Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Per the AD's office, the turf will be reinstalled this year and the massive Lion Logo will be replaced by regular turf. There will be a Logo at the 50 Yard line, but a much smaller one.

Also, construction has started on a 7,800 square foot addition to the current locker rooms in the North End Zone to complete the Football facility. (Side Facing the Highway. This should cover most of the highway and probably will add a visitor dressing room.

Excited, first home game is not until late September, and the building should be completed by Senior Day.

Re: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrad

Originally posted by TheLionWire View Post
    Per the AD's office, the turf will be reinstalled this year and the massive Lion Logo will be replaced by regular turf. There will be a Logo at the 50 Yard line, but a much smaller one.

Also, construction has started on a 7,800 square foot addition to the current locker rooms in the North End Zone to complete the Football facility. (Side Facing the Highway. This should cover most of the highway and probably will add a visitor dressing room.

Excited, first home game is not until late September, and the building should be completed by Senior Day.
    Hope so. The current V DR is the worst!!

Comment

Woohoo, glad they are getting rid of the giant lion head. Made watching games difficult!

Comment

I liked the lion head, but man it made it impossible to find flags when they were thrown

Comment

Another coat of lipstick instead or what we need.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
            Another coat of lipstick instead or what we need.
            https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...v1Sxwsy-Q.jpeg

Comment

Like What? I really am curious, because I do agree that we need a new press box on the west side and do something about the bathrooms on that side of the stadium as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                I liked the lion head, but man it made it impossible to find flags when they were thrown
                What flags?? :wink:

Comment

Like What? I really am curious, because I do agree that we need a new press box on the west side and do something about the bathrooms on that side of the stadium as well.
                  At some point it needs to dawn on the big shots around here that continuing to throw money at that stadium by slapping on new additions every year or 2 is a losing proposition. It's a 70 yr old facility with terrible stands, rest rooms, and very poor handicap access. If they do anything at all to it, it should be with an eye toward making it a top notch track and field facility and they should be tucking this money away for construction of a football only venue. Enough is enough with this stadium. If Bailiff manages to not screw up what Colby left him here, we should continue to be a premier d2 program. They need to start thinking like that will be the case for the foreseeable future and invest in excellence instead of propping up an outdated, inferior facility with quick fixes.

Comment

That's reserved for whatever has been done in past few years and what will probably be done with Javelina Stadium in light of the recent storm damage.
                    Last edited by LSC Fan; 06-08-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                      At some point it needs to dawn on the big shots around here that continuing to throw money at that stadium by slapping on new additions every year or 2 is a losing proposition. It's a 70 yr old facility with terrible stands, rest rooms, and very poor handicap access. If they do anything at all to it, it should be with an eye toward making it a top notch track and field facility and they should be tucking this money away for construction of a football only venue. Enough is enough with this stadium. If Bailiff manages to not screw up what Colby left him here, we should continue to be a premier d2 program. They need to start thinking like that will be the case for the foreseeable future and invest in excellence instead of propping up an outdated, inferior facility with quick fixes.
                      I 'd really like to know from the WTAM and Tarleton folks on here if they care to chime in is how they got the ball rolling on their new facilities? Did they have to raise student fees and pay for it all on a local level? Or did the BOR allow each school to use some of the creative funding things like some schools have used to circumvent the ban on state funding being used to get some of the facility work done like calling their basketball facility/arena a health center and use it for classrooms and student activities when not used by the athletic department. I think some of the football field houses have been granted the same status if they have classroom and administrative space in them? Or has it been a combo of both student fees and BOR allocated funds with some private fundraising mixed in?

TAMUK is the exact same boat and if the BOR is funding some of this stuff straight from A&M system money, we need to find a way to force ourselves to the front of the line. That pic I posted with the storm damage is the same stand where during a high school football playoff game a few years back, a fan fell through bleachers a few rows up. I was there sitting on the other side that evening and it was quite a scene. Luckily the fan only had minor injuries, but he and others were lucky they were not sitting higher.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        I 'd really like to know from the WTAM and Tarleton folks on here if they care to chime in is how they got the ball rolling on their new facilities? Did they have to raise student fees and pay for it all on a local level? Or did the BOR allow each school to use some of the creative funding things like some schools have used to circumvent the ban on state funding being used to get some of the facility work done like calling their basketball facility/arena a health center and use it for classrooms and student activities when not used by the athletic department. I think some of the football field houses have been granted the same status if they have classroom and administrative space in them? Or has it been a combo of both student fees and BOR allocated funds with some private fundraising mixed in?

TAMUK is the exact same boat and if the BOR is funding some of this stuff straight from A&M system money, we need to find a way to force ourselves to the front of the line. That pic I posted with the storm damage is the same stand where during a high school football playoff game a few years back, a fan fell through bleachers a few rows up. I was there sitting on the other side that evening and it was quite a scene. Luckily the fan only had minor injuries, but he and others were lucky they were not sitting higher.
                        The majority of funding at WT came from a fee increase that the students voted on and approved a few years back. I dont know what Tarleton did for the funding.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I think SISD kicked in some and Tarleton used some state bond money that has to be repaid from athletics funds.
                          Last edited by AngeloFan; 06-08-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

If I remember correctly, about $30M at WT came from students voting for a fee increase to pay for a bond issue. About another $10M will be paid for by revenue mostly from the sale of stadium based/athletic department advertising, luxury boxes, ticket revenue, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              If I remember correctly, about $30M at WT came from students voting for a fee increase to pay for a bond issue. About another $10M will be paid for by revenue mostly from the sale of stadium based/athletic department advertising, luxury boxes, ticket revenue, etc.
                              Stadium Cost: $38,800,000
                              Student Athletic Fee Increase: -$32,500,000
                              Revenue Financing System Debt Proceeds and Interest Income: -$6,300,000

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X