Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Opinions vary. There are some not so great parts of the Houston area, primarily where the old oil refinery infrastructure was built in the first half of the last century, especially during the WWII era for strategic reasons.
    True.

However, Houston is one of the worst cities to me. And as you said, opinions vary.

Comment

Originally posted by 98wolf View Post

Oregon has become Northern California. I like the plains and South Texas. I'm a country boy who likes working farms and ranches. The food, football, music, hunting, shooting sports are all better in Texas...and compared to Oregon the taxes are better too.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

DFW 7.6 M

Houston 7.2 M
        And Houston metro is the ARMPIT capital of Texas. HORRIBLE.....STAY AWAY.
        We moved to Montgomery off Lake Conroe last year. At that time the new homes were affordable in the Houston Locality. I was able to get a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2000 sq. ft. house for 250K. Fast forward now those homes are running over 320K+.

Far western Montgomery county is way different than any other communities surrounding Houston.

Comment

I pay less than 1% of market. Still, it's almost $7,000 a year, a lot of money, IMO. That goes to public schools and the county (and we have no school age children). However, we don't pay Canyon city tax since our homeowner's area is unincorporated. City taxes would probably be another $2,000.

But......no income tax. Balanced with economic growth, business friendly regulations, and a positive Get-It-Done non-woke state government and you have a welcoming future environment till the crazy West Coast and NE Leftists overwhelm us like a plague of locusts.
          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-05-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

A get it done government lol, that's a good one chip.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I pay less than 1% of market. Still, it's almost $7,000 a year, a lot of money, IMO. That goes to public schools and the county (and we have no school age children). However, we don't pay Canyon city tax since our homeowner's area is unincorporated. City taxes would probably be another $2,000.

But......no income tax. Balanced with economic growth, business friendly regulations, and a positive Get-It-Done non-woke state government and you have a welcoming future environment till the crazy West Coast and NE Leftists overwhelm us like a plague of locusts.
              Wouldn't it help your business to the state have these folks come in to Texas?

As a note, my grandfather, born in Arkansas and a huge Razorback fan, moved to Oregon to work in a sawmill logging operation that was moving there from Arkansas. He used to say "If I owned Hell and Texas, I would live in Hell and rent out Texas".

I am not sure how it gets to a point that we see now where it is so tribal and we denigrate people from places we do not understand. We can live anywhere in this country. No one place is better than another except for personal preference. In my home state of Montana, it has become fashionable to tell people what generation Montanan you might be, and use that as some sort of credibility builder. When someone is blowharding like this, I will ask them why none of my Native American friends ever say that they are an "82nd generation Montanan"?

We just need to get over ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

As a note, my grandfather, born in Arkansas and a huge Razorback fan, moved to Oregon to work in a sawmill logging operation that was moving there from Arkansas. He used to say "If I owned Hell and Texas, I would live in Hell and rent out Texas".

I am not sure how it gets to a point that we see now where it is so tribal and we denigrate people from places we do not understand. We can live anywhere in this country. No one place is better than another except for personal preference. In my home state of Montana, it has become fashionable to tell people what generation Montanan you might be, and use that as some sort of credibility builder. When someone is blowharding like this, I will ask them why none of my Native American friends ever say that they are an "82nd generation Montanan"?

Comment

All of this. Yes.

Comment

Poor sap having to endure the stigma of Arkansas. One of the more popular state logos was the Arkansas Hillbilly smoking a corn pipe with missing teeth. Lest I forget the amusement park of Dogpatch USA . Can't get more Hillbilly than that. Lil Abner cartoon came to life.

I get his envy and hatred because I grew up about 18 miles from the Arkansas state line and have a ton of cousins that live there. I absolutely loathed the Razorbacks my entire childhood. The state is mostly poor and has one of the smallest populations in the country. There are more people in Houston than the whole state of Arkansas. Hot Springs in the spring when horse racing is going on is about the only thing that is their saving grace. Pretty sure Bigfoot lives in the Ozarks.

Comment

I get Chip's comment to a certain degree. At one of my former work places in the government when I lived in Austin this was a typical conversation with tons of new employees.

Me: Howdy and welcome to Texas. Where are you from?
                      New Employee: New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, etc.
                      Me: What brought you to Texas?
                      New Employee: This job and the state and local taxes back home are killing us. Here there are cheap houses, no state income tax, and no COVID restrictions.

When they start talking politics they almost always vote against why they came here in the first place.

My prediction is that Texas turns Blue by the 2032 election and then Tennessee or South Dakota will be the next no state income tax haven everyone flees too.

Comment

From your lips to GOD's ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I get Chip's comment to a certain degree. At one of my former work places in the government when I lived in Austin this was a typical conversation with tons of new employees.

Me: Howdy and welcome to Texas. Where are you from?
                          New Employee: New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, California, etc.
                          Me: What brought you to Texas?
                          New Employee: This job and the state and local taxes back home are killing us. Here there are cheap houses, no state income tax, and no COVID restrictions.

When they start talking politics they almost always vote against why they came here in the first place.

My prediction is that Texas turns Blue by the 2032 election and then Tennessee or South Dakota will be the next no state income tax haven everyone flees too.
                          Um, the Democratic Party DOMINATED Texas until the 1990's. And they will again.

Democrats dominate all metropolitan areas and majority of the Texas population lives in metro areas.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Um, the Democratic Party DOMINATED Texas until the 1990's. And they will again.

Democrats dominate all metropolitan areas and majority of the Texas population lives in metro areas.
                            True but Texas itself hasn't voted for a Democratic since Carter in 1976. These days once a state turns blue its extremely difficult for it to turn back red unless its Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

True but Texas itself hasn't voted for a Democratic since Carter in 1976. These days once a state turns blue its extremely difficult for it to turn back red unless its Ohio.
                              Correct on the presidential vote.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X