Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

If you really want answers, or what can be done to help ...

[email protected]
    361-593-2800

If you know the answers, why don't you spill the beans?

I can't see why at this critical juncture in our program why things have to be kept a secret.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I can't see why at this critical juncture in our program why things have to be kept a secret.
      You want answers? Then call the folks in charge.

I have a sense of what's going because I talk to people at the university, not because of the MB.
      Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

YOU WANT THE TRUTH??? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!

Didn't you hear? They're waiting for the program to completely come apart so they can resurrect it in TAMU-CC after the merger. The Island Hogs will emerge victorious.

Comment

LSC Fan's head exploding in 5... 4... 3...

Comment

I have a sense of what's going because I talk to people at the university, not because of the MB.
            I don't have to, all I have to do is watch and as NOTHING happens. I don't need to call to have some stuffed shirt to fill my pockets with a lot of scenarios that could happen. LMAO

I think the only way it will don on you is when you fall through the stadium floor. BTW, might want to take those blinders off, reality will be a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

I haven't communicated at all with the new crew in charge. But if I get the response like I did from Gines and the non response I got from Talant, then I will prepare to be underwhelmed.

And no I didn't write letters claiming the sky was falling, etc nor did they sound anything like the banter on here. Just a simple what are we going to do with our facilities (not just football) and what can I do to help. The response from Gines was you know... very Gines like. But I'll give it a try. Why the hell not?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I don't have to, all I have to do is watch and as NOTHING happens. I don't need to call to have some stuffed shirt to fill my pockets with a lot of scenarios that could happen. LMAO

I think the only way it will don on you is when you fall through the stadium floor. BTW, might want to take those blinders off, reality will be a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the laugh!
                In defense of my friend Javsfan ( I think I'm on his and few others on here crap list) , he comes at it from a different angle and has access that some of us don't have. He lives in the vicinity and is active in local community, so he knows many of the movers and shakers and thus is in the loop. I think we have to same goal and he is not stick the head in the sand type guy or everything is fine, nothing to see here type of persona.

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                  LSC Fan's head exploding in 5... 4... 3...
                  No that occurred the last time we played and got humiliated by WTAM at Jerryworld. My expectations have been low since then, so my head is back to normal

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

I would not expect someone with on ties to the university to contact admin with concerns. The direct response to you was a general response of direct communication vs. posting on a message board.

I am not blind to issues that need to be addressed, but I know *****ing about it repeatedly on a MB won't do anything to get things resolved.
                    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

I haven't communicated at all with the new crew in charge. But if I get the response like I did from Gines and the non response I got from Talant, then I will prepare to be underwhelmed.

And no I didn't write letters claiming the sky was falling, etc nor did they sound anything like the banter on here. Just a simple what are we going to do with our facilities (not just football) and what can I do to help. The response from Gines was you know... very Gines like. But I'll give it a try. Why the hell not?

A Gines comparison is a low blow. He was almost universally disliked for a whole host of legitimate reasons. Despised might be a more accurate term. (Thank you Delaware State, thank you, thank you, thank you).

Give Steve a try. See what he has to say. He may or may not have answers that you want to hear, but at least reach out and see.

Comment

A Gines comparison is a low blow. He was almost universally disliked for a whole host of legitimate reasons. Despised might be a more accurate term. (Thank you Delaware State, thank you, thank you, thank you).

Give Steve a try. See what he has to say. He may or may not have answers that you want to hear, but at least reach out and see.
                        For the record, I wasn't comparing the new AD to Gines and was just noting the response I got from Gines for which it really showed football was not a priority in his book. Whether it is with the new crew, I don't know? What do you think?

I will indeed reach out to him. Look, I want our program to get back to respectability sooner rather than later. It's a kick in the gut to not see our team among the chatter this time of year after decades (save for a dip here and there) of constant chatter. I know it won't happen overnight now, but I'm prepared to do my part with time and money. And really I hope to be in position with my new company in the coming years to be a little more generous with the later. I really do want to put my money where my mouth is.

Comment

For the record, I wasn't comparing the new AD to Gines and was just noting the response I got from Gines for which it really showed football was not a priority in his book. Whether it is with the new crew, I don't know? What do you think?

I will indeed reach out to him. Look, I want our program to get back to respectability sooner rather than later. It's a kick in the gut to not see our team among the chatter this time of year after decades (save for a dip here and there) of constant chatter. I know it won't happen overnight now, but I'm prepared to do my part with time and money. And really I hope to be in position with my new company in the coming years to be a little more generous with the later. I really do want to put my money where my mouth is.
                          Understood. We have the same goal, we just use different channels to communicate them.

