Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another WT commit: Bryan Waggoner, 6'6 220 TE, Wichita Falls Hirschi. Big kid. Good hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred View Post

Got another commitment from his buddy. Antonio Morillo as well. 6’2 276 DT.
      Nice highlights!! Lean for a DT, but VERY quick off the snap. He will blow by lazy OL.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
        Another WT commit: Bryan Waggoner, 6'6 220 TE, Wichita Falls Hirschi. Big kid. Good hands.
        I saw him play against West Plains in the playoffs and thought he might be a FCS caliber kid.

They also had a USC commit running back on that team also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I saw him play against West Plains in the playoffs and thought he might be a FCS caliber kid.

They also had a USC commit running back on that team also.
          WT only lists 65 kids on the spring roster, 4 seniors. Add in all the transfer commits and the freshman class and I'm beginning to like what see. A winning record this year seems attainable. One aspect stands out for me: I believe our defense will be much improved under Gallegos. He's putting some bigger more athletic guys in the trenches giving our LBs a better chance of making plays. I expect a lot of good ole competition this fall for those spots on defense.

Comment

WT only lists 65 kids on the spring roster, 4 seniors. Add in all the transfer commits and the freshman class and I'm beginning to like what see. A winning record this year seems attainable. One aspect stands out for me: I believe our defense will be much improved under Gallegos. He's putting some bigger more athletic guys in the trenches giving our LBs a better chance of making plays. I expect a lot of good ole competition this fall for those spots on defense.
            Lynn's UNK defenses were built around great D Lines, too.

The more interesting part for me will be seeing what offense they run and how they run it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Lynn's UNK defenses were built around great D Lines, too.

The more interesting part for me will be seeing what offense they run and how they run it.
              Me, too. I'm afraid our O will be behind the D till mid-season.

We have a good RB in Akoye, 6' 220. He averaged 4.6 YPC last season. Our offensive scheme is a big mystery to me. With only 1 returning roster QB, a transfer from NM State, and 4 or so signees, who knows how their skills translate. Will Lynn try to squeeze them into a scheme or will he fit the scheme into the ability of his QBs to execute it?

Comment

Me, too. I'm afraid our O will be behind the D till mid-season.

We have a good RB in Akoye, 6' 220. He averaged 4.6 YPC last season. Our offensive scheme is a big mystery to me. With only 1 returning roster QB, a transfer from NM State, and 4 or so signees, who knows how their skills translate. Will Lynn try to squeeze them into a scheme or will he fit the scheme into the ability of his QBs to execute it?
                His history is ball control, and great D. I think he has done that from various systems, though.

No matter what he runs, I see WT being one of the more physical teams in the LSC on both sides of the ball in the next couple of years.

Comment

His history is ball control, and great D. I think he has done that from various systems, though.

No matter what he runs, I see WT being one of the more physical teams in the LSC on both sides of the ball in the next couple of years.
                  I'd love to see us manhandle the trenches. We never did that with Hughes. The LSC has not been known for physical defensive play. This may be fun to watch. Real football fans should appreciate that style of play.

Comment

I'd love to see us manhandle the trenches. We never did that with Hughes. The LSC has not been known for physical defensive play. This may be fun to watch. Real football fans should appreciate that style of play.
                    Well to be fair this rarely happened under Carthel either but they didnt have too when you had NFL players at the skill positions.

Of course that was exposed deep in the playoffs but to just see the playoffs...well....I digress.

I do agree it would be fun to finally see that type of successful OL play.

Comment

Well to be fair this rarely happened under Carthel either but they didnt have too when you had NFL players at the skill positions.

Of course that was exposed deep in the playoffs but to just see the playoffs...well....I digress.

Under Carthel WT did have a few interior DL's. Particularly Eugene Sims. He was a stud. Played, what 6/7 years in NFL? Buffs also had some studs on the edge. Westbrook and the guy (mushroom) who played special teams for Houston and Philadelphia. They were unblockable most of the time.

Comment

I hope Lynn can get at least 2/3 more talented OLs with experience to transfer in for this fall.

Comment

I hope Lynn can get at least 2/3 more talented OLs with experience to transfer in for this fall.
                          OL is always tough to fill.

Comment

Under Carthel WT did have a few interior DL's. Particularly Eugene Sims. He was a stud. Played, what 6/7 years in NFL? Buffs also had some studs on the edge. Westbrook and the guy (mushroom) who played special teams for Houston and Philadelphia. They were unblockable most of the time.
                            Oh yeah I remember those DL guys.

I just remember the deeper WT got in the playoffs the way less time Null, Vaughan, etc. had to throw, they were running for their life because all the OL could do was finesse pass protect and the running was not a factor either way most times (if the score was close or out of reach).

Only playoff game I recall the running game taking over is when Khiry Robinson ran over Chadron.

Comment

OL is always tough to fill.
                              WT only has 11 on the spring roster, 4 or 5 are redshirt freshmen.

Comment

Oh yeah I remember those DL guys.

I just remember the deeper WT got in the playoffs the way less time Null, Vaughan, etc. had to throw, they were running for their life because all the OL could do was finesse pass protect and the running was not a factor either way most times (if the score was close or out of reach).

Only playoff game I recall the running game taking over is when Khiry Robinson ran over Chadron.
                                Carthel did have OL RT Marcus Dupree who stuck around the NFL for 6/7 years. I think he was with the Bears for 4/5 years. Started quite a few games for a couple seasons.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X