Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Good to see you back on the board. Let me know when you're coming to town.

The cricket field is part of a big intramurals push a few years back, and included new rec facilities for softball, football, soccer as well as the new top-notch tennis courts and beach volleyball facilities. This was funded via student fees, and by including the cricket fields, it ensured strong student turnout from a large block of graduate engineering students. That was a good move.

As far as Gines, he personally offended a large number of boosters and university personnel and pretty much killed the Javelina Club. He did hire some good coaches, but he was in charge during a time when the football program floundered.

Josh Oglesby transferred to Arkansas to run track for the Razorbacks, and he was a first team All American last spring.

Changes in dual enrollment and a large decrease in foreign students (almost all masters-level engineering, and paying full tuition) are the primary drivers in enrollment lull. On the flip-side, student retention has improved in recent years.

I agree that the university has to do a better job marketing, and the SID needs to improve on what his department is doing - there has been a marked decline in sports information for several years now. We were the last LSC school to release a football roster, no game notes for this year yet, no media guide since 2016, and the radio network the last few years has been virtually non-existent. Mark Inserra does a nice job as the assistant SID, but overall the SID department is lacking.
    Agree about the decrease in foreign students. I heard about this last year at one of the games and heard it was going to continue to decline because of changes made regarding student visas (not bashing anyone, just relaying what was told to me). Mark Inserra does an excellent job as an asst SID, but I sure miss Kelvin Queliz. I think that Kevin did an amazing job. Too bad we lost him to University of New Orleans. Speaking of radio, what happened to Hog's Voice? I'm pretty sure he was the voice of Javelina football for the Alice or Kingsville station. He practically cried on the air when we beat ACU for our last game. You have to respect that kind of loyalty. :)

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post

Agree about the decrease in foreign students. I heard about this last year at one of the games and heard it was going to continue to decline because of changes made regarding student visas (not bashing anyone, just relaying what was told to me). Mark Inserra does an excellent job as an asst SID, but I sure miss Kelvin Queliz. I think that Kevin did an amazing job. Too bad we lost him to University of New Orleans. Speaking of radio, what happened to Hog's Voice? I'm pretty sure he was the voice of Javelina football for the Alice or Kingsville station. He practically cried on the air when we beat ACU for our last game. You have to respect that kind of loyalty. :)
      I think the gentlemen you speak of had some serious health issues and had to quit doing radio. He also did the Alice Coyote games. I did like his style and enthusiasm, especially when he had to do some of the road game solo.

And yes Kelvin Queliz understood the dynamics of being a good SID. The local media coverage (local Corpus TV and Newspapers) has really fallen off. All the traditional sports media outlets are void of talent with local connections to the market (IE went to A&I/TAMUK or lived in the region) except KRIS which has one sportscaster who went to A&I. But they only give his sports cast like 90 or 120 seconds to squeeze in maybe a local high school story and something about the one of the pro teams and that is it. The Caller Times thanks to their acquisition by McPaper or USA Today cut and slashed local staff which included long time tenured writers such as the guy who covered the Hogs. Now the coverage is almost nothing. It used to be during this week, they would have a several article preview on the team. Now? Not even a mention in passing about the season starting or a game even being played at home on Saturday. Of course not having a great W/L doesn't help either. But when we had dips in the past, they still gave us ink ( now you would call it bandwith) and TV time.

Comment

Can't argue with any of the above, it is all causative of our problem....,and I really agree on the lack of info coming out (not coming out...) of the SID, and the local media is what it is (nuff said).

Will be coming in on Saturday, drop by E 14 1 and 2 to say hi.... LSC Fan, this goes for you too.

lantana

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
          Can't argue with any of the above, it is all causative of our problem....,and I really agree on the lack of info coming out (not coming out...) of the SID, and the local media is what it is (nuff said).

Will be coming in on Saturday, drop by E 14 1 and 2 to say hi.... LSC Fan, this goes for you too.

lantana
          Thanks Lantana and I'd love to go and meet you, but have an early flight to Florida Sunday morning.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X