Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT Men's BB

chip I saw WT signed another to their roster.They are signing them left and right. I know they are losing some,but I must be missing something. What have you heard, I know the coaches are pretty tight lipped when they lose one. Any info will be appreciated.

Re: WT Men's BB

Originally posted by exbuff72 View Post
    chip I saw WT signed another to their roster.They are signing them left and right. I know they are losing some,but I must be missing something. What have you heard, I know the coaches are pretty tight lipped when they lose one. Any info will be appreciated.
    14 on the squad. 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophs, 6 freshmen. An extremely young team. The seniors are returners Jordan Collins and Eric Mosley. The juniors are Marshall Johnson and Texas A&M transfer John Brown, 6'10. The sophs are Qua Grant, JoJo Murray, Derrick Geddis, and transfer Jon'il Fugett. The freshmen are Cameron Bell, Hayden Blankley, Kavon Booker, Jake Gerber, Zach Toussaint, and JT Warren. Unless something drastic happens, that's the team. James Pennington chose not to return and has landed closer to Chicago. Drew Evans was not invited back. Pennington would have been a soph and Evans a senior. Sterling White decided not to return.

Hmmm. Well, we're not going to be real big, but I can't envision a quicker team in the LSC. Brown is 6'10, but he's not a bruising force inside like Ryan Quaid was. Mosely's 6'6 and will play a key role this year. Although Mose isn't a big body, he's jack-rabbit quick and can really elevate. With Grant, Murray, and Collins retuning, we will have the best guard trio in the league. With Brown, Grant, Murray, Collins, Mosley, and Geddis you've got a fine group to put on the floor. I haven't seen much video on Brown, but I'm told he can rip the nets for a 6'10er.

I've watched all the video I could find on the signees (multiple times). The player I'm most impressed with is the Australian kid, 6'6 Hayden Blankley. His game looks ready for prime time. A complete player. He can play facing or with his back to the basket. He can hit the three, drive and knock down the mid-range jumper, and penetrate and finish at the glass. I watched him block a lot of shots. He handles the ball like a guard. Very impressed with him. I also like JT Warren, another Waxahachie guard, that played a couple years with Qua Grant. He a big guard, 6'3 and solid. He can hit the three better than Grant did last year. Strong and good on defense. He'll get PT right away, IMO. The new juco transfer, 6'0 Jon'il Fugett is a sharp player with very high BB IQ. Look for him to step in and be the backup PG. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 20 minutes a game PT as a sophomore. Bell is another PG with high IQ. A good all-round guard. I really don't know that much about the local kid, Jake Gerber, 6'3 and solid. He's played as much inside as outside coming from a very small school. He's strong and athletically talented, but the coaches may need to figure out where his talents are best used. Booker is a big, 6'6, solid frame 4 spot type kid. Raw and relatively inexperienced, he didn't start in high school till his senior year. Very athletic and strong. I'd love to see him get a redshirt year, but the Buffs may need him as a freshman. Then we get to Zach Toussaint. I watched 7 full games of his high school senior season. Kid can flat out shoot it, pass it, and has high BB IQ. But, he's pretty slight at @ 5'11 and I'd guess 160 lbs with his uniform on. He might benefit from a redshirt year to build strength and get acclimated to the college game. But damn, he can really shoot it. He's one of those kids who's in range when he walks into the gym. I saw him hit several threes just inside half-court. If basketball put in a 4 point shot, you'd want him on your team! He had some 50 point games as a senior at what I would term the 4A level in Texas.

At least three of the newcomers are going to really have to step it up quick. I'd guess Blankley, Warren, and Fugett will be the ones. At this time last summer, who would have expected Grant and Murray would come in as freshmen and burn it up?

How will the Buffs do? As long as Grant, Murray, and Collins are on the floor......try to stop them if you can. I expect Mosley to have a really good year and average 6 or 7 boards and 10 points a game. Geddis is so athletically explosive. He was pretty raw back in November, but helped out (as a freshman) as the season wore on. If he works hard this summer, he'll get plenty of PT. Will John Brown, at 6'10 be a capable replacement for Ryan Quaid? If he is, WT could have another stellar year. Tom Brown is spoiling us. Dare we expect another deep run in the playoffs with such a young squad?

This could be a really exciting young team to watch develop. Once Tom and staff find the 9/10 man rotation and these guys get some PT together, they're going to be tough to handle. They may have some early bumps in the road as they all get on the same page, but when they do.........better hold on tight!

Keep an eye on the Australian kid, Blankley. He's a potential freshman/newcomer of the year type talent. Like Qua Grant was last year.
    Last edited by BuffaloChip; 07-20-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Basketball sucks.

*YAWN*

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        Basketball sucks.

*YAWN*
        Then don't read it. Soccer sucks. That's why I never open a soccer thread. I think hockey sucks. That's why I never open a hockey thread. I think Angelo sucks. That's why I never open an Angelo thread.

See how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
          Then don't read it. Soccer sucks. That's why I never open a soccer thread. I think hockey sucks. That's why I never open a hockey thread. I think Angelo sucks. That's why I never open an Angelo thread.

See how that works.
          If there was a BuffaloChip thread, guess I wouldn't open it.

See how THAT works? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
            If there was a BuffaloChip thread, guess I wouldn't open it.

See how THAT works? ;)
            Hmmm. A BuffaloChip thread. Now that's an idea.

Comment

Hmmm. A BuffaloChip thread. Now that's an idea.
              Pops beat you to it though, he has his own thread already.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                Pops beat you to it though, he has his own thread already.
                Right. I wouldn't want to overshadow Pops. He's very sensitive.

Comment

Right. I wouldn't want to overshadow Pops. He's very sensitive.
                  Don't forget.....rich AND good looking!.

P S - Basketball Sucks!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X