Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javelina Football

Well, I was hesitant to start this thread but I REFUSE to give up on my Hogs!!

That being said, what kind of team will we have this year? Will we post another 4-7 record and, if so, will we be competitive in our 7 losses? Will this be a shocker season like 2016 when we went 9-3 (after several 2-9 seasons) and were competitive in our 3 losses (5 pts were the difference in 3 losses)?

How have our players developed in the off-season and are they hungry enough to overcome the "losing" mentality that appears to have made its way to our program? Will the new transfers gel and make a difference? Will Buff's defense be more consistent and not give up the big plays (this killed us in too many games last year)?

We're not sporting a new stadium or even renovations to a our stadium. We haven't made any capital expenses to our athletic facilities in years (unless you count the intramural sports facility that contains beach volleyball). Is our new AD going to support our program to help bring it back to what it once was? At the risk of sounding critical, our program can't possibly sink any lower so it should be all uphill from here.

GO HOGS!!!

Re: Javelina Football

The west press box was relocated.

Comment

I'd love to be optimistic, but I feel like one of the subjects being vaporized by the Dragon Queen on Game of Thrones with how many times I've been burned trying to be optimistic now for almost a decade. While I am still a supporter/fan/alum and I hope I am wrong, I've just about given up on the whole situation down there on and off the field. If we finish with another bad record this year, we are more than likely looking at coach number three in a decades time frame. And if we are not going to go all in and give whatever new coach the tools he needs to revive the program, it will just be rinse and repeat for another three or four years and it's back to square one again. And with that a generation lost of current students and former students who have no clue what it was like to be at a jam packed Javelina stadium on a Saturday. Only second hand stories from those of us who were around back in 60's, 70's 80's 90's and up to 2011. It's really heartbreaking to be in this situation.

I'm really disappointed our administration hasn't shown it's cards yet on the grand plans ( if any exist) on what is going to be done with our capital needs and this goes for all of our sports offerings because our baseball and basketball facilities need some attention, but football should get the top priority. I keep hoping one day I'd log on here and see a link to a big announcement on what is going to get done or something in the Javelina Highlights newsletter showing the same. But instead the news letter often has notes about what others are doing for their facilities not only in our conference, but around the nation in D2 among the more familiar names. If I was writing that newsletter I'd be kind of wondering out loud why aren't we covering facility improvements of our own.

Comment

I was born and raised in Kingsville and I too am a Hoggie fan and an A&I till I die/TAMUK alumni. I am optimistic every year because I was there for all the championships, although I don't remember the 1959 championship game as I was too small. I remember working as a waiter at the Roundtable Inn during the early 1970s. The manager would let us go to the Javelina games but we had to return to the restaurant before the end of the game as the restaurant would get packed with Javelina fans. We would rake in the tips from waiting on tables those nights. Everyone was feeling generous because the Hoggies usually won! I used to tell anyone who would listen that you never bet against the Javelinas but lately I have been a little quiet. The begining of every football season brings out the Border Bandits (no pun) fan in me. It's hard to pinpoint what may be lacking in our beloved football program. Is it the name change, the lack of recruiting from the Houston and San Antonio area, too few scholarships, too much parity in the conference? I do believe that the powers that be have slacked off in maintaining the bling in our facilities so as to attract the best football players although I am very proud of our other athletics and facilities and will support them too! Spring training showed the Hogs have a good defense and a promising offense as I think Cade Dyal and Koy Detmer may return as possible starters at quarterback. We have recruited some more JUCOS for an immediate jolt to our program and some transfers may get it done this year. Yeah, I'm optimistic!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
          I'd love to be optimistic, but I feel like one of the subjects being vaporized by the Dragon Queen on Game of Thrones with how many times I've been burned trying to be optimistic now for almost a decade. While I am still a supporter/fan/alum and I hope I am wrong, I've just about given up on the whole situation down there on and off the field. If we finish with another bad record this year, we are more than likely looking at coach number three in a decades time frame. And if we are not going to go all in and give whatever new coach the tools he needs to revive the program, it will just be rinse and repeat for another three or four years and it's back to square one again. And with that a generation lost of current students and former students who have no clue what it was like to be at a jam packed Javelina stadium on a Saturday. Only second hand stories from those of us who were around back in 60's, 70's 80's 90's and up to 2011. It's really heartbreaking to be in this situation.

I'm really disappointed our administration hasn't shown it's cards yet on the grand plans ( if any exist) on what is going to be done with our capital needs and this goes for all of our sports offerings because our baseball and basketball facilities need some attention, but football should get the top priority. I keep hoping one day I'd log on here and see a link to a big announcement on what is going to get done or something in the Javelina Highlights newsletter showing the same. But instead the news letter often has notes about what others are doing for their facilities not only in our conference, but around the nation in D2 among the more familiar names. If I was writing that newsletter I'd be kind of wondering out loud why aren't we covering facility improvements of our own.
          I was looking at the schedule and its going to be an uphill battle to have a winning season. I do think the Hogs have improved enough from the additions in recruits and coaches to at the very least be competitive in the second tier ASU ENMU and WT. Going to have to find a way at home against ASU and WT if y'all expect have a winning season. Tarleton has reloaded and the Homecoming game could be a beat down. I think Western Oregon would've been a better choice for homecoming

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
            I was looking at the schedule and its going to be an uphill battle to have a winning season. I do think the Hogs have improved enough from the additions in recruits and coaches to at the very least be competitive in the second tier ASU ENMU and WT. Going to have to find a way at home against ASU and WT if y'all expect have a winning season. Tarleton has reloaded and the Homecoming game could be a beat down. I think Western Oregon would've been a better choice for homecoming
            Our biggest issue now going back several season has been the O and D-lines. For the balance of the last several seasons, we have been dominated size wise and physically on both sides of the line. Last year against Tarleton, MSU, Commerce , etc we looked like boys playing against grown men. All of this on top of lack of depth at those positions which all ties into the recruiting strategy.

