Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

WT scholarships are fully funded. They have 36. This was confirmed by our AD.
    I would be willing to guess that most scholarships are part athletic, part need-based, and part academic.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

• I believe they’ve missed out on 4 QBs offered, Blake Short, Clifton McDowell, Karst Hunter and a NMMI guy who has yet to commit and has multiple FCS offers.

curious as to why none of these guys chose WT.

Comment

• Originally posted by QB11111 View Post
        I believe they’ve missed out on 4 QBs offered, Blake Short, Clifton McDowell, Karst Hunter and a NMMI guy who has yet to commit and has multiple FCS offers.

curious as to why none of these guys chose WT.
        Short went to Pueblo, a couple of the new coaches at pueblo came from SFA and vigil has ties to that staff as well. So there was already a relationship there. McDowell went to a higher level and Hurst went to a school that's a playoff team right now. I haven't seen anything on them offering a kid from NMMI. those could be the reasons or it could just be they got a better offer from those schools.

I think ASUpops might be right as well. They might have already signed a good transfer guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

I would be willing to guess that most scholarships are part athletic, part need-based, and part academic.
          Off course. Remember D2 scholarships can be cut up many ways. One full scholarship worth $20,000 could become ten $2,000 scholarships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred View Post

the transfers there signing I am sure they are having to give them very good offers. I am not sure how you can sign the high school class they signed and then add 30-40 transfers on top of that. With those transfers you run out of money pretty quick. I hope the head coach knows what he is doing..
            This isn't Lynn's first rodeo. He knows how to manage 36 scholarships (plus academic aid) in a D2 program.

I have been in communication with someone who has first-hand knowledge of WT recruiting. They are being very choosy and looking for specific roster needs. This person stated that coaches check their emails daily. Players expressing an interest in WT are checked out and if WT is interested, those emails are followed up. I'm convinced Lynn and his experienced staff know what they're doing.

Comment

This isn't Lynn's first rodeo. He knows how to manage 36 scholarships (plus academic aid) in a D2 program.

I have been in communication with someone who has first-hand knowledge of WT recruiting. They are being very choosy and looking for specific roster needs. This person stated that coaches check their emails daily. Players expressing an interest in WT are checked out and if WT is interested, those emails are followed up. I'm convinced Lynn and his experienced staff know what they're doing.
              I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

Blake Short just committed to CSU-Pueblo, it seems WT is just barely missing out on the guys they want. Perhaps being too picky? Or maybe they aren’t offering full rides for the guys who think they deserve one.
                Almost nobody gets a full athletic ride in d2 football.

To further that thought I don't know that a guy who demands a full ath. Scholly is an asset to a d2 team instead of a liability.
                Last edited by Predatory Primates; 05-04-2023, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• Getting Florida, AZ, GA, and TX guys to come to Kearney Nebraska tells you what you need to know about Lynn as a manager of recruiters.

That said, he firmly believes in controlling clock and running the ball. His recruitment has always reflected that. Getting a stud passer to sign up for that is a tough sell.

Not sure what O he plans to run, but history tells us his QB will have to run and game manage about 70 to 90% of the time.

Comment

Off course. Remember D2 scholarships can be cut up many ways. One full scholarship worth $20,000 could become ten $2,000 scholarships.
                    A handful of top players will get full or very close to full.

And like at Angelo, back when my boy played, sometimes you get top players that get little to nothing because their college is paid...i.e. military kids, Hazelwood, grants, other scholarships, etc.
                    Last edited by ASUPops; 05-04-2023, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I was referring to UTPB’s coach not Lynn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

To further that thought I don't know that a guy who demands a full ath. Scholly is an asset to a d2 team instead of a liability.
                        It has been pointed out to me that full schollies may be more plentiful in the LSC than they are at Pitt and the other miaa schools, or maybe times have changed and d2 schools give out more full rides to freshmen than they used to.

Comment

It has been pointed out to me that full schollies may be more plentiful in the LSC than they are at Pitt and the other miaa schools, or maybe times have changed and d2 schools give out more full rides to freshmen than they used to.
                          Just all according to the player. If you have a D1 caliber play maker that WANTS to attend a DII school, he will get a full or nearly full scholly. No doubt about it. I believe most competitive teams have one or two of those guys. Other players earn more scholly money based off production and team need.

Not sure LSC offers more fulls, again just based off the player. I know a young man that was offered a full (all but books) at an MIAA 10 years ago.....not sure about nowadays.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Just all according to the player. If you have a D1 caliber play maker that WANTS to attend a DII school, he will get a full or nearly full scholly. No doubt about it. I believe most competitive teams have one or two of those guys. Other players earn more scholly money based off production and team need.

Not sure LSC offers more fulls, again just based off the player. I know a young man that was offered a full (all but books) at an MIAA 10 years ago.....not sure about nowadays.
                            It definitely happens sometimes. I work with a guy who had a full at Pitt back in the 90s. He wanted to stay home instead of playing for Nebraska or OU.

Comment

I could be wrong and the WT guys will surely set me straight.

I can only remember either Dustin Vaughan or Keith Null ever getting a D2 full ride scholarship over the last 15 years at WT.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

A handful of top players will get full or very close to full.

And like at Angelo, back when my boy played, sometimes you get top players that get little to nothing because their college is paid...i.e. military kids, Hazelwood, grants, other scholarships, etc.
                                Dustin Vaughn was on a full at WT once he became the starter.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X