Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    I think WT will end up either 2nd or 3rd behind Commerce (depending on if we can beat Angelo). I'm sure we will have no trouble blowing out the 2 NAIA teams though. I think I will opt for reruns of Rawhide on those days.
    I think the opportunity is there to compete for the LSC, Commerce and ASU will be tough. It's put up or shut up year for Hughes in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post

I think the opportunity is there to compete for the LSC, Commerce and ASU will be tough. It's put up or shut up year for Hughes in my book.
      I would love to see Hughes win big, but I also think it would be hard to get rid of a coach that has a 9-2 record, even if the losses are to Commerce and Angelo. Hughes has considerably improved the team since the Nesbitt years.

Comment

I would love to see Hughes win big, but I also think it would be hard to get rid of a coach that has a 9-2 record, even if the losses are to Commerce and Angelo. Hughes has considerably improved the team since the Nesbitt years.
        I would think at some point WT needs to cash in some playoff appearances at the #6 or #7 slot until they are able to catch up to and beat Commerce. Unfortunately those NIAA turds aren't going to do any favors with SOS tiebreakers but may be the only way WT could get an 11 game schedule.

WT has 7 out of 11 games at home this year which includes all the top LSC contenders as well as Mines who was 10-0 in 2019. Anything less than 10-1 in my opinion (Loss to Commerce) is a regression and probably leaves WT out of the playoffs again.

Comment

I can agree to that for sure. However if they go 7-4 or 8-3 with that schedule, I think it's time to evaluate things. Even see if Hughes and co want to focus on a few more transfers to improve the roster etc.

Considering Nesbitt took a power into a laugher, Hughes has definitely improved things. Just think he may have to bend from his primarily HS recruits focus if it doesn't work this year

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I would think at some point WT needs to cash in some playoff appearances at the #6 or #7 slot until they are able to catch up to and beat Commerce. Unfortunately those NIAA turds aren't going to do any favors with SOS tiebreakers but may be the only way WT could get an 11 game schedule.

WT has 7 out of 11 games at home this year which includes all the top LSC contenders as well as Mines who was 10-0 in 2019. Anything less than 10-1 in my opinion (Loss to Commerce) is a regression and probably leaves WT out of the playoffs again.
            If WT wants to play games that don't count, they should schedule D1 teams. You can learn a lot from teams that are better than you are. Beating joke teams may be fun, but it doesn't help you improve.

Comment

Hopefully by September we will safely see some great football played in front of real fans. I for one, would love to hear the rear of a crowd in person.
              NCAA championship fan capacity limits and masking guidance to come from local health authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post

I can agree to that for sure. However if they go 7-4 or 8-3 with that schedule, I think it's time to evaluate things. Even see if Hughes and co want to focus on a few more transfers to improve the roster etc.

Considering Nesbitt took a power into a laugher, Hughes has definitely improved things. Just think he may have to bend from his primarily HS recruits focus if it doesn't work this year
                I would agree 7/8 wins would require the AD to say "one more year" and no less than 9 wins and an NCAA appearance or that's it. The proverbial "hot seat." WT invests too much to accept less.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I would agree 7/8 wins would require the AD to say "one more year" and no less than 9 wins and an NCAA appearance or that's it. The proverbial "hot seat." WT invests too much to accept less.
                  I guess Hughes saving grace for "one more year" would be coming off a COVID year. Lets face it the LSC is going to be a weaker conference that it has been the last several years especially with Tarleton's departure and going back further ACU's departure. Midwestern isn't the power they used to be. Angelo has improved and UTPB much improved but not playoff level improved in my opinion. It's Commerce and the rest fighting for a playoff spot.

Taking away 2 wins against the NAIA teams on the schedule that don't count for anything they need to go 8-1 or possibly 7-2 overall (only losses to Mines and Commerce) to make the playoffs. I think the key game for WT will be the Angelo State game since I don't see more than 2 LSC teams getting into the playoffs.

If WT loses that first conference game of the year against UTPB then Hughes will be in a lot of trouble from the start in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I guess Hughes saving grace for "one more year" would be coming off a COVID year. Lets face it the LSC is going to be a weaker conference that it has been the last several years especially with Tarleton's departure and going back further ACU's departure. Midwestern isn't the power they used to be. Angelo has improved and UTPB much improved but not playoff level improved in my opinion. It's Commerce and the rest fighting for a playoff spot.

Taking away 2 wins against the NAIA teams on the schedule that don't count for anything they need to go 8-1 or possibly 7-2 overall (only losses to Mines and Commerce) to make the playoffs. I think the key game for WT will be the Angelo State game since I don't see more than 2 LSC teams getting into the playoffs.

If WT loses that first conference game of the year against UTPB then Hughes will be in a lot of trouble from the start in my opinion.
                    Good analysis.

Comment

If WT wants to play games that don't count, they should schedule D1 teams. You can learn a lot from teams that are better than you are. Beating joke teams may be fun, but it doesn't help you improve.
                      Let's face it. Hughes is trying to keep his job. He will have 2 maybe 3 DII losses and beat the nobodies, his overall record will protect his job.

Comment

As far as Angelo. I believe many will be surprised. EVERYONE is staying quiet.

Angelo's talent is in the trenches.....NO DOUBT. And their defense.....TOUGH, fast, nasty, hard hitting.

But, when you watch your game vs the Rams, just watch the trenches because that's where the battle will be won or lost..

If "The Beast" plays this season, it's gonna be a show.

if Angelo plays to their potential, they can, without a doubt,, win the LSC this year. If not, they could finish within the top 4.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Let's face it. Hughes is trying to keep his job. He will have 2 maybe 3 DII losses and beat the nobodies, his overall record will protect his job.
                          Nesbitt did that too. His winning record was due to McMurry, WNMU, Kingsville when they were really bad, OPSU, etc. He's doing very well in the NAIA though. We could just drop down to that level and hire him back for the 3rd time! I think that's probably more likely than WT going D1 under the current administration.

Comment

I mean, IF WT has everything fall into place AND the stars align, they could be 10-1.

I won't make that bet.

Comment

I mean, IF WT has everything fall into place AND the stars align, they could be 10-1.

I won't make that bet.
                              You can say the same about Commerce. The first 3 games are a challenge.

Comment

Maybe not. Our AD is no fool. He wants to win championships. Not be sniffing some other dog's ass. Beating a couple record boosters won't send him to the moon. A WT coach with a great overall record was recently (very gently) nudged out the door to a different job. That coach was having a problem getting out of region the past 3 or 4 years. The program couldn't win the big one against an LSC rival.

No, 8-3 won't cut it if WT is 6-3 against D2 competition and misses the playoffs. As I said 5 years ago, this is the year of reckoning. IMO nothing less than 9-2, 7-2 D2, and an NCAA berth will cut the mustard.
                                Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-21-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X