Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

How do you figure? It's likely he will be below .500 career at the end of the season. The offense is erratic, the defense is not very good, and the special teams suck.
    Obviously GWB is way more in the know than most of us and I respect his opinion. If WT loses the rest of their D2 games I don't see the positives here other than administration buying into the Covid and/or young team on the rise excuse.

What I do see is Carthel and even Nesbitt to a certain extent while he was here could beat teams on either coaching and/or talent alone. With Mines and now Western Oregon you are getting outcoached and with lesser talent on the other team.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see him turn it around and win out. I am not against any coach personally. When you are potentially finishing below 500 with the LSC getting weaker every year due to the exodus of long time power teams and new teams spinning up and passing you within a span of a few years even with new facilities then there has to be a finger pointed somewhere and this case you cant point it at the defensive coordinator or administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Obviously GWB is way more in the know than most of us and I respect his opinion. If WT loses the rest of their D2 games I don't see the positives here other than administration buying into the Covid and/or young team on the rise excuse.

What I do see is Carthel and even Nesbitt to a certain extent while he was here could beat teams on either coaching and/or talent alone. With Mines and now Western Oregon you are getting outcoached and with lesser talent on the other team.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see him turn it around and win out. I am not against any coach personally. When you are potentially finishing below 500 with the LSC getting weaker every year due to the exodus of long time power teams and new teams spinning up and passing you within a span of a few years even with new facilities then there has to be a finger pointed somewhere and this case you cant point it at the defensive coordinator or administration.
      I like Hughes and wish it had gone better for him, but part of being a head coach is hiring good assistants. He hasn't had much luck with that. We don't have a true defensive coordinator, we have an assistant that is responsible for the pass and a different one that is responsible for the run. We don't have a special teams coach. Our OC is terrible.

Not every great assistant coach becomes a good head coach. Just ask Wade Phillips.

We have 3 failed head coaches on the staff. We need one that has been successful somewhere else. https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/footbal...roster-coaches

Comment

We have 3 failed head coaches on the staff. We need one that has been successful somewhere else. https://gobuffsgo.com/sports/footbal...roster-coaches
        I know that Wagner (Angelo State) and Martin (Mesa) are two of the three, but who is the third, unless you are already counting Hughes in that position?

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
          I know that Wagner (Angelo State) and Martin (Mesa) are two of the three, but who is the third, unless you are already counting Hughes in that position?
          Yes, I did count Hughes.

Wagner's record (48-41, one LSC Championship and one NCAA appearances) as head coach was much better than Hughes'.
          Last edited by WT_TKW; 10-03-2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Part of the problem at Wt is that there are several players that are classified one way athletically and another academically. Several of our freshmen, athletically, are sophomores academically and in some cases will be juniors at mid-term. This has been the case for the last 3 years. Many times, due to dual-credit high school classes,
            players will graduate "early" with eligibility left. They will then move to another school to complete a master's program. This is one reason there are very few upper-classmen on our roster. We are losing upper-classmen not only to the portal but to their ongoing education. The plan of having a team of 5th-year seniors simply is no longer viable.
            Hughes MUST adjust his recruiting to reflect the changing landscape of college athletics. Other coaches in the LSC have found a way to utilize the transfer players, Wt must follow their example. IMHO, winning is now based on who gets the best one and two-year players.
            The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
              Part of the problem at Wt is that there are several players that are classified one way athletically and another academically. Several of our freshmen, athletically, are sophomores academically and in some cases will be juniors at mid-term. This has been the case for the last 3 years. Many times, due to dual-credit high school classes,
              players will graduate "early" with eligibility left. They will then move to another school to complete a master's program. This is one reason there are very few upper-classmen on our roster. We are losing upper-classmen not only to the portal but to their ongoing education. The plan of having a team of 5th-year seniors simply is no longer viable.
              Hughes MUST adjust his recruiting to reflect the changing landscape of college athletics. Other coaches in the LSC have found a way to utilize the transfer players, Wt must follow their example. IMHO, winning is now based on who gets the best one and two-year players.
              That's an interesting perspective. However, all the D2 schools have been playing by the same rules. They already adjusted, we haven't. We seem to have pretty good talent, but they don't play well consistently. We've got plenty of kickers, but lousy kicking and average defense are hallmarks of the Hughes era, which will likely be below .500 career - unless it ends soon.

Did you see this week's rankings?

Comment

That's an interesting perspective. However, all the D2 schools have been playing by the same rules. They already adjusted, we haven't. We seem to have pretty good talent, but they don't play well consistently. We've got plenty of kickers, but lousy kicking and average defense are hallmarks of the Hughes era, which will likely be below .500 career - unless it ends soon.

Did you see this week's rankings?
                Yes, I saw the rankings, such as they are. I agree that other schools have adjusted and we have not. Hughes has not and is not making use of transfers, JUCO or otherwise.
                Hughes will be at WT the rest of this year and one more, IMHO.

Comment

I am as surprised by the outcome of the game as anyone else. It was entertaining if nothing else. Hoping we play WT in Canyon next year. I will pack well and probably stay. I am tired of Portland running the state, there are still some normal folks in Oregon but a lot of us are looking to leave. I need a place for the horses, and where I can hunt and shoot with less restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by 98wolf View Post
                    I am as surprised by the outcome of the game as anyone else. It was entertaining if nothing else. Hoping we play WT in Canyon next year. I will pack well and probably stay. I am tired of Portland running the state, there are still some normal folks in Oregon but a lot of us are looking to leave. I need a place for the horses, and where I can hunt and shoot with less restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                      Sheesh....I came here to see how much WT won by....I didn't count a loss to Western Oregon in the worst case scenario....

Forget 5-6....Looks like 3-8 with the 2 wins against NAIA competition....

Stick a fork in Hughes and hold the press conference Monday. No sense drawing this out the rest of the season.....
                      Who do you replace him with though? One of his hired coordinators that aren't having success?

Comment

We're seriously considering it. I don't believe Texas taxes retirement either.

Comment

We're seriously considering it. I don't believe Texas taxes retirement either.
                          No state income tax.
                          Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Canyon would be a great place to retire to. I live in South Amarillo, 10 min. from Canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Canyon would be a great place to retire to. I live in South Amarillo, 10 min. from Canyon.
                              If you really really like wind.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

If you really really like wind.
                                That is so spot on!Lol

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X