Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take wind and freedom vs what Oregon is turning into. I was in Law Enforcement for close to 20 years, prior to a career ending injury. I miss it, but the climate here is not one I'd miss.

Comment

Originally posted by 98wolf View Post
      I'll take wind and freedom vs what Oregon is turning into. I was in Law Enforcement for close to 20 years, prior to a career ending injury. I miss it, but the climate here is not one I'd miss.
      I am a frequent visitor to the Seattle area, but NOT Seattle itself. I used to go there from time to time, but they have too many issues, the surrounding communities don't. However, from October to about May, it rains WAY too much for me. If you don't mind flat land, wind and a variety of weather the Amarillo area may be for you. I think you would also enjoy the lower prices, including real estate. There is no state income tax but they hit you with property taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

No state income tax.

Comment

Property tax here is around 1%. Income tax, on average, is about 4.75%.

Comment

This is the trade off for not have to comply with a state like IRS for income taxes. I would advise anyone looking to make a move to Texas to look at the Hill Country region. There is still plenty of rural land which is relatively close to the major population centers on the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to Waco and west and east from there. The upside is many of those counties have low tax rates and you have a good chance of being unincorporated by the cities close to those developments as they use rural utilities and those cities would have to spend millions of dollars to take them over. Crime is relatively low and you get the best of both worlds living in a region with wonderful scenery, entertainment options galore along with some of the states better hospitals and universities close by. Home owners insurance is also much lower in the region compared to coast and the DFW area and tornado alley. My wife and I are looking for a move somewhere up that way in a few years.

Comment

I pay $0.192246 per $100 valuation in Collin County.

Comment

Property tax here is around 1%. Income tax, on average, is about 4.75%.
                Geez, time to move!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

I pay $0.192246 per $100 valuation in Collin County.

So on a $350,000 house, that's $672.70. That's cheap. Are you sure it's not $1.922 per $100?

What are your total annual property taxes as a percentage of your home value?

Comment

I am as surprised by the outcome of the game as anyone else. It was entertaining if nothing else. Hoping we play WT in Canyon next year. I will pack well and probably stay. I am tired of Portland running the state, there are still some normal folks in Oregon but a lot of us are looking to leave. I need a place for the horses, and where I can hunt and shoot with less restrictions.

Comment

Oregon has become Northern California. I like the plains and South Texas. I'm a country boy who likes working farms and ranches. The food, football, music, hunting, shooting sports are all better in Texas...and compared to Oregon the taxes are better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

So on a $350,000 house, that's $672.70. That's cheap. Are you sure it's not $1.922 per $100?

That's County Property Tax.....does not include school tax, city tax,, etc...which is based on the city of residence & ISD that covers your city.

And you could have JUCO tax also, if your city has a community college.

So....in Plano, for example,, the average home appraisal value is $344k. You pay $628 in PROPERTY TAX; $1,318 in City Tax; $4,595 in Plano ISD Tax; $270 in Community College Tax. = $6,811. So, 1.98% TOTAL taxes, but only 0.1922 in COUNTY PROPERTY Taxes
                        Last edited by ASUPops; 10-04-2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

This sounds like the county portion. Missing is the city and School district taxes along with other assessments collected such community college or hospital districts. After homestead exemption, that bill certainly has tonbe close to $6000 vs $600. If not, I want a piece of property up there.

Comment

Oregon has become Northern California. I like the plains and South Texas. I'm a country boy who likes working farms and ranches. The food, football, music, hunting, shooting sports are all better in Texas...and compared to Oregon the taxes are better too.

Comment

DFW 7.6 M

Houston 7.2 M
                              And Houston metro is the ARMPIT capital of Texas. HORRIBLE.....STAY AWAY.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

DFW 7.6 M

Houston 7.2 M
                                And Houston metro is the ARMPIT capital of Texas. HORRIBLE.....STAY AWAY.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X