Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

UIW/ACU & WT are not apples to apples. The first two are private universities. UIW's plan from day one of its new football program was to go to D1 within 5 years. They had no intentions on doing anything else. That was the deal when Tom Benson funded the program & stadium.

WT fans/Alum have been talking about moving to D1 or another conference for the 13 years I have followed D2. CAN THEY PLEASE MOVE ALREADY?? LMAO.
    The call for WT to go D1 13 years ago was a blind belief that WT could consistently beat FCS programs since they were a playoff team every year. Now it may be to avoid being a d2 independent if the exodus of LSC schools happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

McBroom was backed into a corner with the hiring of Nesbitt and Patel. Both took over for coaches that left mid-season. McBroom had no choice. When Hughes was named HC for the football program expectations were high. Those expectations have not been met or even approached. I do not know who the other candidates for the position were. If I remember correctly Hughes was not the first choice. The first choice wanted a long-term contract. I don't think anyone at Wt, as a D2 school, has ever had more than a one-year contract. IMHO, if Hughes does not return there will be no shortage of high-quality applicants.

You are missing out by not supporting other sports. Just like the girls on the softball team, VB and WBB have quality athletes on and off the court. One of the basketball girls is working part-time for me till the season starts. You should go to some of the WBB practices and meet the Coach and players, you will be glad you did.
      Regarding Nesbitt, it was posted on this forum that long before Carthel was fired, that McBroom was introducing Nesbitt as "the next head football coach". Also months before Carthel was fired someone in this forum posted that "O'Brien has given McBroom the green light to fire Carthel". Whether one or both of these are actually true, I don't know. Also, remember Spanishgate? Nesbitt got a pass on that even though the whistleblowing player said Nesbitt was very aware of what was going on. Instead a lowly assistant coach was fired. Spanishgate was a lot more serious than Ranger tickets. It didn't take long after being caretaker for a year for Nesbitt to wreck the program. I don't recall anyone else being interviewed.

I agree about Hughes. He seemed like a great candidate. However being a good coordinator does not necessarily lead to being a good head coach, e.g., Nesbitt.

Maybe UTPB is just a fantastic team and Hughes can overcome the loss. I really hope so. Maybe Commerce after a year off has lost something and we can beat them. Maybe we can slip by Angelo or Mines.. Maybe the coaches can figure out that to win they have to unleash Gerber instead of waiting until 3rd down. Maybe some day Hughes will realize the kicking game is actually important. Maybe too many maybes.

I live over 600 miles from Canyon, so I will have to decline your invite, though it is appreciated. I have been to 2-3 volleyball matches and I enjoyed them, I went to a Lady Buffs basketball game in 2015. Sorry, I just hate basketball, at any level. I used to come up 3-4 times per year for football and the same for softball. However I haven't been anywhere near there since the last game at Kimbrough. Somebody else can enjoy the Club Level.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, SOFTBALL!.

Enough said!
        I fixed your post!

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Good thing that schools like Gonzaga can get by on basketball and baseball.
          Maybe that is why I've never heard of them. Isn't that some kind of cheese? ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

You are correct. I believe Tremaine Jackson the defensive coordinator from Sioux Falls was the first choice. Turned out to be a horrible decision since he went on the be ACU's defensive coordinator and now is the head coach of FBS Central Michigan.
            https://cmumavericks.com/sports/foot...e-jackson/2560

Comment

• Thanks for the catch and my mistake. The emblem looked like Central Michigan.

Comment

• This weeks rankings. Source: https://www.versussportssimulator.com/D2/rankings
                10 Angelo St Lone Star 1.97 4 1 18 8 11 28 7
                13 Midwestern St Lone Star 1.79 4 1 6 7 34 32 35
                32 TAMU-Commerce Lone Star 1.33 3 2 23 9 14 22 27
                51 Texas-Permian Basin Lone Star 0.52 3 1 39 12 86 121 52
                76 TAMU-Kingsville Lone Star -0.05 2 2 74 2 57 106 10
                113 West Texas A&M Lone Star -0.95 2 3 71 42 73 35 111
                115 Eastern New Mexico Lone Star -1.00 1 3 111 4 96 69 122
                136 Western New Mexico Lone Star -1.76 1 4 134 2 140 124 149

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                  This weeks rankings. Source: https://www.versussportssimulator.com/D2/rankings
                  10 Angelo St Lone Star 1.97 4 1 18 8 11 28 7
                  13 Midwestern St Lone Star 1.79 4 1 6 7 34 32 35
                  32 TAMU-Commerce Lone Star 1.33 3 2 23 9 14 22 27
                  51 Texas-Permian Basin Lone Star 0.52 3 1 39 12 86 121 52
                  76 TAMU-Kingsville Lone Star -0.05 2 2 74 2 57 106 10
                  113 West Texas A&M Lone Star -0.95 2 3 71 42 73 35 111
                  115 Eastern New Mexico Lone Star -1.00 1 3 111 4 96 69 122
                  136 Western New Mexico Lone Star -1.76 1 4 134 2 140 124 149
                  Thanks for posting

Comment

• I looked up Nesbitt's record once he was officially named head coach. He was 18-14. 4 of those wins came against OPSU and McMurry when they were briefly in D2. His last game was an overtime win against WNMU. It is true he inherited a much better team than Hughes did. Nesbitt has been doing great in the NAIA, he's 5-0 this year, and has only lost something like 7 games in 4 years; 4 of those were in the inaugural year for football at OUAZ. Nesbitt fan(s) can watch his team play common opponent Texas College in Tyler this weekend.

Hughes is 22-22, including 3 wins over NAIA teams and worse (North American) last year and in this year's opener. His best season was 8-3, the lone year we had a good OC in the Hughes era. Losses that year were to Tarleton, Angelo, and Commerce. We might have been able to beat Angelo then if we had had a solid kicking game. We still don't.

We are about to hit the toughest part of the schedule. I don't see how he survives past this year.

Comment

• As long as most of the donors and administration are happy with D2 and Hughes then don't expect change.

Comment

• Former WT kicker Sergio Castillo has signed with Winnipeg.

https://www.coastreporter.net/nation...-lions-4528828

Comment

• Tobias is nominated for comeback player of the year.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2021/10/1...d-nominee.aspx

Comment

• Harris and Polivoda are honored.

https://gobuffsgo.com/news/2021/10/1...-the-week.aspx

Comment

• Sergio Castillo will be kicking for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers tomorrow at 6pm Central. It will be available on ESPN+.

Comment

• I came to some games when Ronnie Jones was coaching, the team played hard but lacked the basics. So much hope, but poor results.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110804...o_beilue.shtml

From Wikipedia: "Following an 8-8 record in 2000, owner Ralph Wilson fired Phillips after Phillips refused to fire special teams coach Ronnie Jones[6]" Jones was also Buddy Ryan's defensive coordinator for the Cardinals. They had the worst defense in the league.

Jones, who was 5-27 at WT, was picked by former AD Harris over Don Carthel. At least he hired Carthel later. McBroom is 0 for 2 in football and 1 of 2 in softball. Harris hired Blaskowski.

Jones is the DC of a high school team now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X