Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Maybe not. Our AD is no fool. He wants to win championships. Not be sniffing some other dog's ass. Beating a couple record boosters won't send him to the moon. A WT coach with a great overall record was recently (very gently) nudged out the door to a different job. That coach was having a problem getting out of region the past 3 or 4 years. The program couldn't win the big one against an LSC rival.

No, 8-3 won't cut it if WT is 6-3 against D2 competition and misses the playoffs. As I said 5 years ago, this is the year of reckoning. IMO nothing less than 9-2, 7-2 D2, and an NCAA berth will cut the mustard.
    What about 9-2, NO playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

You can say the same about Commerce. The first 3 games are a challenge.
      With all the NC talk, the Lions should have an undefeated season.

2 of 3 should be good games (Pueblo & West Florida). MSU Texas should be a cake walk. Your only other tough game will be Angelo State.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n580212]

What about 9-2, NO playoffs?[/QUOTE

You can toss out the 2 NAIA games. They mean zilch to anybody but the unsophisticated and ill-informed casual WT football fan.

So, if WT goes 7-2 D2 and misses the playoffs again, and you're AD McBroom, what do you do? Knowing that WT is hungry for success, is anxious to return to a place in the echelon of national Top 10, has invested ample resources to make that happen, and yet again if those aspirations slip away, is Hughes on firm ground?

I know what I would do. What would you do Pop if you're the WT AD?

Comment

From the outside looking in, I think this season is going to be really tough to assess. With the glut of grown men sticking around for a 5th or sometimes 6th year of school, I imagine this year's success nationwide will hinge on who has the most 23-24 year old talent. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems logical that coaches who got the best guys to stick around and transfer in will have a leg up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

What about 9-2, NO playoffs?
            Here's the thing. WT's only road games are UTPB, Western Oregon, ENMU, and Kingsville. The rest of the games are in Canyon.

Simply put if WT can't sweep that road schedule and only lose to Commerce at home then it sure as hell isn't going to happen next year if the script flips and Commerce, Angelo, Midwestern, etc. are on the road.

If WT drops the second game of the year against UTPB its going to be virtually impossible to sweep the rest of the year to get to the playoffs.

If what is true with the AD and they are having the same thought process as us as far as a put up or shut up year this year, then a loss to UTPB will have them silently looking for an escape plan from Hughes and thinking about replacements.

9-2, no playoffs, no bueno. Not with 7 spots up for grabs.

Comment

Originally posted by nobody special View Post
              From the outside looking in, I think this season is going to be really tough to assess. With the glut of grown men sticking around for a 5th or sometimes 6th year of school, I imagine this year's success nationwide will hinge on who has the most 23-24 year old talent. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems logical that coaches who got the best guys to stick around and transfer in will have a leg up this season.
              At this level of the game, age has ZERO bearing. Experience helps of course. But a player being 23-24 does not make him the better athlete. In youth football 1 year can be a killer. Even in HS, the difference between 15 & 18 can be HUGE. But in DII, there has ways been the "older guy". In D1, once your eligibility clock starts, you have 5 years. In DII your eligibility clock can start & stop. For that reason, DII gets lots of guys, for various reasons, who can be much older than 22 in their final year.

True, however, that coaches who talked more key players into staying around after graduation may have "a leg up".

Comment

[QUOTE=BuffaloChip;n580281]

What about 9-2, NO playoffs?[/QUOTE

You can toss out the 2 NAIA games. They mean zilch to anybody but the unsophisticated and ill-informed casual WT football fan.

So, if WT goes 7-2 D2 and misses the playoffs again, and you're AD McBroom, what do you do? Knowing that WT is hungry for success, is anxious to return to a place in the echelon of national Top 10, has invested ample resources to make that happen, and yet again if those aspirations slip away, is Hughes on firm ground?

I know what I would do. What would you do Pop if you're the WT AD?
                Well, for me, a coach has 5 seasons to win the conference and be in the hunt for a NC....a top 10 team. Once he achieves that, he must stay in that arena.

With 2020 being a COVID year, i would give Hughes until the 2022 season. If not making a run for the natty by then,, SEE YA!

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n580420]

Well, for me, a coach has 5 seasons to win the conference and be in the hunt for a NC....a top 10 team. Once he achieves that, he must stay in that arena.

With 2020 being a COVID year, i would give Hughes until the 2022 season. If not making a run for the natty by then,, SEE YA!
                  I agree. You can take the 2020 results and throw them away.

Maybe Commerce will go to D1 and then we will only have to compete with Angelo.

Comment

[QUOTE=WT_TKW;n580421]

I agree. You can take the 2020 results and throw them away.

Maybe Commerce will go to D1 and then we will only have to compete with Angelo.
                    Maybe Angelo will too.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n580420]

Hmmm. I'm less likely to give a pass for the covid year.

However, if Hughes doesn't do it by 2022....at least be a top 2 LSC team and be playing the other top 2 team for the LSC championship, and make the playoffs, it will be time for the AD to let him walk.

Comment

Since I have some time on my hands with the kiddo out of school and me on vacation I decided to do some research. Based on 2019 data with the regional rankings and the 2021 current schedules.

For WT playoff perspective. They have Colorado School of Mines scheduled at home. They win that game then down the road if WT does suffer 2 conference losses then that game can be important if it comes down to WT and Mines ranked 7/8 in the final regional rankings for a tiebreaker. WT only having 9 D2 games there is no error to lose this one. What would also help WT is if Commerce beats Pueblo. Then that RMAC championship game (assuming) could be an elimination game. I have no clue about the NSIC other than Minnesota State is the power and Minnesota Duluth and Sioux Falls are usually the threats to be the other 2 teams in the playoffs.

Basically D2 records only:

WT goes 9-0: LSC Champs and remove all doubt.
                        WT goes 8-1: Playoffs and maybe a home game.
                        WT goes 7-2: Possible if only loss is to Commerce as well as or Mines/Angelo State. Loss to Mines (or any other team) makes the Angelo State game a must have.

It would be interesting if WT, Angelo, and Commerce all tied for the LSC championship with only 1 loss.

Comment

2 of 3 should be good games (Pueblo & West Florida). MSU Texas should be a cake walk. Your only other tough game will be Angelo State.
                          I agree with this

Comment

[QUOTE=BuffaloChip;n580453]
                            Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Maybe Angelo will too.
                            I am trying to read the situation. Did Dr May leave because BOR @ Tech did not want Angelo to become competition by moving up to D1?? Because Dr May was on fire building the sports programs, and his hunger for football success was MIGHTY.

Comment

[QUOTE=ASUPops;n580680]

I am trying to read the situation. Did Dr May leave because BOR @ Tech did not want Angelo to become competition by moving up to D1?? Because Dr May was on fire building the sports programs, and his hunger for football success was MIGHTY.
                              That's funny. Seriously doubt Tech gives a crap if Angelo goes D1. It would actually be to Tech's advantage to have another D1 in their system. Where is the invite coming from? SLC? Not where I would want my sports programs unless things change drastically. Even UIW is trying to bolt.

Comment

[QUOTE=Techster88;n580998]

That's funny. Seriously doubt Tech gives a crap if Angelo goes D1. It would actually be to Tech's advantage to have another D1 in their system. Where is the invite coming from? SLC? Not where I would want my sports programs unless things change drastically. Even UIW is trying to bolt.
                                nm

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X