Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great White Buffalo Speaks: Wt Football

In another thread, Joe Price asks, "How many seniors are playing for Wt?" The answer is 7. There are 89 Freshmen.

When Hughes was hired he made it known that the program would be built around 5th-year seniors. We are now into the 5th year and there are 7 seniors??
    The theory was that Wt would run the ball behind an OL that was older and bigger than our opponents. We can all see the results of that plan.
    It is clear that what we were told has failed in colossal fashion. The staff has failed to adjust its system to reality. With 89 freshmen we clearly cannot compete.
    Successful programs, in any sport, maintain class balance with no one class overloading the others. 89 freshmen is a clear indication that the plan has failed.
    While I wish that the Wt faithful could wait another 3-5 years, we cannot. If Hughs can not compete with his own plan, how can we expect success??

I'm not inclined to push the panic button. It appears to me that the plan is not working and will not work. If Hughes can not or will not change direction by adding
    a large number of transfers it is time for a change in direction. I understand that other sports are much different just because of the difference in numbers. Men
    and women's basketball along with softball have bolstered their rosters with transfers. With the transfer portal, a D2 school may no longer be able to "grow their own."
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

he gone

Comment

In 2019 WT went 8-3. In those wins they were barely able to beat UTPB, Kingsville, and Midwestern State. 2021 all 3 schools have appeared to improve with UTPB already beating WT and Midwestern would be favored now. At this rate the Kingsville game is a push.

Looking at the schedule WT is in danger of finishing below .500 against D2 teams, possibly as bad as 3-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
        In another thread, Joe Price asks, "How many seniors are playing for Wt?" The answer is 7. There are 89 Freshmen.

When Hughes was hired he made it known that the program would be built around 5th-year seniors. We are now into the 5th year and there are 7 seniors??
        The theory was that Wt would run the ball behind an OL that was older and bigger than our opponents. We can all see the results of that plan.
        It is clear that what we were told has failed in colossal fashion. The staff has failed to adjust its system to reality. With 89 freshmen we clearly cannot compete.
        Successful programs, in any sport, maintain class balance with no one class overloading the others. 89 freshmen is a clear indication that the plan has failed.
        While I wish that the Wt faithful could wait another 3-5 years, we cannot. If Hughs can not compete with his own plan, how can we expect success??

I'm not inclined to push the panic button. It appears to me that the plan is not working and will not work. If Hughes can not or will not change direction by adding
        a large number of transfers it is time for a change in direction. I understand that other sports are much different just because of the difference in numbers. Men
        and women's basketball along with softball have bolstered their rosters with transfers. With the transfer portal, a D2 school may no longer be able to "grow their own."

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
          In 2019 WT went 8-3. In those wins they were barely able to beat UTPB, Kingsville, and Midwestern State. 2021 all 3 schools have appeared to improve with UTPB already beating WT and Midwestern would be favored now. At this rate the Kingsville game is a push.

Looking at the schedule WT is in danger of finishing below .500 against D2 teams, possibly as bad as 3-6.

Comment

It's EARLY in the season. Relax.

Comment

The Gold Standard will be if the transfer portal has an effect on traditional powers as Northwest Missouri State and Grand Valley. If not.....

Comment

I agree they can be. All goes back to having the talent and not having the coaching to maximize the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                  I agree its early but for the path and plan WT and their fans expect have no more room for error. WT has to run the table to have any hopes of a playoff spot.

Comment

WT isn't going to run the table.

It's later than you think.

I'm sure running Harris up the middle most of the time will work fine against the next opponent. Hughes is a swift, talented runner once he gets in the open, it's just that first couple of yards he's not good at, Maybe the offensive line should try opening a hole or two.

Maybe the coaches could sit out the next game, especially the OC. In fact the OC should take early retirement, or just stay home. Let the team captains make the calls. The result would likely be better.

It looks like good weather still in Monmouth, OR. I would have expected rain. How many of you are going to the game? I'm going out on a limb and picking WT by 21, or if the OC stays home, WT by 42. I'm thinking Tobias will get his pick 6 this week.

https://wouwolves.com/sports/football/schedule

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                      18 Days till Oct. 15th

Football will be over by then
                      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

18 Days till Oct. 15th

Football will be over by then
                        More like October 9th if they lose to Angelo at home.

Comment

Just remember, my comments on the Hogs are from my very optimistic view. Also remember, when I say we're much improved, I'm referring to a team that consistently allowed 50+ points while we barely had any plays at our opponent's end of the field. WT can still hang with anyone in the LSC.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Remaining games projection:

WO - W (big)
                            Angelo - L
                            ENMU - W (maybe)
                            Commerce - L
                            Kingsville - W (maybe)
                            MSU - L
                            Bethel - W

Nesbitt got an extra year by firing his coordinators. It didn't help. Will Hughes get that last chance?

Comment

More like October 9th if they lose to Angelo at home.
                              They won't

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X