Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas. Oklahoma seek SEC Membership

https://www.si.com/college/2021/07/2...-conference-go

This has been all the buzz in Southeast Texas the last two days. Houston Chronicle has stated that Texas will be announced as a new SEC member in the next few weeks. If this occurs there will definitely be a shakeup at the P5 level.

I have my doubts that it's going to happen. A&M is going to lobby like crazy to make sure that UT doesn't get in, especially given the historic precedents where Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina have practically blocked Florida State/Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Clemson respectively from being considered for SEC membership. And don't underestimate how powerful the Oklahoma State influence is in Oklahoma government (Oklahoma's governor is an OSU grad) when it comes to making sure that OU doesn't leave Ok State hanging in the wind.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Some writer from Houston trying to stir up junk again to get Houston in the Big 12. If Texas and Oklahoma leave, the Big 12 will be done for. The schools left will be devowered by the BIG 10, PAC 12 and the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
        Some writer from Houston trying to stir up junk again to get Houston in the Big 12. If Texas and Oklahoma leave, the Big 12 will be done for. The schools left will be devowered by the BIG 10, PAC 12 and the MWC.

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post

Comment

In a perfect world (yeah, I know, wishful thinking), here's where the remaining eight Big X(II) schools would end up:

Pac-12: Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech
            As someone who regularly works TCU games on the event staff side, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd be furious if TCU got hosed the way they did in 1996 when they were left out of the original Big XII thanks to the greedy sloths in Norman and Austin. That said, I can't see the Pac-12 bringing in BYU (lots of chirping from the uber-left wing strongholds of California, Oregon and Washington State because of BYU's adherence to the Mormon faith; plus, BYU's likely insistence on keeping their Notre Dame-type TV deal for football would probably be a non-starter for the Pac-12) or Boise State (honestly, if you're trying to build a brand to compete with the ACC or B1G, would you rather bring in a school from the 101st largest media market in Boise or the fifth largest media market in Dallas-Fort Worth in TCU?). That said, OkSU does seem to have the better national pedigree than the other three in football, but let's not forget that Texas Tech is only a couple years removed from a Final Four run and Baylor just won the national title in men's hoops. You can't tell the that the Pac-12 wouldn't at least look at the big picture instead of focusing strictly on football.
            Big Ten: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, WVU
            Don't think for one second the second-best P5 football league isn't thinking that expanding to 18 wouldn't be the ultimate "Hold my beer, SEC" moment; it's a crazy idea, but the PSAC shows that an 18 team league - with 16 in football - in a reasonably compact footprint of Pennsylvania and the easternmost point in West Virginia, but still close enough to PA - could work; compared to the other P5 conferences, the B1G would seem to be relatively compact save for the outposts of Lincoln, New Brunswick and College Park.

I was tempted to suggest that if the ACC was unsuccessful in grabbing WVU, they could make a run for UConn; yes, their football team stinks, but the basketball programs would add to an already decent league (though, I'm probably biased in saying that B1G hoops is far better and more compelling than the ACC). Now if the ACC somehow convinces the Domers to end their independent bit by having ESPN throw NBC a pretty good bone or two (as in a weekly ACC game of the week on NBC during weeks when Notre Dame isn't playing in South Bend and maybe a ACC title game broadcast every other year) and otherwise works a few other things out, then the UConn addition would be a reasonable balance (hell, ACC football is basically Clemson, Miami, (maybe) UNC-Chapel Hill and 11 spares, so UConn would blend in perfectly with the 11 spares).
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

It appears to be a done deal. I've been told we should have an announcement in days. University of Houston, Central Florida and Cincinnati are on Big 12 short list if Conference survives.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                It appears to be a done deal. I've been told we should have an announcement in days. University of Houston, Central Florida and Cincinnati are on Big 12 short list if Conference survives.
                You have good sources.

Comment

So Texas/OU last season in B12 is 2025. Now starts the process. Should be many shifts and changes in the next 5 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                    So Texas/OU last season in B12 is 2025. Now starts the process. Should be many shifts and changes in the next 5 seasons.
                    Unless the Big XII implodes. IMHO this has more of a chance of happening than regrouping.

If they are to regroup, then yes musical chairs will be the theme.

One other dilemma the Big XII will face if they somehow navigate the makeover is will they be considered a power conference? I think not.

Comment

OK-- it is official- OU and UT are part of the SEC.

Next- is it more likely that the Big 12 (8) stands pat, expands by two, expands by four, or blows up?

I'd say- expands by four.

Comment

Unless the Big XII implodes. IMHO this has more of a chance of happening than regrouping.

One other dilemma the Big XII will face if they somehow navigate the makeover is will they be considered a power conference? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          OK-- it is official- OU and UT are part of the SEC.

Next- is it more likely that the Big 12 (8) stands pat, expands by two, expands by four, or blows up?

I'd say- expands by four.
                          The Big XII will basically be the AAC/Conference USA rebranded.

Comment

I agree with you.

The big loss was OU. Texas, although they have a great brand and $$$$$$, are not a power team. They had a great run under Brown and that's it. How many seasons have they been a top 10 since? OU actually fits the SEC well.

Now, maybe Texas can get better in recruiting as they lose tons of Texas HS players to the SEC teams.

For Texas, this is HUGE!!!!

Comment

Right. So if they want to pay the "Little 12" $70 million, they certainly can leave before the 2025 contract expiration. And with their DEEP pockets, they certainly will.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X