, I hate watching basketball. I do agree WT's football team would fall on its face in D1, but 8-3 in 2019 was better than mediocre and even the 2020 season showing wasn't bad. The 3 losses to the D1 Lumberjacks, Pittsburg State, and the split with Angelo State were understandable. PS always has a quality team. I believe WT would have defeated ACU if they had not conveniently canceled.

I remember WT being in D1 and playing boring football teams like Lamar and McNeese State in Canyon, while the basketball team played Louisville and other top notch teams. I wasn't wild about it then, though I did attend some basketball games in those days. Having WT go back to 2-9 seasons in football for the next 7 years doesn't interest me. Not only that, the softball team would have to start from scratch too - again. Football and softball are the only WT sports I keep up with.

I'm pretty sure most "peeps" don't like basketball all that much. Just ask these guys..

Click image for larger version

Name:	?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.socastsrm.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F697%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F04%2Fpeeps-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	568543

Comment

The much anticipated rematch of Tarleton and Dixie State takes place in Utah in about 6 minutes. I plan on watching. I think Dixie State will win again, after watching them against NMSU. The Aggies were out of shape, but much larger. One of their backs just ran out of gas on a long run, and was caught from behind. He had 165 yards for the game, so he's pretty good. The last part of the game was worth watching, check it out. There is no way WT or Angelo could beat NMSU, which has had 1 winning season in the last 10 years (7-6).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLIFbe5deU&t=6273s

Dixie State is very good with big plays, and Tarleton has trouble scoring from inside the 20 so I think the Texas will be outscored.

https://tarletonsports.com/watch/?Live=1802&type=Live

Comment

WT and Angelo couldn't beat them now. If they go FCS and increase the scholarship limit then the playing field evens out a bit.

Thanks for the reminder. I will have to check the score every now and then tonight.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X