Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southland exodus impact

What does the Southland Conference's exodus mean for other conferences? Do they try to poach other teams from D-I conferences, stand pat with six football members, or go after D-II schools?
    Go Bronchos!

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    What does the Southland Conference's exodus mean for other conferences? Do they try to poach other teams from D-I conferences, stand pat with six football members, or go after D-II schools?
    Currently and quietly they are pursuing TAMUC and West Fla. Southland Commissioner is not a strong leader and dead broke Louisiana schools are very much a deterrent for anyone!

Comment

My feeling is both. They possibly go after Prairie View A&M or others from the SWAC and get some of the upper tier LSC schools (Commerce, WT, UTPB).

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

My feeling is both. They possibly go after Prairie View A&M or others from the SWAC and get some of the upper tier LSC schools (Commerce, WT, UTPB).
        My only hope is that TAMU Commerce didn't join with the expectation of others joining the Southland.

Comment

Nope. This was solely a decision based on us. There's still other discussions going on, but whether or not they come to fruition wasn't part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
            Nope. This was solely a decision based on us. There's still other discussions going on, but whether or not they come to fruition wasn't part of it.

Comment

It's always going to be the next big thing...

UTSA was on cloud 9 leaving the Southland for their forever home in Conference USA. Now that UTSA cracked the Top 25 C-USA is inferior and they are now moving to the American Athletic Conference to fill in those departures. Some of their fan base is stoked because that conference is a "stepping stone" for a power 5 conference invite. LOL.

Comment

Since we are all speculating. I'll throw fuel on the TAMU-C fire.

Maybe they know something about the long term future of the LSC and don't want to be the last ones left before the lights get turned out?
                Maybe the overlords in the T&M system are pushing this on them?
                Maybe they truly want to expand their reach and offer more student athletes a chance to compete at a higher level?
                Maybe they (as Herb says) have another destination planned after the SC?

The truth is they have made the move. That's all we know for sure.
                Hopefully they set it up in recruiting, facilities, and coaching across the board.
                Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

That is downright silly to call UTPB an upper tier LSC school. They beat three cream puffs and then get their butts whooped last weekend. What I saw last weekend was the same old bunch of fat linemen and mediocre skill players they have been putting on the field for years. If they played WT 50 times, WT would win 49.

Comment

Speaking of moving up- what does UCO plan to do? Or are the D2 Oklahoma teams actually going to be forced into one conference? I would think that would be unlikely.

Comment

I actually think you make some valid points. Commerce probably did reach out to the WAC to see if there was any interest. It seems that ship has sailed as far as D2 move ups which left only the Southland as an option.

So, my guess is that TAMUC will not be happy for very long if the SC is the same now when they clear transition.
                      Last edited by Techster88; 10-19-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nobody special View Post
                        Since we are all speculating. I'll throw fuel on the TAMU-C fire.

Maybe they know something about the long term future of the LSC and don't want to be the last ones left before the lights get turned out?
                        Maybe the overlords in the T&M system are pushing this on them?
                        Maybe they truly want to expand their reach and offer more student athletes a chance to compete at a higher level?
                        Maybe they (as Herb says) have another destination planned after the SC?

The truth is they have made the move. That's all we know for sure.
                        Hopefully they set it up in recruiting, facilities, and coaching across the board.
                        Time will tell.
                        Last edited by LSC Fan; 10-19-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Speaking of moving up- what does UCO plan to do? Or are the D2 Oklahoma teams actually going to be forced into one conference? I would think that would be unlikely.
                          I don't really know. The new(ish) president is very budget consious. I doubt UCO would move up but I don't really know. If I had to bet my next check on where UCO would be in five or ten years I would say MIAA. (This is assuming college sports as we know it is around in any form.) If any non D-I team from Oklahoma move up it would be Oklahoma City University, they are NAIA now, but were the standard bearer for the state in basketball for years and made several NCAA Tournaments.

The state legislature or governor really couldn't care less about where any college has their sports. They are more concerned about the OSSAA than anything. OU and OSU aren't tied at the hip. Why would any of the state schools be?
                          Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I actually think you make some valid points. Commerce probably did reach out to the WAC to see if there was any interest. It seems that ship has sailed as far as D2 move ups which left only the Southland as an option.

So, my guess is that TAMUC will not be happy for very long if the SC is the same now when they clear transition.
                            FYI - they use SLC

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

That is downright silly to call UTPB an upper tier LSC school. They beat three cream puffs and then get their butts whooped last weekend. What I saw last weekend was the same old bunch of fat linemen and mediocre skill players they have been putting on the field for years. If they played WT 50 times, WT would win 49.
                              Not so much their actual football team but their campus and facilities as a whole.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X