I don't know if our coaching staff received a mandate from the prior administration to focus more locally (IE south of San Antonio) for recruits or what have you because the truth of the matter is the better talent pools are up state. Or are we forced to rely more on local partly because of competition of our LSC/SLC peers and them going all out to make themselves more attractive for those recruits to not even give us the time of day? Or course I think the latter is playing a big part in this and one day I hope the administration wakes the heck up and smells the coffee.

As a friend and fellow poster on here noted to me, Texas is growing big time with people moving in from out of state in record numbers. New high schools are being built as fast as the bonds are passed in the major metro areas to accommodate this growth which means the recruiting areas will have more kids to choose from. It shouldn't be an issue for any college program worth it's salt to find good recruits if you have the right plan to bring them. In other words with the number of colleges playing scholarship football in Texas and you could probably throw in a few more who might start programs in the near future, the talent pools in the better recruiting regions of the state will be more than sufficient for everyone to participate in. Wake the heck up Javelinaville and get on train!

Comment

Our biggest issue now going back several season has been the O and D-lines. For the balance of the last several seasons, we have been dominated size wise and physically on both sides of the line. Last year against Tarleton, MSU, Commerce , etc we looked like boys playing against grown men. All of this on top of lack of depth at those positions which all ties into the recruiting strategy.

I don't know if our coaching staff received a mandate from the prior administration to focus more locally (IE south of San Antonio) for recruits or what have you because the truth of the matter is the better talent pools are up state. Or are we forced to rely more on local partly because of competition of our LSC/SLC peers and them going all out to make themselves more attractive for those recruits to not even give us the time of day? Or course I think the latter is playing a big part in this and one day I hope the administration wakes the heck up and smells the coffee.

As a friend and fellow poster on here noted to me, Texas is growing big time with people moving in from out of state in record numbers. New high schools are being built as fast as the bonds are passed in the major metro areas to accommodate this growth which means the recruiting areas will have more kids to choose from. It shouldn't be an issue for any college program worth it's salt to find good recruits if you have the right plan to bring them. In other words with the number of colleges playing scholarship football in Texas and you could probably throw in a few more who might start programs in the near future, the talent pools in the better recruiting regions of the state will be more than sufficient for everyone to participate in. Wake the heck up Javelinaville and get on train!
              So, In your honest opinion if school can somehow put together some financing and revamp the venue the hoards will come or return. If not expect more of the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                So, In your honest opinion if school can somehow put together some financing and revamp the venue the hoards will come or return. If not expect more of the same?
                Yes it will help. Does it automatically put us back in the "W" column on a week in/out basis and get the usual 10k or more in the stands ? Nope. Will it at least turn the worm some to where we won't be close to laughing stock status as we are now? It will certainly get us closer to being taken seriously.

Comment

Speaking of those Glory Days....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223599885371

Comment

New assistant coaches added to Javelina staff. At the risk of sounding like an eternal optimist (which I'm not), I really believe this may be the last shot for our current staff to "prove" themselves. Looking at the number of JuCo transfers we picked up may be a reflection of the current administration's recruiting philosophy. This may be the biggest number of Transfers we've picked up in a long time. I am really anxious to see what this team does. The first game will be a really big test and may set the tone for the rest of the season.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                      New assistant coaches added to Javelina staff. At the risk of sounding like an eternal optimist (which I'm not), I really believe this may be the last shot for our current staff to "prove" themselves. Looking at the number of JuCo transfers we picked up may be a reflection of the current administration's recruiting philosophy. This may be the biggest number of Transfers we've picked up in a long time. I am really anxious to see what this team does. The first game will be a really big test and may set the tone for the rest of the season.

GO HOGS!!!
                      Agree, I think another losing season for this coaching staff and the Javelinas are looking at another coach next year. They really need to show something. Hard to feel really positive right now with the program. The social media presence has really slowed down the last couple of years (that also does not make me feel really good about the program). If another losing season and the coach does get fired, then we better update the facilities with any new coach they bring in.

Comment

Any news on how they have been looking in training camp practices?

Comment

Javelina Football

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
                          Agree, I think another losing season for this coaching staff and the Javelinas are looking at another coach next year. They really need to show something. Hard to feel really positive right now with the program. The social media presence has really slowed down the last couple of years (that also does not make me feel really good about the program). If another losing season and the coach does get fired, then we better update the facilities with any new coach they bring in.
                          Last edited by LSC Fan; 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

bread and butter sport.
                            Wait, I thought this was a football thread, not a beach volleyball thread!

Comment

Did anyone make it to the scrimmage today?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X