Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
    I rewatched Hughes' interview after the Pittsburg State game. He seems like a really good guy, and he is a much better coach than Nesbitt. I would love to see him succeed.

Maybe this will be his year, but either way I'm not watching the NAIA games. Especially since I can watch D1 Powerhouse Tarleton mow down the exciting competition they will face in the fall. Teams like ACU, Dixie State, and New Mexico Highlands! WOW, I can hardly wait.

At least Tarleton's games are free online.
    Great post! Made me laugh out loud

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

North American is HOSTING Eastern New Mexico in Houston on Nov. 6 (Week 10). ENMU also plays Lincoln (Calif.) on Oct. 2 (Week 5). I'm convinced someone in Portales saw TCU schedule FCS Duquesne as the Frogs' home opener and told TCU, "Hold my beer and watch this" as far as cupcake city games go in college football.

Speaking of LU-California, not only do they show up on UTPB's schedule (Oct. 9/Week 6), but UFL makes is UTPB's opening week opponent.

I get that it's harder for LSC teams to find D2 opponents with the way the GNAC is contracting (Humboldt and Azusa Pacific gone) and with defections to FCS in recent years (Tarleton, Dixie State, ACU), but come on.
      An Assistant VP in Tarleton State's Development office, Cooper Jones, was recently hired by Humboldt as their new AD. Word is Humboldt is bringing football back and Jones was hired to see the program's revival.

http://now.humboldt.edu/news/cooper-...tional-sports/

Comment

Did Humboldt lease their football stadium to the local ISD for $1 per year for 99 years? Probably not, only idiots do stuff like that.

Comment

Scheduling home non-conference games has become a nightmare for some D-2 and FCS teams. It will take another year of stability and conference shake out to ease that situation... maybe. I fear post covid finances will squeeze more football budgets and travel/gurantees will make scheduling even more difficult. I am not sure this WAC deal is going to work out for the Lamar, ACU, Tarleton folks in terms of football unless they get more football schools from the region. They had to partner with another conference this year who will thump all three of those schools. Which no one will care about unless it is a LSC school and then the howling begins. Something has to change but what?

Comment

Originally posted by texas observer View Post
            Scheduling home non-conference games has become a nightmare for some D-2 and FCS teams. It will take another year of stability and conference shake out to ease that situation... maybe. I fear post covid finances will squeeze more football budgets and travel/gurantees will make scheduling even more difficult. I am not sure this WAC deal is going to work out for the Lamar, ACU, Tarleton folks in terms of football unless they get more football schools from the region. They had to partner with another conference this year who will thump all three of those schools. Which no one will care about unless it is a LSC school and then the howling begins. Something has to change but what?
            I think it will all work out once COVID gets neutralized for good. That is going to be a really good conference especially for sports other than football. My main concern is where the WAC is trying to hype up that they will be ready for FBS football by the late 2020s. That's a different ballgame trying to fund 85 full ride football scholarships.

Comment

Are LSC schools considering adding Football??
              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Sadly, college football is, has been,and will continue to be on a decline. CBS Sports reported in 2018 that college football hit its lowest average attendance in 22 years, while in 2017 it suffered its biggest average per-game decline in 34 years.

DII & FCS is even in worse shape than FBS.

Long gone are the ol days of College Football being "THE THING".

As a matter of fact, all team sports are on a DRASTIC decline at every level.

Sports was driven by a generation of society that held it in the highest regard. That generation is aging and dying. The younger generations do not regard sports in the same light. This has us older generations bewildered.

Today's 25 and under couldn't care less about team sports. Forbes reports an over 50% drop in participation in youth & HS sports. That is alarming, and explains the decline we are experiencing at college & pro levels.

The diehards will hold onto their beloved team sports with a death grip. But, even their hands are beginning to slip as they grow older by the day.

R.I.P. the glory days of college, high school, & youth sports. Thanks for the memories, fun times, and personal injuries.

Comment

TV has killed much of the student body interest in football at the non Power 5 level. Some cracks there as well. I remember when you wanted to watch college football you had one choice on ABC and an occasional double header. I remember when Kern Tipps and the Humble radio broadcast were the only link to many college games outside of in person attendance. But, it was not that long ago when the Buffalo Bowl was filled and over flowing for the Wagon Wheel Game and attendance at LSC games still has bright spots. I agree with Pops though. I still watch football at any level and will till they make us all domesticated animals.

Just a side note that is random but there is a helemet shortage because of disruption due to Covid and raw materiels disruption in supply chain. Overseas issues. Suppossed to get better in the comiing weeks.

Comment

One glaring thing I have noticed. In the 80s we couldn't wait to get outside and play in the mornings and had to be threatened with death to come in at dark in the evenings. Our neighborhood had a football field, basketball court, and baseball field all within a block of each other. It was filled every single day every summer. Now when I go back home and visit for a week those places rarely have kids there. Mostly adults in the evenings and weekends. In the fall we couldn't wait for saturdays and sundays to watch college and pro ball.

Most of my friends now with their kids and their way with their kids, etc. are more into playing video games 12 hours a day instead of being outside and playing sports or caring about watching sports. In fact most of my friends with kids seem to be this way now.

Just as an observation on my part to the decline in at least a small sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by texas observer View Post
                      But, it was not that long ago when the Buffalo Bowl was filled and over flowing for the Wagon Wheel Game and attendance at LSC games still has bright spots. I agree with Pops though.
                      Back then we had a great coach, cheerleaders, and an AD that promoted football. Now we have none of the above.

We also had radio and TV coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                        One glaring thing I have noticed. In the 80s we couldn't wait to get outside and play in the mornings and had to be threatened with death to come in at dark in the evenings. Our neighborhood had a football field, basketball court, and baseball field all within a block of each other. It was filled every single day every summer. Now when I go back home and visit for a week those places rarely have kids there. Mostly adults in the evenings and weekends. In the fall we couldn't wait for saturdays and sundays to watch college and pro ball.

Most of my friends now with their kids and their way with their kids, etc. are more into playing video games 12 hours a day instead of being outside and playing sports or caring about watching sports. In fact most of my friends with kids seem to be this way now.

Just as an observation on my part to the decline in at least a small sample size.
                        ABSOLUTELY correct!!!

In my opinion, electronics & so called "progress" have caused a setback in Mankind. In person socialization is almost a thing of the past. So sad to watch.
                        Last edited by ASUPops; 07-04-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Back then we had a great coach, cheerleaders, and an AD that promoted football. Now we have none of the above.

We also had radio and TV coverage.
                          Now, there you go again pointing out the obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

For some reason, the back of my mind can't get WT's 2nd game, at UTPB, out of my dwindling gray matter. "Trap game, trap game, trap game" says Deputy Fife in his high nasal pitch..
                              Hey dude UTBP was the LSC spring football champions. They even made themselves t-shirts to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

Hey dude UTBP was the LSC spring football champions. They even made themselves t-shirts to prove it.
                                It looks like they played one decent team.

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/schedule/2020

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X