Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

It looks like they played one decent team.

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
    Which one was that?

;)

Comment

Lindy's basically just took the final top 25 of 2019 and reshuffled it a bit. Tusculum, who won the SAC in the spring, and #25 Virginia Union, are the only two new teams. I would expect there to be some resemblance to 2019, but don't schools that played football at some point in the 20-21 year get a bump over the ones who didn't? Seems like you know more about your team and your depth headed into week 1 if you got at least 3 or 4 games in, or at least a few quality scrimmages.

Comment

It looks like they played one decent team.

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/football/schedule/2020
        It's a big turnaround from getting hammered in Silver City in 2019

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post
          Lindy's basically just took the final top 25 of 2019 and reshuffled it a bit. Tusculum, who won the SAC in the spring, and #25 Virginia Union, are the only two new teams. I would expect there to be some resemblance to 2019, but don't schools that played football at some point in the 20-21 year get a bump over the ones who didn't? Seems like you know more about your team and your depth headed into week 1 if you got at least 3 or 4 games in, or at least a few quality scrimmages.

Comment

TONS of news stories like this.....

For some a HUGE, HUGE impact. THOUSANDS of athletes will not get offered as they would have in 2019. And it won't end in '20.....

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101060105

https://amp.theledger.com/amp/7700815002

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/national-signing-day-2020-how-covid-19-changed-college-football-recruiting-likely-for-good/amp/

Between NCAA changes and the NIL rule,, recruiting, as we knew it will be forever changed.
            Last edited by ASUPops; 07-11-2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

TONS of news stories like this.....

For some a HUGE, HUGE impact. THOUSANDS of athletes will not get offered as they would have in 2019. And it won't end in '20.....

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101060105

https://amp.theledger.com/amp/7700815002

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/national-signing-day-2020-how-covid-19-changed-college-football-recruiting-likely-for-good/amp/

Between NCAA changes and the NIL rule,, recruiting, as we knew it will be forever changed.
              I like the new rule. I can only say as with everything else that on the surface looks like a good idea and what could possibly go wrong. Time will tell if this actually was a benefit to the players or another distraction for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I like the new rule. I can only say as with everything else that on the surface looks like a good idea and what could possibly go wrong. Time will tell if this actually was a benefit to the players or another distraction for trouble.
                Boosters offering NIL deals to high school prospects before they sign? Athletes signing deals with companies that promote gambling, among other prohibited activities? School logos being used to give the appearance the school is making an endorsement, when it isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I do not see the silver lining.

Comment

Boosters offering NIL deals to high school prospects before they sign? Athletes signing deals with companies that promote gambling, among other prohibited activities? School logos being used to give the appearance the school is making an endorsement, when it isn't?
                    We're expecting the D1 rules will become D2's as well.

With that in mind, a group of WT boosters met a couple days ago. We discussed putting a group together for just this purpose. A consortium of booster investors. The players we sign will be available to advertise for members of the consortium. We'll have a couple of big law firms, a few sports injury docs, several car dealerships, some local fast food restauranteurs, feedlot operators, local banks, insurance guys, roofers, etc, etc.

If we can get 25 boosters to pledge $10,000 per year, we can use $250,000 (less expenses) a year to pay certain WT recruits (oops) players. I pushed for 25 at $25,000, or a pool of $625,000. Now we're cookin!' Coach can be in charge of directing us toward whom we should offer contracts and for how much. It was met with great enthusiasm. One of the boosters indicated he'd pony up $50,000! He played ball for OU back in the 70's. He said, as he giggled, this reminded him of the "good ole days back in Norman!"

We see this being a great thing for WT football! We could become the OU of D2. That 2nd QB recruit at SFA or even the 3rd at TCU could become the #1 recruit at WT for $40,000 a year. Yeah, baby!!!

I know my company's budget's going to be stretched a bit when I add in funds for basketball, volleyball, and softball.

The possibilities are limited only by the bucks we're willing to pony up. And to think, many years I got sanctioned by the NCAA for buying a couple basketball players tickets to a $1 movie at the mall. (I wasn't thinking. Just being a nice guy for a couple college kids and somebody turned me in. If I'd have bumped into a couple non-athlete students I knew, I'd have bought their tickets).

We've come a long way Virginia! Whatever, this thing's got (buffalo) wings!
                    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 07-13-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

We're expecting the D1 rules will become D2's as well.

With that in mind, a group of WT boosters met a couple days ago. We discussed putting a group together for just this purpose. A consortium of booster investors. The players we sign will be available to advertise for members of the consortium. We'll have a couple of big law firms, a few sports injury docs, several car dealerships, some local fast food restauranteurs, feedlot operators, local banks, insurance guys, roofers, etc, etc.

If we can get 25 boosters to pledge $10,000 per year, we can use $250,000 (less expenses) a year to pay certain WT recruits (oops) players. I pushed for 25 at $25,000, or a pool of $625,000. Now we're cookin!' Coach can be in charge of directing us toward whom we should offer contracts and for how much. It was met with great enthusiasm. One of the boosters indicated he'd pony up $50,000! He played ball for OU back in the 70's. He said, as he giggled, this reminded him of the "good ole days back in Norman!"

We see this being a great thing for WT football! We could become the OU of D2. That 2nd QB recruit at SFA or even the 3rd at TCU could become the #1 recruit at WT for $40,000 a year. Yeah, baby!!!

I know my company's budget's going to be stretched a bit when I add in funds for basketball, volleyball, and softball.

The possibilities are limited only by the bucks we're willing to pony up. And to think, many years I got sanctioned by the NCAA for buying a couple basketball players tickets to a $1 movie at the mall. (I wasn't thinking. Just being a nice guy for a couple college kids and somebody turned me in.). We've come a long way Virginia! Whatever, this thing's got (buffalo) wings!
                      Imagine what would have happened if you had bought the players Ranger tickets!

Comment

Imagine what would have happened if you had bought the players Ranger tickets!
                        No kidding!

Comment

NIL just ruins yet another aspect of sports.

I am all for EVERY institution paying EVERY player a set amount across the board in D1 to play. Nothing crazy, just a share of the pie. Ok..I can be sold on that.

However, NIL is going to kill recruiting and bring a monopoly to the big boys. Watch and see!
                          Last edited by ASUPops; 07-13-2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

The possibilities are limited only by the bucks we're willing to pony up. And to think, many years I got sanctioned by the NCAA for buying a couple basketball players tickets to a $1 movie at the mall. (I wasn't thinking. Just being a nice guy for a couple college kids and somebody turned me in. If I'd have bumped into a couple non-athlete students I knew, I'd have bought their tickets).

We've come a long way Virginia! Whatever, this thing's got (buffalo) wings!
                            All three divisions ARE included in the NIL interim rule.

Other DII institutes' boosters have already begun! They started organizing when the NIL was just being discussed.

Comment

Yep, its not the water on the surface that you can see, its the under current that you can't see that always gets you. Let's see how this shakes out. Things are not always as they appear.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                                NIL just ruins yet another aspect of sports.

I am all for EVERY institution paying EVERY player a set amount across the board in D1 to play. Nothing crazy, just a share of the pie. Ok..I can be sold on that.

However, NIL is going to kill recruiting and bring a monopoly to the big boys. Watch and see!
                                This is already going on in D1. SMU is probably thinking what a bunch of Hypocrites. Now, for FCS and down this could be like trying to keep up with the Jones. It could actually terminate a lot of smaller budget football programs. Great thinking Pops. I was only looking at it from the athlete's viewpoint.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X