Comment

Normally I avoid "jabbing" back and forth on this web-site, but I want to add a few thoughts....some responses on just recent postings.

First, I think it is unfair to criticize AD Gines. He may have had a particular management style that was not the most inviting, but he did put together a great group of coaches for the Hogs, most of whom are still with us. From these we have scored very highly nationally. Football is an exception, and I not sure why, as we seem to have had excellent athletic talent. In fact, this year's group of kids look formable, and IMO it is going to be coaches who make this team respectable, or not. But, IMO, Gines was a very good AD overall.

If there was no push on athletic facilities, remember, it had to go from Gines to the President, and somehow all that was put on the back burner, and I certainly agree, we badly need new facilities. Instead, we ended up with a cricket field and a new $64 million music hall (which BTW, I am a big supporter of..., really).

On a more important note, I saw this week that our enrollment dropped by a whopping 1,000+ students, from fall 2018 to fall 2019. This is jus alarming, and I believe ties to several things...

One, and this is not necessarily the most important, but it is a factor..., our lack of success in football in recent years and the condition of our our overall athletic facilities, is proving to be a highly negative factor.

Two, our geographic student area is being cannibalized and at the moment we are getting killed. At our new 7,200 student level, I see that A & M-International in Laredo may surpass us in total enrollment this fall of 2019. Just unvelievable. A & M-CC is now up to over 11,000 students, and growing. UH-Victoria is growing, and even expanding "backward" to Katy with a campus. UTRGV is up to over 49,000 students, and now with a medical school. I may be wrong here (someone correct me), but A & M-College Station has an engineering facility in the RGV? And, lastly, San Antonio now has over half a dozen universities. And no telling how many of the community colleges in "our area" are adding students because of home living proximity and lower costs, all on the assumption a new student can get a good two year start and live at home before finishing at a four year institution.

Thirdly, and other have hit on this..., we have a total lack of "marketing visibility". Nothing coming out of the University on a continual basis, not much from the SID in athletics (has any one seen anything on football..., I haven't, and in fact the other day I looked at a BYU blog website and saw more info on Javelina players than I ever got info on from The Ville. Want to know where Josh Oglesby transferred to, see the BYU site...).

And, on this matter, see Newschamber "Spot on Texas", which aggregates news from all Texas newspapers including college rags. Before today (one Jav posting), there were articles from 50 universities and colleges in Texas, but NOTHING from A & I. Someone is dropping the proverbial ball here.

My thought is the administrators at Kingsville need to quickly put together a major new, marketing effort, emphasizing "reach out and touch marketing" to all the high schools and community colleges in our area, and get our student growth back on track, or we will, in fact, be a candidate for consolidation with A & M CC if not results driven.

As to communicating these thoughts, and many others on marketing the Javelina brand, I have sent the President a much longer email than this, on this issue of concern.

My hope is we can get a group of "influencers" together and stop the slide...and BTW, blaming it on Trump's immigration policy announced back in 2017 is not the cause (see the news article on slide in enrollment).

lantana

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
                              Normally I avoid "jabbing" back and forth on this web-site, but I want to add a few thoughts....some responses on just recent postings.

First, I think it is unfair to criticize AD Gines. He may have had a particular management style that was not the most inviting, but he did put together a great group of coaches for the Hogs, most of whom are still with us. From these we have scored very highly nationally. Football is an exception, and I not sure why, as we seem to have had excellent athletic talent. In fact, this year's group of kids look formable, and IMO it is going to be coaches who make this team respectable, or not. But, IMO, Gines was a very good AD overall.

If there was no push on athletic facilities, remember, it had to go from Gines to the President, and somehow all that was put on the back burner, and I certainly agree, we badly need new facilities. Instead, we ended up with a cricket field and a new $64 million music hall (which BTW, I am a big supporter of..., really).

On a more important note, I saw this week that our enrollment dropped by a whopping 1,000+ students, from fall 2018 to fall 2019. This is jus alarming, and I believe ties to several things...

One, and this is not necessarily the most important, but it is a factor..., our lack of success in football in recent years and the condition of our our overall athletic facilities, is proving to be a highly negative factor.

