X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do D2 Coaches get Fired?

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
    Guy Morriss
    Did your administration really think he was going to have success at Commerce? Or was it sort of a Hail Mary type hire and if it worked... great. If not, roll the dice again? Kind of like Herm Edwards at Arizona State or heck, your new coach for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      Did your administration really think he was going to have success at Commerce? Or was it sort of a Hail Mary type hire and if it worked... great. If not, roll the dice again? Kind of like Herm Edwards at Arizona State or heck, your new coach for that matter.
      I think - at the time - that we had people making decisions for the athletic department that had no idea what they were doing and thought they were making a "splash" hire. By they I mean Carlton Cooper. He basically just wanted to use his D1 past to bring in D1 people because hey, D2 should be easy to win in, and they have to be better if they were in D1 right? I had concerns from go with Morriss but tried to ignore them thinking they wouldnt play out, but they did. A lot of people from the outside are concerned with the same thing with Bailiff, but having spent time with him, he and Morriss are nowhere remotely close to each other and I dont have concerns about Bailiff the way I did Morriss. I won't go into the details about Morriss because I actually thought he was a really nice man and was always good to me, but he and Bailiff are nothing alike in terms of why Morriss didn't succeed in Commerce.

Comment

I think - at the time - that we had people making decisions for the athletic department that had no idea what they were doing and thought they were making a "splash" hire. By they I mean Carlton Cooper. He basically just wanted to use his D1 past to bring in D1 people because hey, D2 should be easy to win in, and they have to be better if they were in D1 right? I had concerns from go with Morriss but tried to ignore them thinking they wouldnt play out, but they did. A lot of people from the outside are concerned with the same thing with Bailiff, but having spent time with him, he and Morriss are nowhere remotely close to each other and I dont have concerns about Bailiff the way I did Morriss. I won't go into the details about Morriss because I actually thought he was a really nice man and was always good to me, but he and Bailiff are nothing alike in terms of why Morriss didn't succeed in Commerce.
        I hope you are right about Bailiff for your sanity. Seriously I go back to that season he had at SWT with that transfer QB from the U of H where he ran down the clock with plenty of time to try to win the playoff game and go for OT and they ended up losing. That was SWT's best shot since 83 to go to national title game and I don't think despite two coaching changes since then on top of the new hire, they recovered from that meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
          Hughes will get a chance thru 2020, barring a total collapse this year, something like a 4 win season. My guess is if WT doesn't make the playoffs in 2020 Hughes might be out. Our AD is determined to see football succeed.
          Reruns of 6-5 season, WAITING for a miracle. Been there; done that.

Comment

Hmmmm. But yet another D1 coaching hire. Hopefully, this one WILL be a "splash" hire.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X