Two, our geographic student area is being cannibalized and at the moment we are getting killed. At our new 7,200 student level, I see that A & M-International in Laredo may surpass us in total enrollment this fall of 2019. Just unvelievable. A & M-CC is now up to over 11,000 students, and growing. UH-Victoria is growing, and even expanding "backward" to Katy with a campus. UTRGV is up to over 49,000 students, and now with a medical school. I may be wrong here (someone correct me), but A & M-College Station has an engineering facility in the RGV? And, lastly, San Antonio now has over half a dozen universities. And no telling how many of the community colleges in "our area" are adding students because of home living proximity and lower costs, all on the assumption a new student can get a good two year start and live at home before finishing at a four year institution.

Thirdly, and other have hit on this..., we have a total lack of "marketing visibility". Nothing coming out of the University on a continual basis, not much from the SID in athletics (has any one seen anything on football..., I haven't, and in fact the other day I looked at a BYU blog website and saw more info on Javelina players than I ever got info on from The Ville. Want to know where Josh Oglesby transferred to, see the BYU site...).

And, on this matter, see Newschamber "Spot on Texas", which aggregates news from all Texas newspapers including college rags. Before today (one Jav posting), there were articles from 50 universities and colleges in Texas, but NOTHING from A & I. Someone is dropping the proverbial ball here.

My thought is the administrators at Kingsville need to quickly put together a major new, marketing effort, emphasizing "reach out and touch marketing" to all the high schools and community colleges in our area, and get our student growth back on track, or we will, in fact, be a candidate for consolidation with A & M CC if not results driven.

As to communicating these thoughts, and many others on marketing the Javelina brand, I have sent the President a much longer email than this, on this issue of concern.

My hope is we can get a group of "influencers" together and stop the slide...and BTW, blaming it on Trump's immigration policy announced back in 2017 is not the cause (see the news article on slide in enrollment).

lantana
                              A&M has what they call a Higher Ed Center in McAllen offering A&M College Station course work via remote.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/MHEC?utm_...edium=business

It's kind of similar to what TAMUK started in San Antonio which eventually became it's own stand alone campus. Who knows if that is in cards with this situation down there?

I think we read the same article, and the number is alarming. But it did note they quit counting high school dual credit students, primarily in the RGV because the school stopped sending instructors down there to physically teach the classes. Which begs the question. How many other schools are doing the same thing? For the record I've always had an issue with schools including dual credit students in their total enrollment figures for the simple reason they might be only taking three hours and will never step foot on campus. Del Mar College does the same thing to make their numbers sound good so they in turn can ask the voters for more bond money.

But who knows? Maybe they are doing this on purpose so they can try to consolidate the two schools again. John Sharp still wants this and our fear as A&I/TAMUK alums is he might slant it more favorable towards Corpus this time vs Kingsville. That's one reason it didn't pass go the last time is the perception Kingsville was a bigger winner vs Corpus . I know 89 Hog was poking around, but now that I think about it, the Island Hog thing might be more serious than one thinks.

Gines had many flaws which one was allowing our football schollies to slide among a few other things which affected recruiting, especially in the JUCO/Transfer market . This has greatly affected our depth and it showed against the now big boys in the LSC. But yes he did make some good hires for softball, volleyball, baseball and track. I still think Wilk was a good hire. But at least on the surface it was like hiring a Police Chief with a good resume to bring the crime rate down, but the council refuses to give him every tool to do so and the rate stays the same or gets worse and then the Chief looks like he failed when it really wasn't his fault in the first place. I'm not so sure all the options available were given to Wilk to make and keep us competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post

lantana
                                Good to see you back on the board. Let me know when you're coming to town.

The cricket field is part of a big intramurals push a few years back, and included new rec facilities for softball, football, soccer as well as the new top-notch tennis courts and beach volleyball facilities. This was funded via student fees, and by including the cricket fields, it ensured strong student turnout from a large block of graduate engineering students. That was a good move.

As far as Gines, he personally offended a large number of boosters and university personnel and pretty much killed the Javelina Club. He did hire some good coaches, but he was in charge during a time when the football program floundered.

Josh Oglesby transferred to Arkansas to run track for the Razorbacks, and he was a first team All American last spring.

Changes in dual enrollment and a large decrease in foreign students (almost all masters-level engineering, and paying full tuition) are the primary drivers in enrollment lull. On the flip-side, student retention has improved in recent years.

I agree that the university has to do a better job marketing, and the SID needs to improve on what his department is doing - there has been a marked decline in sports information for several years now. We were the last LSC school to release a football roster, no game notes for this year yet, no media guide since 2016, and the radio network the last few years has been virtually non-existent. Mark Inserra does a nice job as the assistant SID, but overall the SID department is lacking.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X